PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best lvl 1-2 build

EDL
2017-03-28, 07:44 AM
Hey, guys.
Need your help for deciding the best build for 1-2 levels adventure (about 8 hours total, mostly battles).

I was thinking about:
1. VHuman Fighter, Longbow + Sharpshooter feat
2. VHuman Fighter, PAM
3. VHuman Fighter (or War Cleric), GWM

What's your opinion? I'm sure i'm missing something)

Hudsonian
2017-03-28, 08:24 AM
For just 8hrs of play?

wizard with 20 intelligence and 4/6 constitution. Classic early versions wizard.

birdman cleric of mother earth (nature domain). He's a little crazy, he is afraid to fly because the dirt beneath his feet is his god... or so he thinks. When he is alone, he can almost hear voices in the breezes calling his name, but he will stand firm. He will not leave his true devotion. (I would think that at level 2 he would have a character moment where he learns that mother earth will take him back if he leaves for but a moment, lvl 3 he would learn that he isn't even from earth and feels lied to.)

Druid that is afraid of spiders

Hill Dwarf Fighter focusing on throwing hammers or wrenches (if you can doge a wrench).

Fighter with 18 STR and 18 CON and 6 DEX

These are all characters that might would be unfeasible in the long run but is a ton of fun for a short campaign. (either to OP, or just rediculous)

Specter
2017-03-28, 09:00 AM
At level 1, it's better to go Dual Wielder than PAM. But anyway, anything works really. If I were to add any suggestions to that list it would be wizard (because they can ritual cast).

Crusher
2017-03-28, 09:37 AM
Nah, you can do better.

High elf rogue 16 Dex, take booming blade or green-flame blade as cantrip (take 16 Int or Chr if you go Greenflame).

VHuman sword and board fighter, 16 Str/13 Dex, take shield mastery. At level 2 take a level in Rogue and take expertise in Athletics. Talk DM into letting you bash before you attack, with a +7 on bash roll. Gives you advantage and sneak attack damage on most attacks.

vHuman war cleric archer with 16 Dex and Wis, take sharpshooter feat. Open every fight by casting bless, then fill oppoents with nasty arrows. Don't forget your bonus action shots from war cleric.

And, of course, the mother of all OP level 2 characters, the Moon druid in Dire wolf form.

rhouck
2017-03-28, 07:38 PM
Moon Druid at level 2.

But at level 1, Variant Human with Heavy Armor Feat. The -3 to damage is insane at low levels. Kobold average damage goes from 4 to 1, Goblin 5 to 2, etc. And remember: there is NO MINIMUM DAMAGE in 5e (i.e. Attacks can hit and still do 0 damage). I would suggest Life Cleric, but you have options.

LudicSavant
2017-03-28, 07:49 PM
Something I don't see mentioned all that much: Familiars can get pretty scary at low levels (and stay good at higher ones, too).

Level 1 Wizard, or anyone with magic initiate. Get a familiar (the MM variant ones are incredibly strong at low levels, but something like say a Poisonous Snake works too). Milk it for free poisons using the DMG rules (Wizards are naturally good at these checks, because of their high Intelligence). Apply that to everyone's weapons and you're contributing significant damage to the party. On top of that, familiars can use the Help action to grant Advantage whenever. And they're great for scouting, or (if they have blindsight) synergizing with Fog Clouds and the like. If they die, it's no big deal; you can just summon a new one for 10gp.

If you've got one of the variant familiars from the monster manual (see the rule on p347), it gets a little crazy. They have lots of special abilities, grant you magic resistance, and can be milked for poisons which not only add damage but the Poisoned condition.

You can then grab a feat like, say, Alert, because going first and never being surprised is a good thing... especially when you have things like Sleep or being able to apply the Poisoned condition (plus high damage) to shut low level combats down right out of the starting gate.

At level 2 you can get Portent for resolving situations without rolling, or Minor Conjuration for making it even easier to produce poisons, or Arcane Ward for tanking things with a shield that can be recharged with Rituals.