PDA

View Full Version : An odd game idea

Calthropstu
2017-03-28, 07:46 PM
I was thinking earlier and came up with the oddest idea for a game.

A college campus where aspiring gods go. Each pantheon has its own fraternity (Greek, Roman, Nordic, Hindi, Judeo/Christian angels, Cthulhu Mythos etc.) and the PCs each play a different fraternity applicant. They are given classes and quests together, but also given fraternity specific stuff where they try to pull ahead and gain ranking for and within the fraternity. There will also be counter-operative missions where they pull raids and pranks. Since the fraternities are led by actual gods, dying on campus won't be a thing.

The idea was quite silly at first, but as I hash it out it's seeming viable. What does the playground think and what system would you recommend?

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-28, 08:13 PM
I think the only problem would be the amount of death and destruction that might occur. I mean, if the college isn't leveled after a drinking competition between Sekhmet, Hercules and Thor, I think something went horribly wrong.

Given that gods DID die in many of the listed pantheons, how would death be handled? I would also make it clear to the players how historically accurate you want things, as well as make a way to abdicate different versions of the same myth/god. Also! Make sure everyone is on the same page as to the tone and level of inappropriate jokes for the game before ANYONE playing Loki shows up...Or Coyote. Or Shiva. Or Thor. Or Odin. Or anyone.

Sounds hilarious, but I am seriously going to wonder what happened if the death toll isn't at least a thousand.

Saint Jimmy
2017-03-28, 08:19 PM
I'd say it's a really cool idea, but I'm not sure how well including the Mythos would go... Maybe leave that one out:smallwink:

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-28, 08:32 PM
I'd say it's a really cool idea, but I'm not sure how well including the Mythos would go... Maybe leave that one out:smallwink:

I really want to see Hercules hazing Dagon, however.

Cluedrew
2017-03-28, 08:35 PM
Mixing in more active religions could be dangerous... I really think you should do it but be careful.

For system I think your best bet is to take a generic system and tack on the special rules for the different types of gods. Because I really think the rules should represent the differences between an angle, a feathered serpent and one of Zeus's illegitimate children. I'm not sure how, but they probably should.

BarbieTheRPG
2017-03-28, 09:00 PM

A college campus where aspiring gods go. Each pantheon has its own fraternity (Greek, Roman, Nordic, Hindi, Judeo/Christian angels, Cthulhu Mythos etc.) and the PCs each play a different fraternity applicant. They are given classes and quests together, but also given fraternity specific stuff where they try to pull ahead and gain ranking for and within the fraternity. There will also be counter-operative missions where they pull raids and pranks. Since the fraternities are led by actual gods, dying on campus won't be a thing.

The idea was quite silly at first, but as I hash it out it's seeming viable. What does the playground think and what system would you recommend?
Any RPG that allows god-like power works. If your players want simple hijinks, should be fun.

Herobizkit
2017-03-28, 09:45 PM
y'mean something like this...?

https://static5.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11116/111163466/3875731-2157961408-Class.jpg

Not so strange an idea at all. :)

Also see: Clone High for a less deific yet totally hilarious take on the same idea.

Faily
2017-03-28, 09:56 PM
Sounds like it could be a fun variant way of playing Scion (White Wolf). :smallbiggrin:

Berenger
2017-03-29, 07:44 AM

Scion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scion_(role-playing_game)) works for this. Contrary to popular opinion, I found it to be a decent system if you don't try to minmax or otherwise break it. Even if you don't like the system, a lot of the fluff seems applicable to your setting.

But I have a suggestion for the fraternities and sororities: Don't divide them by pantheon, instead divide them by their divine purviews. So have a fraternity of thunder-and-lightning-gods, a sorority of love-and-beauty-goddesses, the somewhat creepy clique of goths responsible for death and disease...

Khedrac
2017-03-30, 02:55 AM
I would think that most Superhero RPGs can handle deities as characters (what decent superhero genre doesn't already have some) at which point this is a fun new variant on the old concept of a 'School for Superheros'.

One possible advantage of using a superhero system is that it should already have rules for making things relatively hero-proof which such a school would need to be.

At this point let rip and have fun.

LibraryOgre
2017-03-30, 11:41 AM
Such as Camp Myth (http://amzn.to/2nE3ATm)?

Saint Jimmy
2017-03-30, 01:05 PM
But I have a suggestion for the fraternities and sororities: Don't divide them by pantheon, instead divide them by their divine purviews. So have a fraternity of thunder-and-lightning-gods, a sorority of love-and-beauty-goddesses, the somewhat creepy clique of goths responsible for death and disease...

This sounds like a good idea, I would recommend it as well.

Anderlith
2017-03-30, 04:04 PM
Scion from WhiteWolf/Onyx Path