PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Tangible Illusion (Mythic)

Barstro
2017-03-28, 09:40 AM
I'm trying to map out my Mythic character. Tangible Illusion seems so powerful, but I still have trouble figuring out when/how I would actually use it.

Tangible Illusion
You can temporarily transform an illusory object into a real one. As a full-round action, you can expend one use of mythic power to temporarily transform a single object created by an illusion spell that you cast into a physical, non-magical version of that object. The object lasts for 10 minutes per tier, after which it reverts to being an illusion (or vanishes, if the duration of the original illusion has expired). During that time, the illusion gains all the physical properties of the depicted illusory object. You must touch the illusion to use this ability, and the object can be no larger than 5 cubic feet per tier. For example, if you create an illusory stone door, you transform it into an actual non-magical stone door.

On its face, it seems really powerful. RAW, it could be used to create gems, rare metals, spell components,etc. I'd never use it for that, since I think that's a bunch of BS, but I'm pretty sure it works by RAW.

As far as "real" uses, I'm having trouble coming up with anything. "5 cubic feet per tier" is not a whole lot. That would be a Mythic Point to create a mundane door. Unless the party is in an anti-magic field, the character would find some better way to use a Mythic Point. Making a bridge would require more than five cubic feet. Making a weapon would work, but why would a mythic party need a mundane non-MW weapon?

Anyone have good ideas for Tangible Illusion, or is it just a trap?

EDIT: For those of you not versed in Mythic;
For the same cost of 1MP, this character can cast ANY Wizard spell that exists that is of a level he can cast. By the time I can fit Tangible Illusion in the build, it's either Four EDIT: twenty Cubic Feet of material for 40 minutes, or cast any level-5 spell (and choose a different Ability for that slot).

Florian
2017-03-28, 09:57 AM
What class?

Besides the usual Hallucinatory Terrain to create cover, concealment, stairs, bridges, there´re some bardic masterpieces that create whole illusionary castles or other buildings.

Barstro
2017-03-28, 10:22 AM
What class?

Besides the usual Hallucinatory Terrain to create cover, concealment, stairs, bridges, there´re some bardic masterpieces that create whole illusionary castles or other buildings.

Class is Sorcerer.

I fail to see how Hallucinatory Terrain can work with the 5 cu.ft. per level (I also would hope that my DM would have strict enough reading to say that "terrain" is a mass of objects and not "an object"). Stairs, Bridges, Castles and other buildings are right out. I agree that cover is possible, but there are better spell options that do not require 1) cast spell in round 1, 2) Burn MP and spell full round in round 2.

lagninja
2017-03-28, 10:30 AM
The idea that you need to use an entire 5ft cu. to build a 5 ft length of bridge or a door seems silly to me. Why make a mundane door when you can make a 5x5x5 cube of Adamantine? A one inch thick steel cable grounded in the stone would be able to go 60 feet per tier.

Barstro
2017-03-28, 10:51 AM
The idea that you need to use an entire 5ft cu. to build a 5 ft length of bridge or a door seems silly to me. Why make a mundane door when you can make a 5x5x5 cube of Adamantine? A one inch thick steel cable grounded in the stone would be able to go 60 feet per tier.

Your math is a bit off;
5 cubic feet per tier (20 at Tier 4), not 5 feet cubed per tier (500).
Cable would be 720 feet per Tier, I think (12*12*5);

It's also not just about being useful. Tangible Illusion is very useful. BUT, it has the opportunity cost of "PC could just cast ANY spell (not just spell known, any spell on the Wizard list)" and that's without eating up a valuable Mythic Path Ability.

Florian
2017-03-28, 11:04 AM
The 5ft. cube seems to be an odd crutch to prevent some shenanigans. I dunno, never tried to measure how many 5ft. cubes the peach tree in my garden would take up.

icefractal
2017-03-28, 12:01 PM
While it sounds cool, I'm not seeing many places where it's better than using the MP to cast Major Creation. Except for the use you didn't want - making expensive spell components for free. That size limit (5 cubic feet is small - a single 10x10x1' wall is 100 cubic feet) gets in the way of many things it could do.

Now if it was a standard action (or better yet, immediate) then you could do some cool things with turning an illusory wall solid while someone was walking through it. But as a FRA, there's going to be very few cases where that's possible.

CockroachTeaParty
2017-03-28, 07:56 PM
First, minor creation / major creation create 1 cubic ft. / caster level. So at CL 20, you've got 20 cubic ft. to work with. Tangible Illusion is 5 cubic ft. per tier, so you match a CL 20 creation spell at Tier 4, and it only goes up from there.

Second, the creation spells take 1 min. / 10 mins. to cast, while Tangible Illusion only takes a full-round action. You can't Wild Arcana the creation spells, since they take longer than a round to cast, so you'd have to have them prepared / known in the first place, while Tangible Illusion can function with a simple Silent Image spell.

Third, the creation spells require a Craft check to make a complex item. Illusion spells are limited only by your imagination, and require no Craft check. You can make a perfect replica of some precious, unique object at hand, for instance, or something complex like an advanced firearm.

A length of adamantine chain / cord can temporarily restrain a super-strength creature or secure a critical gate or door. A diamond the size of a punch bowl could distract a great wyrm dragon. Pawn a perfect replica of the king's crown for laughs. Create an advanced firearm for your gunslinger pal to study as reference so they can make their own. Drop an adamantine anvil from on high to punch through the hull of a ship. Make a giant pile of ice cream, eat it, then gain no weight when the illusory food disappears in your stomach.

Barstro
2017-03-28, 08:58 PM
Stuff.

All good points and good ideas. Gives me something to consider.