PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e subclasses as Prestige Classes

ravencroft0
2017-03-28, 06:38 PM
I know the devs have stated that classes aren't supposed to be able to mix it up within themselves, and I would understand any DM saying no. Hypothetically though... how could you do it? I'm sure you could make cool builds, but they wouldn't have the power of a full-fledged subclass. That being said, loophole, game breaking optimizations exist (or will exist). What are your thoughts?

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-28, 06:40 PM
Sounds cool it needs a test run but yeah I'd try it,well I mean just do it as they level past. It. I shall test it I guess. I'll find a working fixture

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-30, 01:28 PM
It depends on the subclass I found a broken onepath of the Juggernaut from mfov is busted but imagine a gnome ancient barbarian warhulk. Funny but terrifying.

Ziegander
2017-03-31, 01:02 AM
Feats.

GESTALT ARCHETYPE
Prerequisite: Character level 6th
Benefit: You gain the first feature(s) of a Primal Path, Bard College, Divine Domain, etc, that you have not already chosen for a class in which you have class levels and have already chosen a different such option. For example, a 6th level Barbarian who chose to take the Path of the Totem Warrior and takes this feat may choose the Path of the Berserker, gaining the Frenzy feature.

As you gain levels, you gain additional features according to the choice you made when taking this feat. At character level 10th you gain the second feature (s) of your chosen Druid Circle, Martial Archetype, Monastic Tradition, etc, at character level 14th you gain its third feature(s) and at character level 18th you gain its fourth feature(s) (if your chosen Sacred Oath, Ranger Conclave, Roguish Archetype, etc even has a fourth feature).

You cannot gain any features with this feat that you could not have at your specific class levels had you not chosen the Bloodline, Patron, Scholarly Tradition, etc in question before taking this feat. For example, a 10th level character, Paladin 6/Bard 4, who chose the Oath of Ancients and the School of Valor could take this feat and choose between the Oaths of Devotion or Vengeance or the School of Lore. Assuming that character was a Paladin 2/Bard 4 at 6th character level, took this feat, and chose the School of Lore that character would immediately gain the Bonus Proficiencies of the School of Lore and the Cutting Words feature, but would not gain the Additional Magical Secrets feature at character level 10th, when his class levels are Paladin 6/Bard 4. If that character later gained at least two additional levels of Bard, then the character would gain the Additional Magical Secrets of the School of Lore through this feat.

This feat cannot be taken more than once per class your character has class levels in.

Now, this is possibly overpowered, especially in certain combinations, and for certain classes, but perhaps worded better (more clearly/concisely), I feel like this is a viable and interesting way to go with the idea.

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-03-31, 02:27 AM
I seem to remember a thread a while back where someone was making feats that basically made you a Gestalt-type character with a little little investment. Can't seem to find it right now though.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-31, 01:13 PM
Feats.

Now, this is possibly overpowered, especially in certain combinations, and for certain classes, but perhaps worded better (more clearly/concisely), I feel like this is a viable and interesting way to go with the idea.
Actually this is the right way to handle this.as feats do I want an asi or another class feature.

ravencroft0
2017-04-02, 04:05 PM
Actually this is the right way to handle this.as feats do I want an asi or another class feature.

Feat prerequisites. Awesome input everyone.