PDA

View Full Version : Sorc x/Warlock 3 Useful in low/shurt campaign?

Desiani
2017-03-27, 08:33 PM
I am starting with a new group in a few weeks and I know for a fact we are either starting at 1 or 3 depending on DM's story need. I am wanting to play a GoO Tome lock who roams the land as a wizard who tutors nobles in magic.

The issue I am struggling with is what i start with. If we start at 3 I know i'm going to start out at Sorc1/Lock2 if the DM says I can take Invocation Book of the Ancients at warlock 2 when I plan on going Tome when I reach sorc1/lock3. My question is, If he doesn't allow this, would starting Lock 3 be more advantageous?

Also, is the multi class even worth doing at a campaign that might only last till level 7?

Dalebert
2017-03-28, 07:35 AM
The synergy between warlock and sorcerer can be fantastic but only if you get a decent number of short rests. You can do things like create extra spell slots then rest and make some more. In some cases, you could take multiple short rests while others are taking a long rest as long as you don't need the benefits of a long rest, especially if you're an elf.

Also, is the multi class even worth doing at a campaign that might only last till level 7?

How strong of a "might" is it? I'll simplify the question for my answer. If the campaign ends at level 7, then no, not worth it. Sorcerers are very weak until 3rd level. Most classes suck at 1st level but get some really good class feature at 2nd (action surge, cunning action, jack of all trades, wizard archetype abilities, etc.). All sorcerers get is an extra 1st level spell. Metamagic is so good, it kinda makes up for that.

Also, warlock and/or sorcerer seem like odd choices for a character who teaches others magic. They don't actually know how to use magic. The sorcerer has innate powers and the warlock made a deal for power. The most I could see is maybe your warlock setting up a meeting with their patron to help others make a deal with it for power.

Desiani
2017-03-28, 08:52 AM
The synergy between warlock and sorcerer can be fantastic but only if you get a decent number of short rests. You can do things like create extra spell slots then rest and make some more. In some cases, you could take multiple short rests while others are taking a long rest as long as you don't need the benefits of a long rest, especially if you're an elf.

How strong of a "might" is it? I'll simplify the question for my answer. If the campaign ends at level 7, then no, not worth it. Sorcerers are very weak until 3rd level. Most classes suck at 1st level but get some really good class feature at 2nd (action surge, cunning action, jack of all trades, wizard archetype abilities, etc.). All sorcerers get is an extra 1st level spell. Metamagic is so good, it kinda makes up for that.

Also, warlock and/or sorcerer seem like odd choices for a character who teaches others magic. They don't actually know how to use magic. The sorcerer has innate powers and the warlock made a deal for power. The most I could see is maybe your warlock setting up a meeting with their patron to help others make a deal with it for power.

The wizard bit is mostly because I had planned to go shadow or death favored soul and was using the wandering mentor as a cover as to hide his/her dark life path :p

BW022
2017-03-28, 01:25 PM
The usual reasons for multi-classing to provide low-level survival (start with a level of fighter for the hit point and armor), provide missing roles for a party (take a level of cleric so you can get healing), or for roleplaying reasons.

It don't see sorcerer/1 helping a warlock much. If you look at sorcerer/1 warlock/2 vs. warlock/3... you've gained some cantrips, two sorcerer spells, two first-level slots, and maybe a natural AC bonus. You have lost 2nd-level spells slots, a spell known (likely two second level slots), three cantrips (of any class), 2hp, etc. You are giving up spells such as darkness, hold person, mirror image, spider climb, etc. You are also a level further away from more warlock abilities, stat increases, etc.

I'd ask... does anything there help you in survival, fulfilling a missing role, or roleplaying. A level of bard would give you more.

Personally, if you want to big time utility spell wielder at low-levels... either take a level of wizard (so you at least have 1st-level rituals, a lot more spells known, slots plus and arcane recovery), or take a level of bard or cleric with a lot of rituals and take the ritual casting feat (wizard). Then you know a ton of spells and can ritual cast a lot of them. You don't have to wait until 5th-level to gain ritual through tomb warlock. Take another pact -- maybe chain as you'd already have a lot of utility spells by then. Most utility rituals are 1st-level and most are on the wizard list. The ritual casting feat (or a level of wizard) gives you most of them. A cleric or bard gives the ability to ritual cast a lot of the non-wizard utility spell if you want them.

The main reason for sorcerer/warlocks is for sorcerer/2 to get the meta-magic feats to apply to eldritch blast. This is painful to tomb locks as they don't get ritual spells until 5th, meaning sorcerer/2 delays that until 7th. Even by 5th, the benefits of most low-level rituals is pretty minor as you have mundane or magical ways to avoid them.

SharkForce
2017-03-28, 05:42 PM
have to agree that it doesn't seem worthwhile.

imo, sorcerer might as well not even exist until level 3. there is precisely one compelling mechanical reason (so not counting RP reasons) to be a sorcerer so long as you're using the official version, and that is metamagic. if you aren't getting that, sorcerer is basically a trap.