PDA

View Full Version : Characters you like the most

LM TR
2007-07-27, 12:04 PM
who would have expected this thread :-)

Belkar, for he is cool, has had some of the best moments in the whole comic (the two devils (why isnīt he jolly? - my fav moment!), the kiss), and likes to stab people (OK Iīm not good in making up reasons but Belkar just rules!)

whole Team evil, I think there wasnīt even one strip involving them I disliked

Elan before he took that stupid prestige class

V is kinda cool

Nale and Sabine, I hope this relationship doesnīt end the cliché way

Spiryt
2007-07-27, 12:49 PM
Yeah, Belkar is cool.

His " Super killa moments" - were kinda over the top sometimes, but still he had stolen so many strips with his comments.

12 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html)

Or that one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html)

And this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html)

Rajhiim
2007-07-27, 12:54 PM
Xykon and Belkar.

the mysterian
2007-07-27, 01:16 PM
belkar and elan"roy has boobies"

paulg
2007-07-27, 01:19 PM
Belkar by far if for no other reason than he's a Sexy Shoeless God of War.

Yeril
2007-07-27, 01:27 PM
Miko :smallsmile:

:miko: "A paladin never compromises."
"Does a paladin ever remove the stick from their ass? ":roy:
:miko: "No, its a class feature"

Dr. Bath
2007-07-27, 01:44 PM
Odin, Cheif (R.I.P), Thor, Shojo and the Oracle.
They all beat your puny 'main' characters.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-07-27, 01:46 PM
Miko :smallsmile:

:miko: "A paladin never compromises."
"Does a paladin ever remove the stick from their ass? ":roy:
:miko: "No, its a class feature"

Ok, I find two things very interesting:

1. That people have totally opposite opinions of the very same characters.
2. That the two most popular characters are also the two most controversial, Belkar and Miko.

Anyway, right now my favorite character is Elan. I love his antics and he is just so sweet and caring to people.

Ralfarius
2007-07-27, 02:06 PM
I think I may like Durkon best. If characters were rooms, he would be elegantly understated. He's not trying to be overly bold, or melodramatic, or eclectic, or anything. He is who he is, a stoic and wise dwarf who is looking out for his people's best interests.

I particularly enjoyed when he put Roy's sister, Julia, in her place with a few words (right after wrecking marauding treants and right before wrecking their druid master). I was also touched by his reaction to the oracle's prophecy for his return home. A truer dwarf is hard to come by.

Part of my favour with him may be the fact that, over the years, I've grown tired of he 'snowflake' syndrome many people have (anyone who's played on a role-playing server in World of Warcraft may be familiar). Everyone has to distinguish themselves by being as far from the norm as possible, to the point where a character fitting into the general traits of their race is actually the exception.

Now, I'm not saying that any member of the Order of the Stick suffer from said syndrome (Belkar comes close), but the fact that Durkon manages to be an important member of the party without hogging a ton of screen time really appeals to me.

Troll Mage
2007-07-27, 02:23 PM
I like:
1) Belkar cause I almost never play any other kind of character (chaotic evil I mean)
2) Thog because....c'mon he's thog. his jail scene where he tells the guard the whole story and it actually makes sense but only if you read it, and puppies...oh ya and he always up-stages Nale. Always. :smallcool:

Rajhiim
2007-07-27, 02:36 PM
Leprechaun Thog is awesome.

Shalmstaff
2007-07-27, 02:37 PM
1) Belkar - Because he is the Shoeless God of War/Cooking!

2) Thog - Because he and I are so much alike

3) The thing under the Hello Cougar! Umbrella- The suspense! What art thou?

TroyXavier
2007-07-27, 06:10 PM
Elan. His naive optimism is handled quite well without making me want to wretch.

yoshi927
2007-07-27, 06:27 PM
:miko: and :belkar:

Tho' I guess it's a contradiction, because they hate eachothers' guts. :smallbiggrin:

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-27, 06:41 PM
I'm an :elan: fan, all the way! Funny, optimistic, hopeful, and gets the happy ending!

Plus! He didn't get a "Prince Albert" from Haley, and even when he finds out that Haley pierced Roy, Elan won't get jealous!

maitreyi
I love Vaarsuvius the most :vaarsuvius: , and the interaction V has with Belkar.

Drider
Rajhiim - Leprechaun Thog is awesome.
yoshi927 - :belkar: and :miko:

Tho' I guess it's a contradiction, because they hate eachothers' guts.

i agree with these 2 people, except i like belkar and miko together, cause i love the conflicts :smallbiggrin:

Faramir
2007-07-27, 06:50 PM
If by like you mean I could see being friends with them and enjoy spending time with them then Roy and Hinjo. If you mean derive the most pleasure from their in-strip activities then I'd have to say Thog.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-27, 08:04 PM
Here's my order of the Order:

1. Elan - he's a hilarious character, his antics and spontaneity combined with his purely good and well-meaning heart, and his charisma, and his stupidity, and his dashing-ness, and everything combines together to make him very awesome and loveable.

2. Belkar - he DOES get the best lines, his character lends itself to hundreds of jokes and it doesn't seem like our insane halfling is running dry any time soon. I would absolutely despise him in real life but I love him as a character.

3. Haley - she isn't the funniest character, and she had dropped to the bottom of my list during most of the aphasia arc, but she consistently contributes a lot of great drama to the strip. I like Haley.

4. Roy - Roy's keen-edged acerbic wit and character flaws have done well to accent Roy as a great comedic and dramatic character. By flaws, I mean his impatience and intolerance for those less intelligent or wise than he is, his sometimes bull-headed nature, and others, that make him all the more funny to watch and relatable. Roy is a great straight man.

5. V - V is a great character but is getting old for me. The ambiguous gender, okay, haha, I laughed, but it's a joke told once too many. The long-windedness, okay, sometimes it's funny, but now it's just more dialogue to read. The magic jokes that stem from him/her (strip 126, 135, 305, 424, etc) are gold, but nothing that couldn't come from any wizard.

6. Durkon - Durkon usually bores me. He hardly gets any screen time compared to most of the others, and he's just so introverted. There have been some good Durkon moments (Hilgya arc, W.W.T.D, dendrophobia (fear of trees) bandit camp, Leeky...) but overall I just feel less attached to him and V than the rest of the OotS. I mean, I care about what happens to the two spellcasters, but I care a whole heck of a lot more about the other 4.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-27, 08:36 PM
If I had to rate the OotS in order:

:vaarsuvius: - Just plain made of win.
:belkar: - Sexy shoeless god of war. Ethnocentric bitches oppress his culture.
:durkon: - Great lines, great party member, great all-around.
:roy: - It was a close contest with Elan, but his straight man attitude wins me over the random lulz.
:elan: - Random lulz.
:haley: - My least favourite. Just not too fond of her, though she has her moments like everyone else.

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-27, 09:12 PM
It's a tie between both of the magic-users, namely V and Xykon.

tommygunn
2007-07-27, 09:16 PM
my favorites would have to be :belkar: and :mitd:

Harry Joy
2007-07-27, 09:52 PM
Haley and Belkar. I seem to get the most laughs from the two of them.

hendrake
2007-07-27, 10:18 PM
Pfft! Easy - MitD, of course.

Krellen
2007-07-27, 11:07 PM
My favourite is Roy.

I guess I'm not in it for the jokes. I just empathise with him more, probably because I'm surrounded by idiots in real life all the time. :smallwink:

Spiky
2007-07-27, 11:15 PM
All of them.

Top three are Roy, Miko, Xykon.

sum1won
2007-07-28, 12:26 AM
Redcloak!

and roy.

Oberon
2007-07-28, 01:46 AM
Redcloak!

and roy.

What he said. Plus V. And Xykon. And Belkar.

Aw hell, I like'em all.

tannish2
2007-07-28, 02:16 AM
Ok, I find two things very interesting:

1. That people have totally opposite opinions of the very same characters.
2. That the two most popular characters are also the two most controversial, Belkar and Miko.

Anyway, right now my favorite character is Elan. I love his antics and he is just so sweet and caring to people.
ok how can they be controversial? THEIR CHARACTERS IN A WEBCOMIC FOR FREDS(fred is the god of tuesdays between 5-7 [both AM and PM] and other things that arent relevant to this comment) SAKE! its not like they go around doing unspeakable things to kittens, then eating them

i like elan, nale, and the lich whos name i can remember the sound of, and odin, but if you dont like them all your a terrible person who should be beaten by a kitten with a bag of pandas... or was it a panda with a bag of kittens... either way

Costantinov
2007-07-28, 02:30 AM
Thog :thog: and Xykon:xykon: (oh, and also :mitd: )

Oberon
2007-07-28, 02:34 AM
ok how can they be controversial? THEIR CHARACTERS IN A WEBCOMIC FOR FREDS(fred is the god of tuesdays between 5-7 [both AM and PM] and other things that arent relevant to this comment) SAKE! its not like they go around doing unspeakable things to kittens, then eating them

i like elan, nale, and the lich whos name i can remember the sound of, and odin, but if you dont like them all your a terrible person who should be beaten by a kitten with a bag of pandas... or was it a panda with a bag of kittens... either way

I think he meant contreversial in the sense that they are the most discussed, and the characters that most people are opposed to (although I wouldn't put it past Belkar to do some pretty unspeakable things to a kitten).

The lich's name is Xykon. You can learn the names of you favorite characters and produce a convenient image of their head simply by clicking the Smilies drop-down box located at the top of of your reply box, and dragging it down to the face of the desired character like so :xykon: :roy:

Odin, however, barely qualifies as a character at all seeing as he only has one line. I can see enjoying a specific line, but not the speaker of that line as he only appeared once (aside from the crayon comics) that does not give much insight into his character, now does it?

Also, lay off the kitten abuse pal. You can dislike a character but enjoy their role in the story both by the other characters' reactions to them and by developing plot points (ie I probably wouldn't like Miko if I met her in real life, but as a character she leads to humorous and important story development.)

No one deserves to be beaten for their opinions of a webcomic.

Purple_cloack
2007-07-28, 02:35 AM
:belkar: is kinda of cool, and :vaarsuvius: too.
And Hinjo is funny and :elan: !!

team evil?
:redcloak: is super and :thog: is funny!

Peanut Gallery
2007-07-28, 03:45 AM
Used to be Elan. Lately I've been feeling the Redcloak love.

Dr. Bath
2007-07-28, 03:59 AM
Odin, however, barely qualifies as a character at all seeing as he only has one line. I can see enjoying a specific line, but not the speaker of that line as he only appeared once (aside from the crayon comics) that does not give much insight into his character, now does it?

Odin has had two lines, outside of the crayon comics. Thank you very much.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-28, 05:44 AM
:thog: and :xykon: ftw!
Theyre awesomeness, just sheer awesomeness!

Daimbert
2007-07-28, 06:49 AM
I kind of have levels:

1) MitD, V, Miko
2) Roy, Haley, Durkon, Xykon, Redcloak.

Anything below this I either don't really care about one way or the other or dislike strongly.

If I had to pick one ... MitD, probably.

Ariko
2007-07-28, 08:20 AM
:belkar: :sabine: :redcloak: and :roy:. In no particular order

EntilZha
2007-07-28, 08:28 AM
The OOTS itself...

No fair! It's like asking a parent to pick his/her favorite child! :smallamused:

Other characters...

Hinjo - He treated Roy and company like people. He's also really stepped up to the plate and made some difficult decisions in the wake of his uncle's murder. If I were a citizen of Azure City, I'd want him to remain the Lord of the city.

Xykon - Who says a lich can't have a sense of humor? :smallbiggrin: Just look at all the great lines he has.

Tsukiko - Hot magic-using chick. 'Nuff said. I'd love to see her rendered in "real world" (for lack of a better term) art, like Rob and Jamie did with Wanda Firebaugh a while back.

Castaras
2007-07-28, 08:29 AM
I used to really like Thog...

But Belkar has topped him. Stabbing the shoeless way! :belkar:

RAGE KING!
2007-07-28, 09:51 AM
:xykon::belkar::thog:

in that order.

DreadSpoon
2007-07-28, 10:55 AM
My favourite is Roy.

I guess I'm not in it for the jokes. I just empathise with him more, probably because I'm surrounded by idiots in real life all the time.

QFT

Also, Xykon. His bad-ass-ness (esp. after reading Start of Darkness) makes me hard.

sun_tzu
2007-07-28, 11:03 AM
Roy. Definitely Roy.

PaladinFreak
2007-07-28, 11:08 AM
Roy and Hinjo are my two favorite characters. Roy, simply because he is such a great straight man, and Hinjo because he is my ideal of what a Paladin should be.

RRosset
2007-07-28, 11:28 AM
:thog: Thog Thog Thog!!!

Thog is... THOG! hehehe.

Later

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-28, 01:05 PM
If I had to put an order to the evil guys, I'd say:

:redcloak: - Awesome cleric, awesome character.
:xykon: - Follow the ball, children. :smallbiggrin:
:thog: - THOG SMASH!
:mitd: - The mystery allures me.
:roach: - They're alright, I s'pose.
:nale: - His wacky schemes and stereotypes are pretty neat, but I don't enjoy him that much.
:sabine: - Never really made me laugh, not real enough to be hawt.

Aristeidis
2007-07-28, 08:00 PM
From team "incompetent" V is the ultimate master
from team evil I worship Xykon and I hate that shadowy thingy (MITD?? (What?!))
because I never understand what it says (not a native english speaker)

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-28, 08:19 PM
If I had to put an order to the evil guys, I'd say:

:redcloak: - Awesome cleric, awesome character.
:xykon: - Follow the ball, children. :smallbiggrin:
:thog: - THOG SMASH!
:mitd: - The mystery allures me.
:roach: - They're alright, I s'pose.
:nale: - His wacky schemes and stereotypes are pretty neat, but I don't enjoy him that much.
:sabine: - Never really made me laugh, not real enough to be hawt.

I agree, except that I have the roaches ahead of Mitd (I think that they're one heck of a lot funnier.)

Kioran
2007-07-29, 03:06 AM
:miko: , hands down, because Miko is one of the truly competent, no-nonsense characters. Sheīs smart, determined, not duplicitous (like half of the OoTS) and her unwillingness to compromise would, if she didnīt have such poor judgement, be a major asset, since before her fall, she usually made the right calls. Not easily being swayed from a valid course is no weakness - unfortunately, she didnīt even let herself be swayed from the wrong course, but....
I think Miko is quite a bit nerdy - in that socially awkward, slightly confusing, but within a narrow Focus highly competent way. I like those. And call me insane, but I think if she had had a true leader to follow, she would have been a kickass force for good. Shojo didnīt cut it, because, while being a competent strategist, heīs no leader of men. Hinjo, though charismatic, hasnīt yet shown any sign of Intelligence or tactical skill. The only real leaders of men in OoTS were Soon(whoīs not even alive anymore) and Roy (and we knew how that went).
Itīs a shame, really. Itīs understandable that one wouldnīt want a Miko-Char at a table, but Iīve played with worse, and within a story, this character is interesting.

:roy: comes in second - I like him. Heīs got good lines (even laying the smack down on Miko was nicely written) and is smart, has some caustic humor, and still manages it without being too condescending (which is hard around Elan or Haley, who is by the way, a piss-poor second in command). All of the OoTS have their merit, but apart from Durkon, they would annoy the hell out of me after a while.....

:durkon: is cool as well. I donīt quite get why many dislike him, but whatever......

I donīt know....but somehow I lean towards lawful

BelkarPwnsAll!
2007-07-29, 09:15 AM
Like my name, I say Belkar because when he ran into that lawyer at the stables at that hotel thingy. =D
ROCK ON BELKAR!!!!

Iranon
2007-07-29, 01:38 PM
In order, although very close together:

:redcloak: Someone who can hold that type of religious office and remain determined, thoughtful, and reasonably modest at the same time deserves a cookie.
He's the one I admire most.

:vaarsuvius: Intelligent, educated and refreshingly open. Current comic aside, he makes little effort to gloss over her darker sides. Comfortable to contemplate the worst, but willing to put in a lot of effort for others if they're worth the time.
S/h/it is the one I identify with most.

:miko: Honourable, determined, competent... and her major - fatal - flaw was that she tried too hard. If she hadn't pushed herself so far that she hardly seemed human at times, she could have been a much more effective force of righteousness... and led a moderately happy life at that.
She's the one I sympathise with most.

ChopSticks28
2007-07-29, 06:10 PM
Redcloak! His sarcasm is awsome.

And Miko. I really want her to come back.