PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Classes 5 levels

Arzul
2017-03-27, 02:42 PM
Hey guys i am looking for a second level five prestige class for my fighter/warmage in my gestalt campaign i have found havoc mage and trying to look for another preferable to either sorcerer or barbarian cause i am looking at going into these classes next after another level of fighter/warmage so get more spells and be more frontline ready since i am the tank of the group but i am also looking towards necromancy spells like raise dead

thoroughlyS
2017-03-27, 02:44 PM
Abjurant Champion is a very popular choice on these boards. Full casting progression, full BAB, and some fun goodies.

Inevitability
2017-03-27, 02:57 PM
How many Havoc Mage levels do you have?

flappeercraft
2017-03-27, 03:02 PM
Knight Phantom from the Five nations web enhancement could be useful if you can fullfill its requirements. Certainly better than Eldritch knight.

Arzul
2017-03-27, 03:12 PM
Abjurant Champion is a very popular choice on these boards. Full casting progression, full BAB, and some fun goodies.

looks like mixing havoc mage and abjurant champion will work cause i have thought about throwing in rage mage into the mix lol

Arzul
2017-03-27, 03:19 PM
How many Havoc Mage levels do you have?

haven't started to take any yet just planning ahead of time

Khedrac
2017-03-27, 03:22 PM
Hey guys i am looking for a second level five prestige class for my fighter/warmage in my gestalt campaign i have found havoc mage and trying to look for another preferable to either sorcerer or barbarian cause i am looking at going into these classes next after another level of fighter/warmage so get more spells and be more frontline ready since i am the tank of the group but i am also looking towards necromancy spells like raise dead
Key word is bolded - the Gestalt rules suggestion prohibit theurge classes (once that advance two things at one like Eldritch Knight and Abjurrant CHampion) - is your DM enforcing this?

If the DM is enfocing this forget the dual advancmeent classes that boost both your casting and fighting, decide whether you want the prestige class to boost casting or fighting and then look for an appropriate class for that half.
If not, then there are a lot of possiblilites, Abjurrant Champion is excellent, SpellSword has a lot of uses, etc. What type of fighter/mage do you want to be?

Arzul
2017-03-27, 03:39 PM
Key word is bolded - the Gestalt rules suggestion prohibit theurge classes (once that advance two things at one like Eldritch Knight and Abjurrant CHampion) - is your DM enforcing this?

If the DM is enfocing this forget the dual advancmeent classes that boost both your casting and fighting, decide whether you want the prestige class to boost casting or fighting and then look for an appropriate class for that half.
If not, then there are a lot of possiblilites, Abjurrant Champion is excellent, SpellSword has a lot of uses, etc. What type of fighter/mage do you want to be?

i'm looking at frontline since i am the tank and not enforcing too much he orginally wanted me to be a hobgoblin sorcerer/barbarian to go rage mage lol only thing he has said on prestige classes is that it must be 10 levels total

Inevitability
2017-03-28, 01:18 AM
haven't started to take any yet just planning ahead of time

Then maybe not take it. Havoc Mage has only medium BAB and partial casting progression. Two levels of havoc mage give +1 BAB and +1 level of casting, which is, as you may notice, equal to just advancing your base classes. Something like Abjurant Champion or Knight Phantom, however, advances both spellcasting and BAB by 2.

Battlecast isn't worth it either. It removes your ability to full attack or charge, eats up your actions for a round, and is capped at 2nd-level spells unless you take even more Havoc Mage levels (hint: don't).

Arzul
2017-03-29, 04:04 PM
Then maybe not take it. Havoc Mage has only medium BAB and partial casting progression. Two levels of havoc mage give +1 BAB and +1 level of casting, which is, as you may notice, equal to just advancing your base classes. Something like Abjurant Champion or Knight Phantom, however, advances both spellcasting and BAB by 2.

Battlecast isn't worth it either. It removes your ability to full attack or charge, eats up your actions for a round, and is capped at 2nd-level spells unless you take even more Havoc Mage levels (hint: don't).

knight phantom wouldn't work for what i am going for i'm working on going towards front line since i am the tank

Gullintanni
2017-03-29, 05:59 PM

Is that really how this works? Full BAB, casting classes PrCs are consider "Theurges" per the Gestalt rules?

I thought the prohibition on Theurges was for Mystic Theurges, or Cerebremancers or the like.

Inevitability
2017-03-30, 12:37 AM
knight phantom wouldn't work for what i am going for i'm working on going towards front line since i am the tank

Why wouldn't a knight phantom be able to fight in the frontlines?

animewatcha
2017-03-30, 01:57 AM
Gestalt classes is geared more toward 'actual' dual advancing classes like Mystic Theurge and Arcane Hierophant, not eldritch knight.

Khedrac
2017-03-30, 02:04 AM
Is that really how this works? Full BAB, casting classes PrCs are consider "Theurges" per the Gestalt rules?

I thought the prohibition on Theurges was for Mystic Theurges, or Cerebremancers or the like.
The answer on this is "possibly - ask your DM". As I understand it the Gestalt rules are a set of guidelines rather than a full body of rules, so this particular "rule" which is even more of a guideline than most, is really unclear.

ATHATH
2017-03-30, 12:12 PM

Yeah, as far as I can tell, it's just a PrC that advances spellcasting that happens to have Full BAB. If you had, say, Monk on the other side, would a 3/4 BAB class that progressed spellcasting be an issue?

ATHATH
2017-03-30, 12:13 PM
Why wouldn't a knight phantom be able to fight in the frontlines?
Yeah; the only class feature that the Knight Phantom has that's related to mounted combat is his ability to cast Phantom Steed a couple of times per day, which you can just ignore.

Inevitability
2017-03-30, 01:03 PM
Yeah; the only class feature that the Knight Phantom has that's related to mounted combat is his ability to cast Phantom Steed a couple of times per day, which you can just ignore.

Even then: mounted combat and melee go pretty well together. Lances are a thing, after all.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-03-30, 04:51 PM

Well, Eldritch Knight is one of three classes named as "essentially a combination of two classes" (the others are Mystic Theurge and Arcane Trickster), so yes, that's how it works - having full base attack means you're a 'fighter theurge', having sneak attack means you're a 'rogue theurge'. The rule is on par with Favoured Class rules in terms of stupidity, so I suggest scrapping it entirely.

Arzul
2017-04-01, 10:33 PM
Well i'd like to thank you guys for the advice i am going to have to make another post for a different character i got bad news after last nights game so yeah my fighter/warmage made bad choices and ended the night Chaotic Evil so he has let the guild guard down since the guild guard is Chaotic Neutral so he has to repent and stay at HQ

ATHATH
2017-04-02, 03:55 PM
Well i'd like to thank you guys for the advice i am going to have to make another post for a different character i got bad news after last nights game so yeah my fighter/warmage made bad choices and ended the night Chaotic Evil so he has let the guild guard down since the guild guard is Chaotic Neutral so he has to repent and stay at HQ
What'd he do?