PDA

View Full Version : Help on selecting magic items

Mitcholas
2017-03-28, 04:55 PM
Greetings everyone! I've referred to these forums a few times for community info as well as tips on certain aspects of 5e. I figured I'd ask about my situation here :)

I've been invited by a friend to join the 5e game he DMs. The other 3 PCs are already at level 8 which I'll also be starting out at. He's stated that it's intended to be a somewhat casual game and is allowing me to try out the newest version of the mystic class (found on Unearthed Arcana) multiclassed with a monk. The whole idea is to spec in the Mystic Order of the Soul Knife and basically be similar to Wolverine. He's already told me that he'll allow the soul knife to act as a short sword, hence making it a 'monk weapon'.

Here's the thing. Since the party has already adventured a bit and has some gear of their own, he's allowing me to start with either 2x uncommon magic items or 1x rare magic item. I've reached a point where I can't make up my mind on what could be more useful than what, so I've compiled a list of what I think would be good picks and wanted to get some feedback on what's best/worst.

I'm currently 4 Monk / 4 Mystic and am subclassed into Way of the Open Hand & Order of the Soul Knife. My current Disciplines are Celerity and Brute Force. I intend to keep Brute Force for the sole reason of the 20 ft. of jump per psi point spent, which a monk can double. Hence the iconic Wolverine jump. Of course no Tombs/Books can be picked, and no weapons as mine are the Soul Knives. Let me know what you think!

-Rare-
Boots of Speed
Bracers of Defense
Cloak of Displacement
Helm of Teleportation
Mantle of Spell Resistance
Ring of Feather Falling
Wings of Flying

-Uncommon-
Bag of Holding
Cloak of Protection
Ring of Jumping (20ft of jump per psi point, tripled by ring)
Ring of Protection
Slippers of Spider Climbing
Winged Boots

If there are any other items not part of this list that anyone thinks can be useful, please let me know!

Jerrykhor
2017-03-28, 08:39 PM
If you want to mimic Wolverine, why didnt you go Order of the Immortal and take Bestial Form and Psionic Restoration? Soul Knife is more Psylocke than Wolverine anyway. Celerity is bad, I don't know what you're trying to achieve, but adding more options to your already bloated options for your bonus actions is not good. And Surge of Action is utter rubbish.

Are you wearing medium armour? How much AC do you have? I'd reckon you probably have 15-16 AC, so take the Ring and Cloak of Protection to stack some AC.

nickl_2000
2017-03-29, 07:51 AM
There are some many questions here that could cause changes, but my own personal opinion on defaults

Uncommon:
Winged Boots *Requires attunement - Give fly speed, can take care of feather fall without an issue, and are just plain fun. Plus this means that you don't really need to jump very often, so it takes care of that problem.

Either
Bag of Holding (no attunement) - This is only if encumbrance rules apply and you are in a place where a henchman and/or a mule to carry you junk isn't acceptable
Goggles of Night (no attunement) - If you need nightvision
Immovable Rod (no attunement) - Because they are very fun and the uses are pretty much endless
Cloak of Protection *requires attunement - as a default since who doesn't want +1 to AC and +1 to saves.

Rare:
Bracers of defense *requires attunement - +2 bonus to AC which plays perfectly with your monk bonuses

As a since note, the ring of protection is rare.

Mitcholas
2017-03-29, 10:20 AM
After seeing Jerrys reply and looking it over myself, I realize I was too hasty with the build. We were actually supposed to play last night so I only had a day and a half to set him up, however it ended up getting postponed so I now have more time to consider what I want to do. Thanks for the feedback anyway guys. I'm going to take some time to think about this and try to not overextend myself in the next build.

furby076
2017-03-29, 10:54 PM
Cloak of displacement. Its huge help in melee. Since you dont have adamantine skeleton, or wolverines insane healing factor....take the cloak