PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Opinions on modifying Sneak Attack after inclusion of Tumble and Flanking

Albions_Angel
2017-03-27, 03:46 PM
Hi all

I am making some game modifications for an upcoming campaign. Slightly higher power than then books suggest (4d6, drop lowest AND reroll 1s, or 32 pt buy, max 18), and I have added a lot of the variant combat rules in the DMG, with some minor modifications.

For example, I have included the Flanking rule, as we will be using minis and a battlemat extensively. I am also using Tumble rules as written, with the addition that a failure provokes AoO, but still allows you to move though. And I modified Mark, so its basically the 3.5e Aid Another rule but it grants advantage. With my own death rules, it makes combat far more of a risk/reward, play defensive or be heroic type event.

My question is, should I modify Sneak Attack to remove the ability to trigger it from merely having allies within 5' of the opponent, now that there are more ways to get advantage? I am comfortable with my other house rules, as are my prospective players, and another DM who I asked to vet for me, but I havnt been able to run my Sneak Attack question past him yet.

Side question: What do fellow DMs do for reach weapons, regarding rules that require being within 5'? For example, if you are prone, attackers within 5' get advantage on you. My gut is, in those situations, whatever applies to 5' melee also applies to 10' reach melee. Just want to feel out a consensus.

RSP
2017-03-27, 04:50 PM
My understanding of the intent, is the rules support Rogues regularly getting to use Sneak Attack, so I wouldn't nerf their ability to get it.

Our table tried Flanking when we first started with 5e and found we didn't like it: it made it way too easy to get Advantage. Even if you're okay with the increased effectiveness of everyone's attacks (PCs and NPCs) and the resulting increased deadliness of combat, keep in mind, it kind of makes a lot of abilities pointless: Reckless Attack, engeance Paladins' Oath Ability, Shield Master, Pack Tactics, etc., so these abilities, and associated monsters/feats/classes, lose some luster.

That said, I imagine TWF gains a little more, assuming you're usually getting Advantage with the extra attack.

AttilatheYeon
2017-03-27, 05:02 PM
i'd leave the triggers for sneak attack as is. The one time i played with the flanking rules, it didn't really make a difference. And rogues are already behind fighters and palli s on the melee damage curve.

Lombra
2017-03-27, 05:54 PM
For the SA I'd leave it unchanged, and for the 5ft rule you should apply it literally: 5 feets are 5 feets, and within range is within range, two different things for different occasions. So yeah, you don't get advantage for poking with an halberd someone prone 10ft away. Unless you want to houserule it obviously, but this would make reach weapons even stronger than they are now imo.