PDA

View Full Version : How to use harmful potions? (Alternative uses for Brew Potion)

MonkeySage
2017-03-29, 08:14 AM
I'm playing as a Witch, and I use Brew Potion a lot... I've been trying to come up with a way to make use of the more harmful potions I can make; I can make Inflict Potions to heal our Dhampir Paladin... But how might I use them in a fight? Other than Beguiling Gift, I mean.

I'm a chef; can I bake potions into my confections, helpful or harmful?

Venger
2017-03-29, 08:42 AM
I don't know the level of backporting your table allows, but you might look at 3.5's alchemist savant, which does this. they brew potions into spellvials and can hurl them at enemies like bombs or grenades, triggering offensive effects.

Psyren
2017-03-29, 08:47 AM
As mentioned in your other thread, you have far more effective ways to be offensive as a Witch than trying to trick or compel your enemies to drink an Inflict potion. I would stick to making potions for your allies and yourself.

There is no RAW for using potions to cook or bake. Complete Arcane has rules for alternate potions (like "spell cookies") if your group is willing to backport, just keep in mind that any alternate form you put a potion into will still ping on Detect Magic et al, and enemies will still get a saving throw even if they willingly consume such an item.

Telonius
2017-03-29, 09:34 AM
I get what you're trying to do there; the image of the evil witch casting a horrible high-level spell while standing over a bubbling cauldron is awesome, but unfortunately it's not well-supported with the rules.

I'd suggest talking to the DM about this, and home-brewing (sorry) a change to the Scribe Scroll feat. Instead of the end product looking like a piece of paper, it now looks like a potion vial. Otherwise it's functionally equivalent to a regular scroll, same activation time, same cost to make, and so on. (Maybe you could even scribe the recipe into a "cookbook" if you have a more wizardly bent?) This is the sort of thing that I'd allow in a heartbeat. It's as balanced as the original feat, you're still paying for it with a feat, and it helps make a character more awesome.

MonkeySage
2017-03-29, 09:43 AM
I get what you're trying to do there; the image of the evil witch casting a horrible high-level spell while standing over a bubbling cauldron is awesome, but unfortunately it's not well-supported with the rules.
In my case, that's actually true, lol. My character is LE, and got his magic from a Faustian bargain. :P

Bucky
2017-03-29, 09:51 AM
You can refluff your touch spells as delivered by a splash of liquid.

Neknoh
2017-03-29, 07:10 PM
Give them to somebody with a decent CMB check and see if the DM would allow them to force them down people's throats mid-combat?

My backup plan for facing a dragon (if all things go really, really poorly), is to have my fighter shove a vial of very, VERY bad-news-liquid down the dragon's gullet. Will probably require something like... my arm in exchange to make it work, but hey, flavour, flavour, flavour! =D