PDA

View Full Version : 5e lvl 3 dungeon

bovinelightfoot
2017-03-29, 09:38 AM
Im trying to make an encounter for lost mines from the starter box. Need to complete the shrine of luck and find the spell book. I would like to do a lvl3 dungeon. Preferably undead to tie her to the story. Im saying she died trying to hide the spell book and because she was killed by indead she became what she is today cursed forever. Problem is i dont know what monsters to fill this with the challenge lvl system is weird to me. Should they be challenge lvl3 and a boss like lvl4?

"Yes im a Minotaur rouge. Im super stealthy like a bull in a china shop" bovine lightfoot aka twinklehoof

Foxhound438
2017-03-29, 03:08 PM
the CR system in 5e is pretty bad, as it's balanced around having the 6-8 encounters per day if you're building encounter CR = character level. That said, since it is a dungeon, and you are looking at fairly low character level, designing fights to be total CR of 3 +/- a bit would be fine, and a boss monster should probably be CR 5 or 6. Just make sure to have enough encounters to really challenge your party, preferably not all of the same creatures.

That would be how I personally would do it, the boss fight would probably drop someone if it is that strong, but that adds a nice sense of danger to the fight that a lone CR 4 creature would probably not achieve.

JackPhoenix
2017-03-29, 03:15 PM
If you aren't sure how the encounter building in 5e works, I suggest using this (http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder). Or reading the rules in DMG, but this one is easier and much more convenient even if you know the rules.

Specter
2017-03-30, 07:14 AM
"Yes im a Minotaur rouge. Im super stealthy like a bull in a china shop" bovine lightfoot aka twinklehoof

This actually made me laugh.

bovinelightfoot
2017-03-30, 09:54 AM
, designing fights to be total CR of 3 +/- a bit would be fine, and a boss monster should probably be CR 5 or 6. Just make sure to have enough encounters to really challenge your party, preferably not all of the same creatures.

That would be how I personally would do it, the boss fight would probably drop someone if it is that strong, but that adds a nice sense of danger to the fight that a lone CR 4 creature would probably not achieve.

So each mob equals a challange of 3 and the boss fight have the main guy be a 4 and a couple 1/2 guys in there?

bovinelightfoot
2017-03-30, 09:56 AM
This actually made me laugh.

This was just a joke character I made but Im going to play him and his int is low so he thinks his catchphrase actuallyis a good thing

Foxhound438
2017-03-30, 04:40 PM
So each mob equals a challange of 3 and the boss fight have the main guy be a 4 and a couple 1/2 guys in there?

even CR 1 or 2 for the boss's extras is probably fine if there's only 2.