PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Odd character concept: Criminal Goblin Ancients Paladin - Roleplay Help

mgshamster
2017-03-27, 10:23 PM
So I have to play an Oath of the Ancients Paladin that grew up in goblin society and is a criminal in human society.

His backstory is that he grew up with a goblin tribe, survived by stealing (burglary) from humans. Was caught, did hard time. Discovered an ancient tomb that led him to become a Level 1 Paladin (with plans on going to Oath of the Ancients).

How would such a guy interpret (aka roleplay) the Ancients​ Tenants?

For reference, here are the Tenants:

Kindle the Light. Through your acts of mercy, kindness, and forgiveness, kindle the light of hope in the world, beating back despair.

Shelter the Light. Where there is good, beauty, love, and laughter in the world, stand against the wickedness that would swallow it. Where life flourishes, stand against the forces that would render it barren.

Preserve Your Own Light. Delight in song and laughter, in beauty and art. If you allow the light to die in your own heart, you can’t preserve it in the world.

Be the Light. Be a glorious beacon for all who live in despair. Let the light of your joy and courage shine forth in all your deeds.

I started this PC wanting to play an ancients paladin, but I didn't know anything else about him.

So I asked my D&D buddies to pick a race and background for me. Those jerks chose goblin criminal. Alright, let's work with that. When I don't know what to do with a PC, I usually roll on the trinket table and generate a backstory from that. I rolled, "tiny portrait of a goblin." How fitting.

Then I saw the DM's "Reason for Being Here" and saw The Mystery of the Magic Trees. Oh my is that perfect for this PC. This Reason is a local goblin tribe trades with the local town these.magic apples which cure any disease. The townfolk always try to cultivate the fruit, but any saplings that make it to 2' tall mysteriously disappear.

So here we have our little goblin. He found himself in prison after a life of thievery, doing hard labor on a local farm. He has a son, but he hasn't seen him since he was captured a year ago. All he has is a small portrait of him. He keeps it close to his heart. He writes letters when he can, and when the caravans show up to bring in goods or haul off product, he tries to convince one of the caravanners to deliver it. He has never learned whether they arrive.

While working the farm, the ground beneath him collapsed and he found himself in an old abandoned chamber underneath the farmland. It seemed to be a temple of some sort, dedicated to some old forgotten hero. He explored a bit, and found an odd orb, which when touched, imparted visions into his head. After the first vision, he quickly scampered out to resume his labors, praying he wasn't caught; he didn't know how long he was gone. He wasn't missed, his absence wasn't even noticed. It turned out, the farm owner couldn't tell one goblin from the next. So with a combination of safety in obscurity and a bit of curiosity, he snuck back in to experience it more. And he continued to do so every day he could. Not every day, mind you, sometimes not for weeks at a time, but when he could slip away, he did.

Over time, he learned that goblins weren't always the nasty little creatures everyone considers them - him - to be, but were actually one of the great races, respected by all others. They were the heroes of the land, the warriors of justice and light, protectors of the natural world. But this was a long time ago, so long it's been forgotten by everyone, even his own people, even the elven historians. This place, this Temple, was the home to one of those ancient and respected warriors.

Seasons passed, and then came the day he heard word of his son. A strange illness had befallen him; his son was dying and no one could cure him. He knew he had to escape. He knew he had to make his way to the fabled apples of the Goblins of the Ravine to save his son. But he couldn't go as himself. He would have to adopt a disguise, change his name, be someone he was not.

So he rushed to his secret place and grabbed the weapons and armor from the ancient heroic warrior. He would become that ancient warrior; mimick the ways of the the Goblin's anceint ancestors who once served the Light. And he would go by their old forgotten name for such great heroes: the Ngko Bei Len.

Basically, I'm trying to find some role-playing inspiration to be able to intertwine all three aspects of him: being a criminal, being a goblin, being an Ancients Oath Paladin.

Oh, and this PC has to be able to work with other races (aka other PCs). This is not a monster PC game. This will be for The Sunless Citadel.

Callin
2017-03-27, 10:47 PM
In the Tomb he is visited by "The Pretty Lady" and she converts him to follow her. Either a Godess of Beauty or something along those lines of a Fey Shide or whatever works for you. So now goes around talking about her and trying to be good enough for her.

MrMcBobb
2017-03-28, 06:27 AM
Hoggle from the Labyrinth might be of use as an RP concept? Depends what you want from him.

To be honest your backstory looks solid enough to go in blind and just rattle around inside the concept of a downtrodden underclass rising above his station to show the world how to get **** done.

Perhaps have him not believe fully in the OoA tenants but he knows that they are his only hope of saving his son, they become his gospel. Not because he fully believes and appreciates them but because subconsciously he knows if the apples don't work his son dies, so he has to defend that principle with his life.

Addaran
2017-03-28, 06:40 AM
The orb could be an old relic from one of the good goblin gods, way back then. Maglubiyet is said to have killed the whole pantheon of goblin gods, so if your DM is okay with it, in old times, the good gods could have been the majority.

Eventually opposing Maglubiyet and freeing all the goblins from the tyranny of evil could be is goal, once he's cured his son.

He'd try to be an example to other goblins and show them they can be good and redeemed. All the while proving to humans that goblins can be good and trusted. It would be an insanely hard mission though, since humans won't treat goblins well until they are good and goblins won't trust humans to live with them in peace until they stop hating them.

As for the "light", try to come up with non-evil things the goblins enjoy when they left alone and have free time. They could love their rat pets, have some kind of game or parents carve small wooden soldiers for their children.

mgshamster
2017-03-28, 06:45 AM
To be honest your backstory looks solid enough to go in blind and just rattle around inside the concept of a downtrodden underclass rising above his station to show the world how to get **** done.

Perhaps have him not believe fully in the OoA tenants but he knows that they are his only hope of saving his son, they become his gospel. Not because he fully believes and appreciates them but because subconsciously he knows if the apples don't work his son dies, so he has to defend that principle with his life.

I like these two suggestions.

I've been trying to wrap my head around how a goblin criminal would be joyous and protect all that is beautiful.

The first shows him as less joyous and more, "let's just protect this ****." The second shows him as, "It doesn't matter what I truly feel, I just need to fake it; as long as everyone else believes I believe it, it will all work out."

I think those can work out well in the roleplay. Thanks!

mgshamster
2017-03-28, 06:47 AM
Addaran, those are some great additions. I can weave that into the long term story as well. Thanks!