PDA

View Full Version : Sheet help.

Vinc
2017-03-27, 03:53 PM
Hi guys!

I´m new on the forum (I just said hello in the new members thread). I´m 24 and I´d like to start playing dnd!

I have the player´s handbook and (after hours of reading and watching) I´m trying to create my first character sheet using the book and taking some ideas from internet and youtube but still prety confused and i´m not sure if it´s good. Could you please guys help me? the character will be a druid level 4. I´m also working on the background right now.

please check the sheet here-> myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1158609

I would love to join to a group of players or if any1 want to explain me how this works and maybe do a demo or something i would really appreciate it.

thanks!!

Venger
2017-03-27, 03:58 PM
Hi guys!

I´m new on the forum (I just said hello in the new members thread). I´m 24 and I´d like to start playing dnd!

I have the player´s handbook and (after hours of reading and watching) I´m trying to create my first character sheet using the book and taking some ideas from internet and youtube but still prety confused and i´m not sure if it´s good. Could you please guys help me? the character will be a druid level 4. I´m also working on the background right now.

please check the sheet here-> myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1158609

I would love to join to a group of players or if any1 want to explain me how this works and maybe do a demo or something i would really appreciate it.

thanks!!

welcome!

all the resources from the phb are available online (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) for ease of reference.

Your sheet is more or less blank. Is there something specific you wanted feedback on?

you can find people to play with that meet your needs here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Finding-Players-(Recruitment))

and eggynack wrote the definitive handbook on how to play druids here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook) so that'll get you acquainted with the basics.

theasl
2017-03-27, 04:02 PM
One thing I'd recommend for someone starting out is to get a character sheet program like PCGen (http://pcgen.org/) - it's a bit clunky and slow, but it'll help you through the creation and leveling process. I know it definitely helped me learn character creation to the point that I can do it now without the program.

Just in case you were wondering, I'm not in any way associated with PCGen, I just really like it. And it's free, anyways.

Vinc
2017-03-27, 04:19 PM
thanks!! i really appreciate it!

I will check the eggynack post and definitely i will try out the program!

thanks again!

GilesTheCleric
2017-03-27, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the Playground.

Page 6 of the PHB lists what to do in order to make a character. The chapters are conveniently in the same order, so if you start with a blank sheet and work your way through the book, at the end you'll have a complete character.

In regards to your mythweavers sheet, a few tips. First, it's good to try and have even ability scores, since you only get an increased ability mod on even numbers. Second, it looks like you'd like to start at level 4. I recommend instead building your character to be level 1 first.

Third, you'll want to make sure you fill out all the fields. One of the most important pieces of info for building a character is the class table (page 35 for druids). At each level, you get everything listed on the appropriate level's row. Each time you level, you'll use the next row in the table instead. Your mythweaver sheet is currently missing your base saves, and base attack bonus from that table.

Fourth, spellcasting classes are a little more complicated than mundane classes (eg fighter or barbarian), since there's more rules you need to know. For example, your level 4 druid won't yet have access to the Scrying spell, since that's a fourth-level Druid spell. At fourth level, druids can only access second-level spells, as you can see on the class table. It makes sense when you consider that the maximum character level is 20, but the maximum spell level is 9 -- you'll only be able to access new spell levels every two or so character levels, as shown on the class table.

Fifth, if you're joining your first game, druid is a good class to choose. Other good classes for learning include cleric, fighter, or barbarian. I personally would recommend fighter or barbarian, since again you'll need to know fewer rules that way -- I don't mean that as a slight, just that there's a lot of rules to learn in 3rd edition compared to other TTRPGs and other editions.

If you would like to roll up a Cleric, I have a Quick-builder (https://docs.google.com/document/d/11wxOmk4XSZOi_39LxlOVAff19bzq5bOzzkF7xv-uies/edit#heading=h.gp3obvwzh508) that should help you decide what to pick during character creation, as well as guide you a little in learning how the class works and what sorts of things to focus on. It's just two or so pages altogether. Eggynack's guide is excellent, but it is quite lengthy. I will also recommend it if you don't mind the reading.

Finally, this is a pretty old game, and the folks here on the forums use a lot of jargon since we're all very familiar with it. I've got a list of terminology (https://docs.google.com/document/d/14D5o2dCyDVgni91iuVFrs2RDRDaCD7O-dUkcO5CCIcE/edit?usp=sharing) if you run across a term or acronym and aren't sure what it means.

flappeercraft
2017-03-27, 06:16 PM
One thing, I would recommend you to make a backup for your druid outside of mythweavers as about 2-4 months ago something happened and all information got wiped out. Also if you want a game to join you can join one I'm currently DMing although if you want to I must warn that it is made for optimization and made to be hard even for really optimized characters so you would struggle at the beginning but you could pickup pretty well on how to play and be optimized quick if you pay attention. If you're interested just send me a PM and I'll give you the details on it.

Also, just checked your druid and the HP is wrong. Even if you rolled an 8 (Maximum) on the 3 rolls (first one is maximum automatically IIRC) then due to constitution HP penalty you would still be at 28 (since you have -1 penalty on constitution substract 1 from the HP made from each level.

ATHATH
2017-03-27, 06:48 PM
Hey Giles, why isn't Divine Power on the list of spells for your Cleric quick-build guide?

Also, you've put Divine Metamagic on there, but not Persist Spell. You might also want to mention that you can swap out domains for devotion feats.

GilesTheCleric
2017-03-27, 08:37 PM
Hey Giles, why isn't Divine Power on the list of spells for your Cleric quick-build guide?

Also, you've put Divine Metamagic on there, but not Persist Spell. You might also want to mention that you can swap out domains for devotion feats.

Divine Power didn't fit under the 5-spell limit, since I already had two other buff spells that I think are more important (Death Ward and FoM), though I suppose you could argue that Divine Power is a better generic pick than Death Ward. My thinking was that not all Clerics will make use of Divine Power, but all Clerics and their party can make use of Death Ward, since it's touch-range. I might swap the two, though, thank you for mentioning it.

Divine Metamagic is the powerful feat, not Persist. Persist is okay, but Extend or other MMs are frequently better. Around here, it's just about heresy not to tout it, so maybe I should put it in just to please everyone.

Good point on devotion feats, thank you.

Vinc
2017-03-28, 06:39 AM
One thing, I would recommend you to make a backup for your druid outside of mythweavers as about 2-4 months ago something happened and all information got wiped out. Also if you want a game to join you can join one I'm currently DMing although if you want to I must warn that it is made for optimization and made to be hard even for really optimized characters so you would struggle at the beginning but you could pickup pretty well on how to play and be optimized quick if you pay attention. If you're interested just send me a PM and I'll give you the details on it.

Also, just checked your druid and the HP is wrong. Even if you rolled an 8 (Maximum) on the 3 rolls (first one is maximum automatically IIRC) then due to constitution HP penalty you would still be at 28 (since you have -1 penalty on constitution substract 1 from the HP made from each level.

thank you flappeercraft sounds great! I'm very excited! I will try to have my sheet ready asap!

I also wanna thanks Gilesthecleric who is going to help me to create my first sheet :smallbiggrin: In the meant time I will be studying the terminology :smalltongue:

Mutazoia
2017-03-28, 06:48 AM
You can also go "old school" and draw one out on graph paper. Back in the day I did that, cut out the sections I made and then played around with their layout (old school print layout for news print style) on another sheet of graph. When I got the look I liked I photo copied that. Obviously this is back before the age of scanners and crap. But there is something to be said for the more tactile approach, over going completely digital.

Vinc
2017-03-28, 07:10 AM
You can also go "old school" and draw one out on graph paper. Back in the day I did that, cut out the sections I made and then played around with their layout (old school print layout for news print style) on another sheet of graph. When I got the look I liked I photo copied that. Obviously this is back before the age of scanners and crap. But there is something to be said for the more tactile approach, over going completely digital.

Thanks Mutazoia i will take it into account! i think is a good start playing with that and get use to it.. at the end of the day is practice and practice makes perfect (or thats what people say :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: )