PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Collection of spells in need of critique [PEACH]

Nope
2017-03-29, 03:27 AM
I recently thought a lot of cool spell ideas so decided to put them into this thread. Critique and feedback appreciated! Keep in mind the spells with [WIP] are work in progress, so judge them accordingly. I will add more spells as time goes on.

ROULETTE BLAST
4th-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 ft
Components: V, S, M (four coins with distinctive opposite sides)
Duration: Instantaneous

A cracking bolt of blue force launches from your hand. Make a ranged spell attack against a target within range. On a hit, the target takes 4d8 lightning damage.

If the initial attack hits, roll a d100. On a result of 25 or more, another bolt launches from your hand and strikes the target, dealing 4d8 damage. Repeat the process, adding 25 to the threshold each time. You can repeat this effect up to three times, for a maximum of four blasts.

AUTHENTIC IMAGE
4th-level illusion

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 ft
Components: V, S, M (a bit of fleece)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

You create the image of an object, a creature, or some other visible phenomenon that is no larger than a 20-foot cube. The image appears at a spot that you can see within range and lasts for the duration. It seems completely real, including sounds, smells, temperature and even texture appropriate to the thing depicted.

As long as you are within range of the illusion, you can use your action to cause the image to move to any other spot within range. As the image changes location, you can alter its appearance so that its movements appear natural for the image. For example, if you create an image of a creature and move it, you can alter the image so that it appears to be walking. Similarly, you can cause the illusion to make different sounds at different times, even making it carry on a conversation, for example.

In addition, the illusion is so indistinguishable from reality that it can deal psychic damage to a creature. If you wish to deal damage in this way, it is always 4d6 psychic damage, regardless of the means it deals damage (an illusion of a rapier and a fire bolt will both deal 4d6 psychic.) It is also limited to deal damage to one creature per turn.

A creature that uses its action to examine the image can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the creature can see through the image, and its other sensory qualities become faint to the creature. In addition, the creature cannot be harmed by the illusion.

CHANCE
9th-level evocation

Casting Time: 2d4 rounds
Range: Self
Components: S, M (a four-sided die made of materials worth at least 500gp)
Duration: Instantaneous

Chance is the ultimate spell of luck. The spell's effects could range from a small mote of force that does nothing more than a small burn to a monumental barrage of energy, levelling if not annihilating everything in its path.

To determine what area of effect it has, roll a d4.
1. 60 ft. cone
2. 80 ft. cube
3. 120 ft. by 20 ft. line
4. 45 ft. radius

Each creature in the area must make a saving throw determined by rolling a d4. The damage type is also determined by this.
1. Constitution save, lightning damage
2. Dexterity save, fire damage
3. Intelligence save, force damage
4. Wisdom save, psychic damage

To determine the damage, roll a d20. Take the result and roll that many d10s. Each target takes that much damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. Regardless of the damage type, it ignites any exposed flammable objects and damages structures.

Nope
2017-03-30, 01:53 PM
Critique? Feedback? Anything?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-30, 02:16 PM
Critique? Feedback? Anything?

Keep your panties on, darling, I'm here now.

With Roulette Blast, I would assume that the player will usually get one extra blast. They'll get 2 extra 3/8 of the time, but none 2/8 of the time. Thus, it's just a bit more than 8d8 against a single target - about the power level of Blight. So I'd make it 4th level. I'm a little uncomfortable about making it a saving throw to get more blasts though. It feels wrong and possibly opens you up to unexpected abuses (such as people with Magic Resistance). I'd change it to a d100 roll against 25, 50 and then 75, for an absolute maximum of four blasts.

Authentic Image also looks like a solid 4th-level spell. It's basically Major Image with a long duration and a small damage capability. The one thing I would change about it is "If you wish to deal damage in this way, the maximised damage cannot exceed 5 times your spellcasting ability modifier." This is annoyingly difficult to process, and requires the player to do a bunch of maths every time they cast the spell. Players will try to abuse it, too, such as (with a spellcasting ability of 20) saying "I deal 1d4+20 damage".

Given that you're effectively limiting this to 25 damage points under normal circumstances, why not just say that "whenever it deals damage, it is always 4d6" or something. You should probably also specify that it can only hurt one creature per turn or something.

Nope
2017-03-30, 02:42 PM
With Roulette Blast, I would assume that the player will usually get one extra blast. They'll get 2 extra 3/8 of the time, but none 2/8 of the time. Thus, it's just a bit more than 8d8 against a single target - about the power level of Blight. So I'd make it 4th level. I'm a little uncomfortable about making it a saving throw to get more blasts though. It feels wrong and possibly opens you up to unexpected abuses (such as people with Magic Resistance). I'd change it to a d100 roll against 25, 50 and then 75, for an absolute maximum of four blasts.

Authentic Image also looks like a solid 4th-level spell. It's basically Major Image with a long duration and a small damage capability. The one thing I would change about it is "If you wish to deal damage in this way, the maximised damage cannot exceed 5 times your spellcasting ability modifier." This is annoyingly difficult to process, and requires the player to do a bunch of maths every time they cast the spell. Players will try to abuse it, too, such as (with a spellcasting ability of 20) saying "I deal 1d4+20 damage".

Given that you're effectively limiting this to 25 damage points under normal circumstances, why not just say that "whenever it deals damage, it is always 4d6" or something. You should probably also specify that it can only hurt one creature per turn or something.

Noted and modified. Thank you!