PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Why does the Samurai have Concentration?

Luccan
2017-03-27, 11:21 AM
I'm trying to do my own homebrew class, mixing the abilities of the Samurai base class (and hopefully boosting them) and the Ronin PRC, and while trying to figure out which skills to give it, I noticed the Samurai has concentration. Why do they need it? Does one of their abilities provoke or just (I assume) Intimidate checks in general?

Manyasone
2017-03-27, 11:29 AM
Back in 'The Olden Days' the designers in their infinite wisdom (apply a healthy dose of sarcasm) decided it was flavorful for a samurai to have concentration even if they receive no benefit for it. Only when diamond mind was introduced through ToB it became viable for martials. Also samurai can be a title instead of a class. Better that way in my opinion

Venger
2017-03-27, 11:30 AM
I'm trying to do my own homebrew class, mixing the abilities of the Samurai base class (and hopefully boosting them) and the Ronin PRC, and while trying to figure out which skills to give it, I noticed the Samurai has concentration. Why do they need it? Does one of their abilities provoke or just (I assume) Intimidate checks in general?

No reason. It doesn't have any reason to invest in concentration, it just has it, like monk.

Karl Aegis
2017-03-27, 11:34 AM
So when they prestige class out of the class they don't have to invest all their ranks into concentration if they want to be a caster class.

Luccan
2017-03-27, 11:37 AM
Back in 'The Olden Days' the designers in their infinite wisdom (apply a healthy dose of sarcasm) decided it was flavorful for a samurai to have concentration even if they receive no benefit for it. Only when diamond mind was introduced through ToB it became viable for martials. Also samurai can be a title instead of a class. Better that way in my opinion

Ah, I see. It seemed weird to me, but I assumed I just didn't know an obscure rule or something. As for the title vs class thing, I agree, but I think that applies to most of the more specifically flavored classes (otherwise might as well play the Generics from UA). Also, I like a lot of the abilities these both have, but Samurai is basically useless on it's own, so I'm trying to improve it, as many have before me.

Edit: I may or may not keep it then. I suspect this class won't rise above Tier 4, so easier access to ToB stuff might no be bad.

Karl Aegis
2017-03-27, 11:53 AM
They don't have many class features to improve. They get items worth a handful of gold coins and can stare at enemies. They might have a +1 to hit advantage at level 1 at best, but more likely they are selling their weapons for some consumables before they fall off hard.

Telonius
2017-03-27, 12:15 PM
So they can get more out of Diamond Mind maneuvers when they multiclass. :smallbiggrin:

Venger
2017-03-27, 12:16 PM
They don't have many class features to improve. They get items worth a handful of gold coins and can stare at enemies. They might have a +1 to hit advantage at level 1 at best, but more likely they are selling their weapons for some consumables before they fall off hard.

samurai in the wild (http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/will-fight-giant-monsters-for-food.jpg)

Inevitability
2017-03-27, 12:19 PM
There's actually fringe benefits for non-casters taking Concentration.

You must make a Concentration check whenever you might potentially be distracted (by taking damage, by harsh weather, and so on) while engaged in some action that requires your full attention. Such actions include casting a spell, concentrating on an active spell, directing a spell, using a spell-like ability, or using a skill that would provoke an attack of opportunity.

Luccan
2017-03-27, 12:24 PM
There's actually fringe benefits for non-casters taking Concentration.

That's why I figured Intimidate must provoke AoO. Because what other skills are they using that would (except maybe craft, but in the middle of a fight?)

Venger
2017-03-27, 01:05 PM
That's why I figured Intimidate must provoke AoO. Because what other skills are they using that would (except maybe craft, but in the middle of a fight?)
intimidate does not provoke aoos (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/intimidate.htm)

daremetoidareyo
2017-03-27, 01:27 PM
Craft (origami) does provoke. But what enemy can continue to attack you after hand them a paper crane, the intercultural sign of peace?

Bucky
2017-03-27, 01:31 PM
Because what other skills are they using that would (except maybe craft, but in the middle of a fight?)

Cross-class Jump, obviously.

Pleh
2017-03-27, 03:11 PM
I figure the concentration is meant to represent iaijutsu for games that don't explicitly have that skill.

It WOULD be cool to houserule that concentration can be used as the iaijutsu skill.

Telok
2017-03-27, 03:11 PM
Pseudo-historical simulationism. They probably thought that the concentration skill most appropriately represented meditation and focus. Might be wrapped up in whatever media they were familiar with depicting Bushido and Buddhism with typical pop culture accuracy.

Troacctid
2017-03-27, 03:17 PM
Heal can be used untrained and provokes attacks of opportunity unless you make a DC 15 Concentration check. Same with Use Rope. A naturally psionic Samurai can use Concentration to become psionically focused. The Samurai might also have racial spell-like or psi-like abilities that require concentration.

Necroticplague
2017-03-27, 05:16 PM
For fluff reasons. Being able to Concentrate is related to Samurai for the same reason Diamond Mind uses it as it's initiating skill. They, unfortunately, never got around to giving the Samurai anything specific to it that uses it.

Bucky
2017-03-27, 05:53 PM
Having extra class skills is always nice, especially since early 3.5 material tends to be so stingy with them and so demanding with PRC skill prerequisites. It doesn't harm anything and it makes fluff sense so I'd keep it.

Luccan
2017-03-27, 08:49 PM
Cross-class Jump, obviously.

One of the first skills I added, actually.

Mordaedil
2017-03-28, 01:24 AM
Clearly it's so they can multiclass as psychic warriors and always succeed on their psionic focus.

Obviously.