PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks in game downtime suggestions

Vaz
2017-03-29, 09:31 AM
So was having a natter with my group and we've decided to start a new quest and our DM has been hard at work. We have 2 weeks of in game downtime, what suggestions do you have for activities within this time?

For reference we are a party of 7th level individuals and are on friendly terms with the higher ups.

Typhon
2017-03-29, 09:48 AM
There a millions of things that could be done to earn a bit of extra coin and reputation. Help local farmers tend livestock and fields. If there is construction projects ongoing, help them get completed. Various shops always appreciate a helping hand. Orphanages always need donations of clothes, help, food, and children would love to hear the tales of adventure. Churches always rely on assistance for upkeep and various things.

Two weeks is also time to train on maneuvers and learn new tasks (not become proficient, but learn). Research spells, make items, scout the local wilds.

There is a lot that can be done.

LeonBH
2017-03-29, 09:49 AM
Go carousing
Establish a drug cartel
Work out some more
Learn a new recipe (if you know how to cook)
Find a semi-steady relationship
Take night classes
Pose nude for college art classes
Try veganism
Gamble
Learn how to say "hello" in different languages
Hang out more with your buddies
Conduct espionage on someone inside town

Marvnmartian
2017-03-29, 10:27 AM
if you are a spell caster 2 words Spell Scrolls. ever feel that you are low on spells all time for 4 days and 100 gold you can make a level 1 spell scroll or cantrip scroll. i personally abuse this in any game i am in for shield scrolls and pass them out to melee characters like candy. Because "Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it."

just think a barbarian runs into combat with the BBEG has the bear totem and a shield then pops out a shield scroll putting their ac around 25 taking half damage if he does get hit in the first round makes for easier encounters and lets the barbarians and fighters of your party feel more tactical when they get to use their 'spell'

but barring making spells scrolls then if you have 20 days and 500 gold a robe of useful items for money, winged boots for flying tactics and a bag of tricks for combat shenanigans also for 20 days spent you can make 2nd and 3rd level scrolls.

if your gm is cool and allows a little bend in the rules a deck of illusions is uncommon and will take 20 days to make which is just fun for gameplay

also you can ask the gm to train during your downtime with a professional in your class in the big city of your area to learn a skill proficiency or even a minor feat that will help you out

ruy343
2017-03-29, 11:15 AM
So... I've been working on this for a while. It's still a draft, and I don't have much time to work on it these days, but here's something that might help (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e1q08ak25_tJJP0b4xoR7JCqjmkUoCWFx-tHs8IK1CM/edit?usp=sharing).

If others wish to make suggestions of things that I could write or add, feel free to write it as a comment. Don't spam, or I'll have to cut off all comments. Thanks.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-29, 11:37 AM
All your religious characters should be spending time in holy places to get inspiration. I don't have the book the in front of me, but this is one of the best down time actives you can do. ( as it provides mechanical advantage later )

As said above, spells scrolls should be a priority to make, even if you don't have a wizard, commission some as they will be ready by the time you are done

Fancy equipment can also be ordered and be ready when you are ready to go out, Silver some weapons and arrows if you don't already have magical bypasses ( Even if you do it still a good idea to keep some silver arrows with you)

Start using your money to buy power, donate to local causes, give expensive gifts to nobles, acquire land and standing

You can't go wrong adding new things to the town you are in, No temples to your Deity? Fix it! No local wizard? Fix it! A lack of a strong military defense force? Fix it!
Any place you hang out at will eventually be targeted by the BBEG because plot so the more effective your headquarters is at defending itself the better.

Coidzor
2017-03-29, 11:39 AM
You can get 5.6% of the way through learning a new language or getting proficiency in a new tool.

JellyPooga
2017-03-29, 01:19 PM
Pub.

For two weeks.

Start the next adventure with the mother of all hangovers.

Your GM will love you for giving him/her the opportunity to introduce plot devices by narrating your (mis)deeds during that time.

Fishyninja
2017-03-29, 01:52 PM
Pub.

For two weeks.

Start the next adventure with the mother of all hangovers.

Your GM will love you for giving him/her the opportunity to introduce plot devices by narrating your (mis)deeds during that time.

When in doubt......TO THE PUB.
I feel a drunken talent contest should be squeezed in there somewhere.

Matrix_Walker
2017-03-29, 02:07 PM
I'll second the notion for crafting scrolls for fun and profit!

Contrast
2017-03-29, 02:36 PM
Your PCs risk their lives on a daily basis and are presumably sufficiently well off that they can spend their two weeks doing whatever they want.

Take the chance to relax. Doesn't have to be a bender (though that works too). Visit the opera. Visit your family/friends. Go to a spa.

Coming up with something in character is always more interesting to me than 'I use my trade skill and earn 17 gold' :smallbiggrin:

tkuremento
2017-03-29, 02:52 PM
if you are a spell caster 2 words Spell Scrolls. ever feel that you are low on spells all time for 4 days and 100 gold you can make a level 1 spell scroll or cantrip scroll. i personally abuse this in any game i am in for shield scrolls and pass them out to melee characters like candy. Because "Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it."

just think a barbarian runs into combat with the BBEG has the bear totem and a shield then pops out a shield scroll putting their ac around 25 taking half damage if he does get hit in the first round makes for easier encounters and lets the barbarians and fighters of your party feel more tactical when they get to use their 'spell'

but barring making spells scrolls then if you have 20 days and 500 gold a robe of useful items for money, winged boots for flying tactics and a bag of tricks for combat shenanigans also for 20 days spent you can make 2nd and 3rd level scrolls.

if your gm is cool and allows a little bend in the rules a deck of illusions is uncommon and will take 20 days to make which is just fun for gameplay

also you can ask the gm to train during your downtime with a professional in your class in the big city of your area to learn a skill proficiency or even a minor feat that will help you out

Read DMG Page 200, "If the spell is on your class's spell list, you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell's components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible."

Ruslan
2017-03-29, 02:58 PM
Here's a list I developed for my group:

Basic survival at a modest lifestyle during downtime costs 10 gp. All income and expenses specified below are on top of that.
You may purchase any number of mundane items, as long as you have the money to spare (for normal listed cost), and sell mundane items (for 75% of listed cost).
In addition, you may choose to do TWO of the things below during the downtime. You can't choose the same option twice, unless specified.

1. Take up non-adventuring work.
- You find work as a craftsman, fencing trainer, bodyguard, teacher, performer, trail guide, hunter, temple acolyte or whatever non-adventuring work is applicable for your character.
- You earn 10 gp x (your level) during the downtime period.
- You may choose this option twice (burning the candle at both ends!), to earn twice as much
2. Learn a new skill, tool or language.
- Specify which skill/tool/language you want to become proficient in.
- Most skills/tools/languages take more than one downtime period to learn. Be prepared to spend several periods on this.
- It also may cost money to find a tutor.
- You may choose this option twice, to accelerate the learning.
3. Reunion
- Reconnect with people from your background (your partners in crime, your former military buddies, members of your noble house, etc.).
- They may have useful advice or information for you.
- You may also choose to have them shelter you for free (no need to spend the 10 gp mentioned above)
4. Spell research (wizard only)
- Choose a Wizard spell of any level you could cast, and add it to your spellbook.
- This research costs 50 gp per spell level, half of that if a spell is from your school of specialization.
5. Find magical or exotic items to purchase
- Describe what kind of items you'd like to find for sale, and how much money you're willing to spend.
- The DM will have something for you, although maybe not exactly what you were looking for.
6. Sell magical or exotic items
- The DM will have a buyer for you, although possibly not for the price you wanted.
7. Research
- Go to the library, gather rumors in a local pub, or pray for counsel from your deity.
- You may have a specific question(s) in mind, of just general search for information.
- The DM will have some interesting information for you.
8. Carouse
- For a while, you engage in a hedonistic lifestyle, throwing lavish parties and getting drunk.
- This costs at least 20 gp, although you may choose to spend more.
- Lots of interesting things can happen! And probably will!
9. Make a new contact
- Choose the kind of VIP you'd like to be introduced to (e.g. town's mayor, the leader of the thieves' guild, etc.).
- Costs at least 10 gp, may cost more, depending on the importance of the person
10. Spread rumors
- You may spread rumors about yourself (to glorify yourself, or even establish a false identity) or about someone/something else.
11. Scribe a scroll (spellcaster only)
- Scribe one of the spells you know onto a scroll.
- A spell may be cast from a scroll once, effectively increasing your number of spell slots.
- A scroll is a one-use item.
- It costs 50 gp per spell level to scribe a scroll, half of that if you’re a Wizard and the spell is from your school of specialization
- The casting time of a spell from a scroll is the original casting time or “1 Action”, whichever is more.
12. Practice your combat skills, or meditate and pray for good fortune
- You gain Inspiration at the start of the next adventure.
13. Recuperate
- If you suffer from any debilitating illness, long-term effects of poison, etc., you become cured at the end of downtime.
14. Brew potions/poisons (Proficiency with Alchemist Supplies, Herbalism Kit or Poisoner Kit required)
- Describe the effect of the potion or poison, the DM will have the money and time requirements for you.
15. Craft (proficiency with appropriate tools required)
- You may attempt to craft a suit of armor, a carriage, a boat, etc.
- Expensive items may have to be crafted over several downtime period.
- Some gold for raw materials will have to be expended.
16. Charity Work
- You engage in charity activities in the community.
- In addition to spending time, you may also donate any amount of gp you choose
- This is likely to have positive effect on your reputation
17. Train someone else
- You train someone else – tutoring another person, or teaching tricks to an animal.
- You must be proficient in the skills you are teaching, or in case of training an animal, be proficient with the Animal Handling skill.

Vogonjeltz
2017-03-29, 05:15 PM
So was having a natter with my group and we've decided to start a new quest and our DM has been hard at work. We have 2 weeks of in game downtime, what suggestions do you have for activities within this time?

For reference we are a party of 7th level individuals and are on friendly terms with the higher ups.

Depending on what the higher ups euphemism means...

Maybe they get invited to a feast, a ball, or other party. To go on a hunt for a weekend.
Perform some sacred rites (DMG 129)

Depending on character preference...carousing seems like a fun choice (DMG 128)

Assuming the characters know what quest they are undertaking, research, crafting, recuperating, or training (PHB 187) all seem like good ideas.