PDA

View Full Version : DM Help When a Session is Dragging: "Slog"

TrinculoLives
2017-03-29, 02:50 AM
I recently watched a video by this DM Youtuber, Matthew Colville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBAfzQQZNE

I hadn't watched any of his videos for more than a few minutes before because I find his rapid speech overwhelming, and it never seemed as though he really had much concrete advice. But this video is of reasonable length. I finished it... and I'm still kind of thinking that he doesn't really have any concrete advice. And also that he is wrong.

For those who don't want to watch the video, basically he says that sometimes a game session is a slog to get through. He's vague about what that reason is, but the game he makes reference to included a long-ass fight with a monster; so perhaps the reason is: unnecessarily long combat. He says this is inevitable.

Is it? To offer a different perspective from a different DM, here's what the AngryGM wrote in this article: Four Things You’ve Never Heard of That Make Encounters Not Suck (http://theangrygm.com/four-things-youve-never-heard-of-that-make-encounters-not-suck/)

He says that at its heart, every encounter is about answering a dramatic question: Will the PCs stop the goblins from stealing their wagon? Will the PCs be able to haggle a better deal with the shop-keep? Will the king decide to spare the life of the party rogue? Etc.

"The dramatic question describes what’s at stake in an encounter and why the players care about the encounter. As long as the answer is uncertain, the encounter is tense, exciting, and engaging. So what do you think happens when the answer becomes certain? Did you say “the opposite of tension, excitement, and engagement?".

When the dramatic question of the encounter has been answered, the DM should end the encounter, he says.

Ending the encounter is as easy as removing any remaining sources of conflict and telling the players the answer to the dramatic question. You can use whatever tricks you like. Assume the next hit on any monster kills the monster, allow the monsters to run away, narrate a wrap up (you easily defeat the remaining orc warriors and then you can continue on your way), tell the players they “realize the king is no longer listening and there is probably nothing further they can say to him right now that will change his mind,”

So, is it really necessary to sit through a slog of a combat encounter? (I think combat is the only example Colville gave of a slog, so let's deal with just that.) Colville makes the argument that unlike the best computer game encounters, which are exhaustively tested for quality before you play them; a D&D encounter can only be loosely planned out due to the nature of the game: and this inevitably leads to slog sometimes.

This feels like a false comparison considering that a D&D adventure can be changed mid-session, while a computer game is generally rigid and fixed. Therefore, if a D&D encounter is dragging on and has lost its excitement, that's probably either because,

1. The dramatic question has already been answered (the goblins are too weak to steal the wagon, but they continue to fight anyway; the king has already made his decision, but the PCs continue to argue, etc.);

2. Or, possibly, the encounter design or the game mechanics are holding the players and DM back from getting to the resolution of the question in a timely manner.

I think the first answer is responsible for the majority of stale D&D encounters.

I think the second answer is a problem with the design of the encounter, and, ultimately, the game. Perhaps the game has too many combat rules to look up, or maybe there are simply too many PCs or NPCs or Monsters on the map.

In either case, there is absolutely a solution to this problem of slog. It is avoidable, contrary to what Colville states. In his example, that of the over-long fight with the monster in an episode of Critical Role, I think the main problem may have been that there were too many PCs with too many abilities (a problem with game mechanics) and that the dramatic question may have already been answered as one side fought a losing battle.

I think a DM in these situation should end the encounter "early" (earlier than the combat rules would suggest is acceptable) in the easiest and most sensible way. An unfun and overlong fight isn't adding much value to the game and is a drag on everyone. "Realism", and the rules-faithful playing-out of combat mechanics be damned!

LudicSavant
2017-03-29, 03:38 AM
Agreed with the OP.

If the dramatic question has been answered, you end the encounter, or pose a new dramatic question.

hymer
2017-03-29, 03:59 AM
One worry I have here is when not everyone at the table agree what is a slog and what is not (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1098). Some people really like the process of wiping the floor with someone who doesn't stand a chance, at least once in a while.
5e also assumes some resource management, and in a planned, but grindy encounter that is likely to be the hp. That may not include enough drama to keep everyone interested, but simply putting an abrupt end to the fight will change that equation.

I think it's generally better to turn such a fight into a chase. We all now realize the mooks stand no chance (even the mooks), but if they can raise the alarm, who knows what will happen? So it becomes a race to block them or hunt them down before they can bring another encounter down on the PCs' heads.

RazorChain
2017-03-29, 05:42 AM
I recently ran an adventure where it ended in where the PC's had to defend a house from Wolf-people while the PC's managed to melt a cursed silver mirror. A being in the mirror had cursed the village and changed the villagers into half wolves and half humans. In the heat of the battle the being snatched one PC into the mirror and escaped as his mirror image and started to wreak havoc. The PC locked in the mirror escaped via magic and the PC's managed to push the being back into the mirror and melt it down and defend the house from crazy wolf people.

When the PC's had managed to get the being back into the mirror it just was mop up time and a 3 rounds left of the timer I had given them when the mirror would be destroyed. Then I just wrapped things up and ended it for the night (our gaming time was up) There was no need to play out the last 3 rounds as the PC's had a clear upper hand at that moment, the climax was when they managed to lock the being back in the mirror and I just told them they fended of their adversaries and the mirror melted.

This was scene took around 4 hours and was a constant fight but everyone had fun because for a time it was unsure if the PC's would be victorious and they had nowhere to run.

So a long, drawn out combat isn't a slog when the stakes are high.

LeonBH
2017-03-29, 06:32 AM
In either case, there is absolutely a solution to this problem of slog. It is avoidable, contrary to what Colville states. In his example, that of the over-long fight with the monster in an episode of Critical Role, I think the main problem may have been that there were too many PCs with too many abilities (a problem with game mechanics) and that the dramatic question may have already been answered as one side fought a losing battle.

I think what he meant is that, out of three decades of playing D&D, chances are there will be some games which will turn out to be a slog. You don't plan on it happening, but it just does. I think this is reasonable. Your success rate as a DM cannot be 100% each and every game. Once in a very rare blue moon, you will slip and you will not be able to think of a solution in the middle of the session.

In the given example of Critical Role, the fight was a slog for several reasons (in my opinion):

The players were drinking Kraken, liquor which, based on other people's comments, may have affected them more quickly than other liquors they drink
The dramatic question was answered early (will they find three lodestones?), but the new dramatic question could only be answered by the players (can they escape the Kraken?)
Ending the encounter early would have been the DM giving the players the lodestones and letting them escape. That this would happen was not clear at all until it actually happened -- even just escaping was hard, much less escaping with the lodestones
All through the way of the players trying to escape, they were in a constant losing position against the Kraken

I would agree that the encounter could have been designed better. It was set up as an encounter the PCs were designed to lose from the beginning. They could not kill the Kraken, they must only escape. Otherwise the civilization of one of the players dies, as they were also using the Kraken for their own purposes. But this isn't a typical encounter for them, as usually they get to kill the bad guy.

The advice is geared towards moving on if it happens to you, and not judging yourself as a bad DM if you've let it happen.

TrinculoLives
2017-03-29, 10:37 AM
One worry I have here is when not everyone at the table agree what is a slog and what is not (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1098). Some people really like the process of wiping the floor with someone who doesn't stand a chance, at least once in a while.
5e also assumes some resource management, and in a planned, but grindy encounter that is likely to be the hp. That may not include enough drama to keep everyone interested, but simply putting an abrupt end to the fight will change that equation.
An Easy encounter is a welcome respite now and then, definitely. But the thing about easy encounters is that they are generally over quickly. The example of the LotR dudes killing a hundred orcs is an encounter that is simply too long. But when you run an easy encounter for the players, you know that they will win handily, but they do not. I'd say that once they realize they are winning, at most 2 or 3 rounds of mopping things up should go on before you end it.

As for resource usage, I've thought of this as well in the past. I think it's okay if skipping over the end of an encounter means the PCs have extra spell slots and more health than they would otherwise.

If anything, and I've tried this once or twice before, perhaps the DM can simply ask for some kind of d20 roll in place of any remaining combat to see if the PCs escape unscathed, so as to simulate the monsters getting one last hit in. Ultimately, I don't think it's all that necessary though.

I think what he meant is that, out of three decades of playing D&D, chances are there will be some games which will turn out to be a slog. You don't plan on it happening, but it just does. I think this is reasonable. Your success rate as a DM cannot be 100% each and every game. Once in a very rare blue moon, you will slip and you will not be able to think of a solution in the middle of the session.

In the given example of Critical Role, the fight was a slog for several reasons (in my opinion):

The players were drinking Kraken, liquor which, based on other people's comments, may have affected them more quickly than other liquors they drink
The dramatic question was answered early (will they find three lodestones?), but the new dramatic question could only be answered by the players (can they escape the Kraken?)
Ending the encounter early would have been the DM giving the players the lodestones and letting them escape. That this would happen was not clear at all until it actually happened -- even just escaping was hard, much less escaping with the lodestones
All through the way of the players trying to escape, they were in a constant losing position against the Kraken

I would agree that the encounter could have been designed better. It was set up as an encounter the PCs were designed to lose from the beginning. They could not kill the Kraken, they must only escape. Otherwise the civilization of one of the players dies, as they were also using the Kraken for their own purposes. But this isn't a typical encounter for them, as usually they get to kill the bad guy.

The advice is geared towards moving on if it happens to you, and not judging yourself as a bad DM if you've let it happen.

I was trying to avoid spoilers. :P

I don't think it was designed for the PCs to lose: the goal was simply not one of killing the monster: it had a different kind of goal in mind.

But if Colville was really just saying, "because some games are better than others, in ways that are unpredictable and defy expectations; just relax and don't stress it when a game is a slog," then the video doesn't really contain much in the way of D&D advice?

This unpleasant thing happens.

You can't do anything about it.

It's 'kay.

I suppose it's fair to allow for that unpredictable down-session, as far as humans are imperfect creatures and there is no formula for the perfect game. But this sort of thing doesn't justify, to me, the amount of praise he receives for his quality videos. Perhaps the longer ones have more meat to them? I mean, this video taken in the context of Critical Role feels more like a simple defense of the show's merits in the face of criticisms of the episode.

And it's just too simple. What about this piece of advice that he never mentions: "If a session sucks, end early and go do something else!"

Oh yeah, he can't say that about Critical Role because it's not a normal game. The players and DM must play the game. It's a job for them.

RazorChain
2017-03-29, 11:18 AM
The easy encounter is what I call Badass encounters. I put them purely in place once in a while to allow the PC's look badass or when the adventure has been mostly about RP. It allows the combat PC's to shine.

As for a slog, it's a pacing problem. If the players are having fun it isn't a slog to them. I ran an adventure where the PC's had to investigate things, the plot was set up on schedule when things would happen. I encouraged them after investigating the whole day and gather a few clue that maybe they should call it a day. But the players had so much fun that they had to question everybody and their mothers. It was a slog to me but not to them.

LeonBH
2017-03-29, 11:31 AM
I was trying to avoid spoilers. :P

I apologize :P

As for the quality and meatiness of his videos, I got the general impression that they're all mostly helpful (although I find his outro phrase really weird). If for nothing else, he shares his experiences and things that happened in his actual games, which you can learn from (yes, I did watch all of his videos that are part of his series, the ones tagged with #numbers). I suspect the high amount of praise he receives is because many fans of Critical Role found him via Liam O'Brien's tweet and so they are simply more inclined to think he's a great guy. He also seems to be very experienced, and so new DM's and non-D&D players who are also Critical Role fans (of whom there's a fair number of) will find him much more likeable.

As for this particular video, I don't know, maybe someone would find it helpful. It is just a pat on the back for DMs who've just ran "slog" encounters. He points out later on in the video that it's nobody's fault and try not to blame yourself or the players. Seems important. It does seem to be a defense of the "slog" episode with the Kraken in Critical Role as well -- though it isn't necessarily one, as he just seems to use it as an example. If it was a defense of it, I don't really see that as a negative though.

In conclusion: yeah, his advice really was, "**** happens, deal with it now and next week will be better". If it's not helpful advice to you particularly... well, you're right about that. But I imagine many other people will find the assurance from someone they like/subscribe to helpful.

Breashios
2017-03-29, 05:15 PM
I can see where the OP is coming from. There is no need to continue the slog when the dramatic question is answered, but some players have an expectation that exact events be handled, if not within combat mechanics, with some level of specificity.

Unfortunately, you sometimes get another problem in that they might then disagree with the outcome. What do you do then? Go back and play it out? I’d say no. Instead, just turn that into an opportunity for collaborative story telling. After you get an agreed outcome, retell what happened with your breathless narrator voice!

Posing a new dramatic question would seem to be another good way to keep the action fresh and exciting. Several have suggested and given excellent examples of how this would work: Will the fleeing enemy escape? What will the party do with the large number of prisoners that just surrendered? As for resource depletion…What resources are the PCs willing to use to ensure the prisoners don’t just return to their previous activities?