PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Roguish Soulknife and Psychic Warrior [PEACH and all that] (Added Psychic Warrior)

ATHATH
2017-03-27, 10:52 PM
This is mostly just a concept that's been rolling around in my head that I've spontaneously decided to write up, so don't expect any pretty formatting or the like.

Rogue Archetype: Roguish Soulknife:

Some Soulknives devote less time to their psionic training so that they can focus on honing a wide variety of skills.

3rd Level Features:

Psionics: If you already possess Psionics, your Roguish Soulknife levels count as 1/3 of a Mystic level each for determining your disciplines, psi points, talents, and psi limit. You may choose to use CHA as your psionic ability (thus adjusting the save DCs and attack modifiers of your disciplines, among other things), if you wish.

If you do not already possess Psionics (or later gain a level of Mystic), gain disciplines known, psi points, talents known, and a psi limit equivalent to that of a Mystic of 1/3 of your Roguish Soulknife level. Unlike a Mystic, however, you use CHA as your psionic ability instead of INT (thus adjusting the save DCs and attack modifiers of your disciplines, among other things).

Psionic Focus: As the Mystic class feature.

Soul Knife: As the Order of the Soul Knife archetype class feature. You are proficient with your soul knives. You cannot gain this class feature twice.

9th Level Features:

Hone the Blade: As the Order of the Soul Knife archetype class feature. You cannot gain this class feature twice.

13th Level Features:

Multitasking: Being able to focus on multiple things at once (lockpicking while watching your back, pickpocketing while smooth-talking a mark, etc.) is an almost-mandatory skill for a Rogue to have. You have learned how to apply it to your Psionics.

You may have two psychic foci at the same time, provided that are both not applied to the same discipline simultaneously. You can only move one psychic focus at a time with a single bonus action, however.

17th Level Features:

Adaptability: Most Rogues are able to improvise and adapt to new situations, and you are no exception.

After a short or long rest, you may treat one discipline of your choice as if you knew it (you may focus your psionic focus on it, spend psi points on it, etc.) until you finish your next short or long rest.

Fighter Archetype: Psychic Warrior:

Masters of both mind and body, Psychic Warriors are formidable combatants.

3rd Level Features:

Psionics: If you already possess Psionics, your Psychic Warrior levels count as 1/3 of a Mystic level each for determining your disciplines, psi points, talents, and psi limit. You may choose to use WIS as your psionic ability (thus adjusting the save DCs and attack modifiers of your disciplines, among other things), if you wish.

If you do not already possess Psionics (or later gain a level of Mystic), gain disciplines known, psi points, talents known, and a psi limit equivalent to that of a Mystic of 1/3 of your Psychic Warrior level. Unlike a Mystic, however, you use WIS as your psionic ability instead of INT (thus adjusting the save DCs and attack modifiers of your disciplines, among other things).

Psionic Focus: As the Mystic class feature.

Bonus Discipline: You learn one additional psionic discipline of your choice. It must be chosen from among the Immortal disciplines.

7th Level Features:

Unbreakable Concentration: You have trained to ignore distractions, like being stabbed or having your face melted off. Whenever you fail a concentration check, you may use your reaction and spend 3 psi points to treat the check as a success. You may use this ability only once per turn, even if you have more than one reaction.

10th Level Features:

Reaping Critical: You can harvest latent psionic energy from slain foes. Whenever you kill an enemy creature that has a CR of at least 1/3 of your character level with a critical hit, you may gain a number of temporary psi points equal to that creature's INT score. While these temporary psi points can exceed your maximum psi point limit, they will fade away after 1 round per Psychic Warrior level that you have.

15th Level Features:

More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine: A skilled Psychic Warrior can use Psionics to anchor his soul to the plane that he is on, allowing him to fight on after death. Once per week, when you die while you still have at least one psi point, you may choose to return as a ghost. Use the standard stats for a ghost, but use your maximum HP, proficiency bonus, ability scores, and proficiencies instead of the ghost's. While you can gain XP as a ghost, you cannot use that XP to level up until you're resurrected. Unlike most undead, your ghost's existence does not prevent you from being resurrected. Your ghost remains until 30 days have passed, you are resurrected, you decide to cease being a ghost, or your ghost is destroyed.

18th Level Features:

Psionic Celerity: A Psychic Warrior of tremendous skill can act at speed that others can only dream of. You may use 5 PP to gain an extra use of your Action Surge class feature until your next short or long rest.

ATHATH
2017-03-27, 10:55 PM
Should I bring the Roguish Soulknife's Psionics progression down to 1/3 that of a Mystic?

BoogieFrights
2017-03-28, 08:11 AM
So this is an archetype for a rouge that can easily mc in to mystic?

ATHATH
2017-03-28, 10:16 AM
So this is an archetype for a rouge that can easily mc in to mystic?
It's supposed to be similar to that Rogue archetype that gets 1/3 casting progression. Psychic Warrior is going to be similar to the Eldritch Knight archetype.

I think I've decided to bring the Roguish Soulknife's Psionics progression down to 1/3 that of a Mystic, so as to bring it more in-line with that Rogue archetype that gets 1/3 casting.

ATHATH
2017-03-28, 10:33 AM
I'm thinking about removing Hone the Blade, moving Multitasking down to 9th, and adding Phantom Knife at 13th. The main problem that I can see with this is that the Roguish Soulknife will only have access to multiple disciplines at 15th (!) level. I think that Phantom Knife will synergize really well with Sneak Attack, though. I think that it'd work if I brought Psionics progression back up to 1/2 that of a Mystic, but I don't know if that will be too strong.

Should I?

ATHATH
2017-03-28, 03:30 PM
What do you think of my Psychic Warrior archetype?

ravencroft0
2017-03-28, 11:20 PM
For your rogue option, have you considered converting the lurk?

I'm on the fence about psychic warriors, as I'm not even sure they're necessary. Order of the Immortal has the tank aspect covered. Order of the Avatar sort of has the battle master/paladin angle covered. Soul knife is rogue (sort of) and takes care of the armored combat angle. Awakened and Wu Jen ..... not fighters at all, but they're still cool.

All that said, I would recommend very limited use of psionics, just as E.K. has limited use of magic. I recommend two order's disciplines max, but one will always be Immortal, similar to how the E.k. can only have spells from the 2 schools.

Historically psychic warriors used wisdom for psionics, which seems okay -- not a big deal. I don't think it should have a bonus discipline for the same reason the soul knife mystic doesn't.

7th level looks okay, but I would limit it to a certain number of times per day.

10th level ability feels like it would have been better on your soul knife as that is where it originates. keeping track of psi point time limit could be a pain at higher levels.

15th level ability reads a little wonky and op, considering the essence of it is an Immortal mystic capstone. While the Immortal cap is pretty much a save or die, yours looks like pretty much die.

18th seems okay, but 1/long rest would be better, imho.

There are a few other ways you can make a psychic warrior and I'm not about to besmirch your efforts as it doesn't look bad at all. good gaming bud.

ATHATH
2017-03-29, 02:20 AM
For your rogue option, have you considered converting the lurk?

I'm on the fence about psychic warriors, as I'm not even sure they're necessary. Order of the Immortal has the tank aspect covered. Order of the Avatar sort of has the battle master/paladin angle covered. Soul knife is rogue (sort of) and takes care of the armored combat angle. Awakened and Wu Jen ..... not fighters at all, but they're still cool.

All that said, I would recommend very limited use of psionics, just as E.K. has limited use of magic. I recommend two order's disciplines max, but one will always be Immortal, similar to how the E.k. can only have spells from the 2 schools.

Historically psychic warriors used wisdom for psionics, which seems okay -- not a big deal. I don't think it should have a bonus discipline for the same reason the soul knife mystic doesn't.

7th level looks okay, but I would limit it to a certain number of times per day.

10th level ability feels like it would have been better on your soul knife as that is where it originates. keeping track of psi point time limit could be a pain at higher levels.

15th level ability reads a little wonky and op, considering the essence of it is an Immortal mystic capstone. While the Immortal cap is pretty much a save or die, yours looks like pretty much die.

18th seems okay, but 1/long rest would be better, imho.

There are a few other ways you can make a psychic warrior and I'm not about to besmirch your efforts as it doesn't look bad at all. good gaming bud.
Thanks for the response.

@Why not just use existing Mystic archetypes: I mostly just created these because I had the ideas for the Multitasking and Unbreakable Concentration features.

@Further limitations: Sure, I could drop the extra discipline and restrict the available disciplines.

@7th: What would a good number of times/day be? I'm not sure if I really need to restrict it, to be honest- a Psychic Warrior has so few PP that he can't afford to spam this ability, as far as I can tell, and multiple attacks in one turn (which any not-effectively-dead-already encounter should be able to dish out) can still break his concentration.

@10th: I wanted to include some kind of method of PP recharge, and I don't want to enable "bag of rats" exploitation. Also, I was running out of ideas. If you can think up of a replacement ability, I could substitute it in.

@15: Keep in mind that you don't retain any non-mentioned class features, so you don't keep your psionics, extra attacks, etc. while you're a ghost. I didn't want to just turn you into a bog-standard ghost, as they're only CR 4 (although clever use of their abilities might bump up their effective worth much higher than that) and thus will get wrecked by any CR-appropriate challenges (I think). Also, you have to die to activate the ability, and you re-die after it ends (which gets expensive). I could drop the duration from 30 days down to around a minute or so, though.

@18: Hm... Would 1/short rest break anything? You ARE spending around 1/6 of your daily PP to do this.

ravencroft0
2017-04-02, 04:21 PM
7th level: Advantage on Constitution checks to maintain concentration? Proficiency in Constitution saving throws? Both?

10th level: Ever hear of Bishop?

15th and 18th: I only meant that since your 15th level ability is more or less a capstone for another class/subclass, you should treat it as being your capstone as well. Switch your 15th and 18th level features.

And there is this (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJBPvD32g).

Good gaming.