PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Immortality, Fertility, and Effects of Aging

SirNibbles
2017-03-28, 07:49 AM
What happens to a body as it ages?

The Player's Handbook discusses numeric effects of age on page 109:

"With age, a character’s physical ability scores decrease and his or her mental ability scores increase (see Table 6–5: Aging Effects). The effects of each aging step are cumulative. However, none of a character’s ability scores can be reduced below 1 in this way."

At Middle Age, a character gains +1 to all mental ability scores and -1 to all physical ability scores.
At Old Age, a character gains +1 to all mental ability scores and -2 to all physical ability scores.
At Venerable Age, a character gains +1 to all mental ability scores and -3 to all physical ability scores.

This is fairly straightforward. An older character will have lower Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution, thus having: less physical power; worse coordination and reflexes; and decreased health and stamina.

These physical changes would be visible as well: wrinkled skin; diminished muscle tone; grey and thinning hair; etc. It's noteworthy that, in D&D, due to hearing and eyesight being keyed to Wisdom rather than any physical attribute, these senses would be increased, rather than decreased, by age.

___

Let's examine the effect of immortality and aging immunity (such as that granted by Timeless Body), starting with the latter.

"Timeless Body (Ex): After attaining 15th level, a druid no longer takes ability score penalties for aging (see Table 6–5: Aging Effects, page 109) and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the druid still dies of old age when her time is up." - Player's Handbook, page 37

If we operate under the assumption that the physical manifestations of aging are a direct result of the ability score penalties, or perhaps that they are caused by the same internal factors, we can also assume that these manifestations would be absent in a character which does not suffer aging penalties. That is, a Druid (or Monk or other character with Timeless Body or a similar ability) would appear at the peak of their youth regardless of their age: their skin would be firm and smooth; their muscles strong; their hair thick and colourful. Accumulated scars and other indications of injury may betray their true age, but they otherwise look the same as they did when they were in the Adult age category, even at Middle Age, Old Age, and Venerable.

We'll assume the following two things contribute to aging and dying of old age:
1. Genetic Maximum Age- from birth, your body is coded to last until a certain date (represented by the die roll made by the GM when a player becomes Venerable)
2. Cell Division Limit- your cells can only divide a certain number of times due to DNA loss. Your cells gradually become 'weaker' (for lack of a better word), leading to physical deterioration.

Timeless Body removes the latter restriction on your body, allowing your cells to divide without DNA loss, and thus divide until you die.

True immortality, such as that granted by the Cloud Anchorite's (Frostburn, page 52) Immortality of the Mountain removes the first restriction. However, it does not remove the second restriction and you continue to accrue penalties for aging (and your body shows signs of aging as normal). However, if this is how it worked, your cells would still eventually become useless and you would die of multiple organ failure caused by old age without technically dying of old age. In order for immortality to actually function, we must assume that its effect also changes the cell division limit in some manner. At some point after reaching venerable age, the cells change the manner in which they divide in order to prevent their death. This allows the Immortal to live forever, albeit in an elderly state.

___

What happens in regards to fertility and virility as characters age? It's common knowledge that a woman's fertility declines significantly after her 20s and continues to decline in various ways until menopause.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Age_and_female_fertility.png/400px-Age_and_female_fertility.png

Additionally, the risk of birth defects, miscarriages, and the death of the mother increase with age.

Virility has similar issues to fertility. Males are able to produce offspring pretty much until they die but the quality and volume of sperm decreases. This, as it does for older women, leads to an increased chance of birth defects and greater difficulty in conceiving a child. The oldest known human to father a child is 96 years old.

_

There is certainly no rule in any first party material regarding this issue that I've been able to locate. Even going to third-party material such as the Book of Erotic Fantasy doesn't help much. It mentions that (most) races become fertile upon reaching adulthood and simply mentions that age is among the factors that affect conception but does not go into detail about any of those factors (Book of Erotic Fantasy, page 49).

Assuming you were in a campaign where this would come up, how would conception be impaired and how could this be overcome? Are there ways to reduce the effects of aging?

For an example of when this might be relevant to a campaign, let's say that the 35 year old queen is having trouble producing an heir- something which could lead to other major political forces in the setting trying to take the throne for themselves.

Would it be necessary at all to have a system for this or could you just whip it out when you want to use it as a plot point for an NPC? (I must add, using this as a plot point would be rare- I'm not saying everyone should base campaigns on decreased female fertility as a result of aging). Giving a PC trouble conceiving a child just seems unnecessarily mean.
_

I would posit that an immortal 3000 year old human male could possibly conceive a child if he were to mate with a young woman. The child would have an increased risk of birth defects and conception would be more difficult. The reverse situation would not be possible due to the woman becoming infertile even though she is immortal. A Timeless Body (or equivalent) effect would allow both to easily conceive healthy offspring regardless of their age, assuming the effect was acquired before aging took place.

___

Why is this important?
It's not, really. I forgot my reason for writing this halfway through. Something about liches.

___

If I made any typos, let me know. It's 6 AM so it's likely I messed up somewhere.

Gildedragon
2017-03-28, 02:54 PM
So overall interesting thoughts
Though biology in DnD is... weird, yeah let's go with weird.
There's a simple if unpalatable edge case that makes discussions of fertility and age and death odd: the half-undead templates
Overall I reckon that maximum age is more of a... magical thing: after all it is instantly set when one's body has spent certain number of years as an adult, it is a mystically divinable expiration date on the body-compatibility of the soul
And there is physical aging: the effects of years upon the body.
Races that suffer no penalties from aging ought not be changing in their fertility and whatnot, though they may develop other interests beyond reproduction

Duke of Urrel
2017-03-28, 02:56 PM
Pardon me. I just felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of cat-girls suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced...

POSTSCRIPT: Sorry, that wasn't very nice.

Actually, your hearing and vision become more acute as you age in D&D, because your Wisdom increases.

Zancloufer
2017-03-28, 03:08 PM
Mass murder of bipedal felines aside.

Other than sense getting better as you age you can also deduce that things like Alzheimers and Dementia don't happen in D&D as all mental stats increase a not significant amount from age.

Cell Division limit is a Telomere thing so I would guess anything that gives true immortality (no aging and no max age) gives you some way to regenerate those. Actually super regeneration (though too slow to apply in combat) can pretty much explain away most issues with all types of immortality. For things like Timeless body it just stops working after some arbitrary point, which can make sense from a fluff perspective as the Druid is very in tune with nature and Monks come off as kind of spiritual.

MintyThe1st
2017-03-28, 03:23 PM
there was a whole 3rd party book written on the various races and reproduction.

The Book of Erotic Fantasy.
I kid ye not.

i recommend looking through it if you want to know the nuance of how reproduction works in D&D

Venger
2017-03-28, 03:57 PM
your initial post is interesting, but I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish.

from the sound of things, you want an exhaustive chart of birth defects to inflict your PCs' children with and a d% of how likely it is they'll get down syndrome or something. this doesn't seem conducive to enjoyable gameplay.

as has already been said, D&D humans are just not by any metric the same as earth humans, so there's little reason to assume they'd work the same way. in an hp-based system, people are really just water balloons full of blood with everything else left to abstraction.

one way this kind of thing is dealt with in the sf/f sphere is in jim butcher's "dresden files" series, which is popular in our spheres. a proposed reason why wizards can live longer than humans is that their cells produce "perfect copies" instead of degrading with each generation (abject nonsense for a lot of reasons, but fine) so if you needed to resolve a perceived disconnect between game rules and your own out of character grasp of biology, that's one way to square it away.

if you want to play a campaign where your PCs are trying to have babies to game inheritance laws or whatever, I advise not boxing out women. out-of-character concerns for treating players differently based on their choice of character sex (which blesedly has little impact in 3.5) it doesn't really make sense from an in-character perspective either.

if you're ruling you no longer age physically and are arrested at your physical peak through magic immortality, then there's really nothing disruptive about women manufacturing more eggs. D&D humans can already sleep off literally any wound with no medical treatment. I think manufacturing some more eggs is within their capability.

EDIT:

Even going to third-party material such as the Book of Erotic Fantasy doesn't help much.

I kid ye not.

i recommend looking through it if you want to know the nuance of how reproduction works in D&D

Sounds like he's already been there and (pardon the pun) done that.

Dracul3S
2017-03-29, 10:25 AM
You're thinking too much about it. The two base assumptions are problematic as well. Genetic aging and cell division are not actually divisible from each other. And that's just one major flaw with these assumptions. There is no biological/ medical reasoning for these effects and how they work behind the scenes. You can totally add some, but don't expext the class abilities to actually make more sense. In fact you will probably end with a nonsensical explanation. Trying to use real science (or a dm's or player's understanding of it) to get to terms with fantasy game mechanics gets always very poor results. It's a game, that's why it works.

martixy
2017-03-29, 10:56 AM
Except you forgot a very important point.

https://i.imgflip.com/1mbb2k.jpg

For lack of a better source BoEF has a spell that will all but make you pregnant outright, regardless of circumstances(except for... you guessed it - magic).

Did you notice that tidbit in Timeless body's description - "[...] cannot be magically aged"?
In 3.5, there is maybe one effect that can make that happen(Bestow curse, I think), barring obscure Dragon mag stuff.

Wonder why it's still there? Well, in earlier editions messing with time took away years of your life. For example using haste.

As Venger mentioned, D&D biology, and by extension D&D humans are simply not the same kind of humans as IRL.
Heck, by one definition of species, elves, orcs and everything half-something in D&D is human, considering their ability to mate between each other. :)

Venger
2017-03-29, 11:34 AM
Did you notice that tidbit in Timeless body's description - "[...] cannot be magically aged"?
In 3.5, there is maybe one effect that can make that happen(Bestow curse, I think), barring obscure Dragon mag stuff.

Wonder why it's still there? Well, in earlier editions messing with time took away years of your life. For example using haste.

As Venger mentioned, D&D biology, and by extension D&D humans are simply not the same kind of humans as IRL.
Heck, by one definition of species, elves, orcs and everything half-something in D&D is human, considering their ability to mate between each other. :)

Bestow curse is the only RAW way to advance age in 3.5. You used to age a year every time you did haste in 2e, and I think dimensional fold aged you sometimes.

Not to mention all the inherited templates, such as half-dragon. Really, almost everything living is the same species in deeandee

NOhara24
2017-03-29, 12:08 PM

I kid ye not.

I'm going to second this post - but it's important to note that the BoEF is a third-party production. That being said, I end up consulting it in every game because of two reasons:

1) People become extremely interested in casual sex in D&D
2) The book itself is not only highly useful, but is written in a way that is focused on conveying information and mechanics in a mature way.

I don't know if I'll get censored for this...but here's an example worth noting:

"What happens if a large sized humanoid and a small sized humanoid decide to get to business...isn't there some...technical difficulties there?" *Player asking blushes and giggles.*

Me, reading out of the book: "Yes, there is a cumulative penalty to both participant's enjoyment for every size category they're separated by."

"Oh...that's actually very simple, thank you." (No giggles, no shyness for the rest of the session...etc.)

I totally endorse the BoEF for multiple reasons, but mostly because it's good at what it sets out to do and allows me to keep my sessions from devolving into a 3-hour **** joke.

Berenger
2017-03-29, 06:05 PM
It's noteworthy that, in D&D, due to hearing and eyesight being keyed to Wisdom rather than any physical attribute, these senses would be increased, rather than decreased, by age.

My personal take on this subject: Hearing and eyesight as measured in modern audiometry or eyesight tests would, in fact, be keyed to Constitution and decrease over time. It's just that persons with a high Wisdom score or ranks in Listen and Spot are more adept at interpreting the things that they hear and see. They have an easier time putting subconscious clues together to gain an useful insight. That's supported by the fact that both Listen and Spot are trainable skills and can rise with experience.