PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Can you make a single ability score build?

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-03-28, 06:53 AM
Hello guys,

I saw some of you posting challenges and wanted to make one that I think will be fun :)

I wanted to know if you can make a character that need only one ability in order to function for each ability type (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis and Cha).

It need to be 3.5e.

Celestia
2017-03-28, 07:00 AM
Intelligence: Wizard 20
Wisdom: Druid 20
Charisma: Sorcerer 20

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-03-28, 07:12 AM
Wisdom: Druid 20
Charisma: Sorcerer 20

I forgot that casters need only one.

BTW, I think you missed to fun part, I made this challenge because I had fun making my mostly Dex PC.

Darrin
2017-03-28, 07:33 AM
Constitution: Dragonfire Adept 20, Dragonborn Mongrelfolk. Entangling Exhalation, Widen Exhalation, etc.

SangoProduction
2017-03-28, 07:53 AM
Strength: Frenzied Berserker, ubercharger. No other stat matters, not even Con, as soon as you are in a frenzy. Don't get me wrong, it's better to have Con, for increased duration, but you'll one-shot anyway.

....Of course, your friends also will not be able to heal you when you're at -5 billion hp, if you charge them when no other enemy remains, so...there's that feat from that "exalted" book.

Zanos
2017-03-28, 09:05 AM
You could also take:
Faerie Mysteries Initiate: Intelligence for Hitpoints
Kung Fu Genius+Monk's Belt: Intelligence for AC
Insightful Reflexes: Intelligence for Reflex Saves
Keen Intellect: Intelligence for Will Saves

This will leave Fortitude saves, but otherwise you're adding Intelligence to all of your defenses. Cast, say, thunderlance, and you can also use intelligence for attack and damage rolls.

GilesTheCleric
2017-03-28, 09:18 AM
You can build a Cleric, and probably any T1, to run off any of the six scores. Of course, some scores like dex or cha are going to eat up a lot of build resources, but it's possible.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-03-28, 11:49 AM
You could also take:

This will leave Fortitude saves, but otherwise you're adding Intelligence to all of your defenses. Cast, say, thunderlance, and you can also use intelligence for attack and damage rolls.

This is the kind of things I was looking for.

Venger
2017-03-28, 11:52 AM
You could also take:

or just roll necropolitan

FocusWolf413
2017-03-28, 12:10 PM
You can technically play a warlock with straight 3s. Very fun.

Venger
2017-03-28, 12:10 PM
You can technically play a warlock with straight 3s. Very fun.

the same is true for binder to an extent.

The_Iron_Lord
2017-03-28, 01:49 PM
I'm going to make a guess that you'll appreciate this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus) :smallcool:

daremetoidareyo
2017-03-28, 01:59 PM
Charisma + bluff and diplomacy. Cards over swords feat, wanderers diplomacy, undead empathy, seelie noble kelir.

Factotum x/cleric1/contemplative 1 with ooze, plant, and warforged domains. Start and end encounters with cards over swords. Turn enemies against each other with kelir. Command oozes constructs and plants with turning checks. Standard action diplomacy checks to end encounters...

eggynack
2017-03-28, 02:14 PM
the same is true for binder to an extent.
And druid. No spells, but the animal companion and wild shape are both largely stat independent in their functioning. The loss of constitution hurts, but that always hurts, and the fact that you replace it for non-HP purposes reduces that hit somewhat.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-03-28, 03:03 PM
Cha is usually a pretty easy one. How about... hmm. Killoren Ranger 2/Battle Dancer 1/Barbarian (Wolf Totem) 2/Paladin (Harmonious Knight) 5/Marshal 7. For feats grab Charming the Arrow, Divine Might, Travel Devotion, and some tripping stuff; for items, you'll want a Bow of Song and some Slippers of Battledancing.

You can do decently well in melee, thanks to Slippers of Battle Dancing + Travel Devotion. Run up to people, hit 'em and trip 'em using the boost from Marshal.
You're a passable switch-hitter archer, thanks to Charming the Arrow, your Bow of Song and Rapid Shot. You can even keep it out all the time and just use your Battle Dancer levels to kick people.
Both forms of attack can benefit from the Killoren's racial smite and Divine Might
You get Cha to saves, AC, and Str, Dex, Wis, and Int-based checks.

Not great, but you get the general idea.

EDIT: Int isn't bad either. Factotum 3/Swashbuckler 3/Monk 1 (Kung-Fu Genius) with Faerie Mysteries Initiate covers most cases in just 7 levels and feat.

Flickerdart
2017-03-28, 03:05 PM
A true single ability score build should get rid of all the other abilities! So make a WIS or CHA based caster and then become incorporeal, stationary, mindless, and undead, thereby keeping only WIS and CHA scores.

Gullintanni
2017-03-28, 03:15 PM
A true single ability score build should get rid of all the other abilities! So make a WIS or CHA based caster and then become incorporeal, stationary, mindless, and undead, thereby keeping only WIS and CHA scores.

You'd want a Psionic build, in all likelihood - you know, get rid of those verbal and somatic components. Maybe a level of Psionic Mindbender for telepathy.

Zancloufer
2017-03-28, 03:18 PM

Ghost Cleric that possessed an inanimate object? Maybe a jar full of Nightsticks? You have no Str/Con from ghost, inanimate object means no dex to speak of. Take Still/Silent spell so you don't have to move and DMM so they don't cost anymore than your Turn attempts. You do need an Int Score, though dumping 3 stats to - means you could afford 18 Wis + a positive modifier in both Int and Cha in even the most dire of point buys.

Now I am imagining a Commoner carrying around a Flowerpot full of fake flowers that somehow solves all of the problems without seemingly doing anything.

Venger
2017-03-28, 03:18 PM

1) pao a shrieker into something that will expire
2) psionic sandwich
3) acquire the ghost brute template while the clock's running out
4) it expires and you live on forever as a mindless ghost mushroom.

mabriss lethe
2017-03-28, 07:08 PM
Dread Necro runs nearly every single ability it gets through Cha.

emeraldstreak
2017-03-28, 07:40 PM
Not sure if you can make a true one-ability character - by raw Wis and Cha are needed to not be a vegetable.

ATHATH
2017-03-28, 08:26 PM
Isn't there a build out there that used templates to get a 1 in CHA (IIRC) and --s in all other stats? I think it got around the "you can't have a -- for WIS" thing with a certain template that explicitly overrode it (I think it was called "Dream Element" or something like that).

If you try to max out CHA instead of dump it, that might be interesting. Dunno if it was actually playable, though.

Venger
2017-03-28, 09:01 PM
Isn't there a build out there that used templates to get a 1 in CHA (IIRC) and --s in all other stats? I think it got around the "you can't have a -- for WIS" thing with a certain template that explicitly overrode it (I think it was called "Dream Element" or something like that).

If you try to max out CHA instead of dump it, that might be interesting. Dunno if it was actually playable, though.

All creatures must have a cha and wis of at least 1. This is what makes them creatures.

The template is indeed "dream element." from dragon #287, bottom of page 34.

it does simply state "lacks a wisdom score," but in keeping with poorly-edited dragon magazine content, this is blatantly illegal.