PDA

View Full Version : Skill checks as saving throws

Fixer
2007-07-27, 11:52 AM
Under Heal it allows you to use a heal check as a person's next saving throw versus a poison or disease.

What about allowing other skills to be used for other seconday saving throws?

Diplomacy or Perform (Oratory) to rally a charmed or dominated comrade when they get a second saving throw.

This is the one I was thinking of. Specifically I had in mind a bard using this against an enchanted friend who was getting a second saving throw.

blue_fenix
2007-07-27, 01:42 PM
I think there is a bardic music effect that allows your allies to take an extra saving throw against a mind-affecting thing, but that's not exactly the same, I guess. I suppose you could homebrew a rule or feat to allow it, but it seems to me that heal is the only skill where it really make sense. On the other hand, there are a few prestige classes that can use concentration in place of a save, kensai from complete warrior for example.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-27, 01:44 PM
And the tome of answers to everything has Moment Of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, and Mind Over Body, to replace saves with concentration.

curtmack
2007-07-27, 06:20 PM
Okay, random question: which book is Action Before Thought from? I've seen it a few places and never been able to find it.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-27, 06:22 PM
Tome of Battle, a 2nd level Diamond Mind manuver.

Edit: Ninja!

Fax Celestis
2007-07-27, 06:22 PM
Okay, random question: which book is Action Before Thought from? I've seen it a few places and never been able to find it.

All three that Arbitrarity listed are maneuvers from the Diamond Mind discipline, found in Tome of Battle.