PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Starting an Apocalypse

Ancalidormis
2017-03-29, 10:29 AM
I've been wanting to run a mythic/Gestalt campaign set in Golarion for a while now. I want it to take place during the Apocalypse.

Basically, the end of the world starts happening and the wisest sages and seers discover a way to stop it from progressing any further. They gather some of the most powerful heroes from across Golarion and explain what must be done.

The heroes must go to Hell, Abaddon, and the Abyss; seeking several greater artifacts of great power. Once all three are obtained, they must seek out three places of power to charge these artifacts with energy. Then they must return to Golarion and use/destroy the artifacts in such a way as to stop the Apocalypse.

I dont have all the details worked out yet, but I wont be running it until December, so I have plenty of time to plan this out. Bestiary 6 and the Book of the Damned will be wonderful for planning, but they are not out just yet.

Anyways, I wanted to pick the Hivemind's brain and discuss how to do this the best way.

As far as characters go, I'm gonna let them roll up 10th level Gestalt characters, before slowly granting mythic ranks as they progress and overcome the horrors that await them.

JeenLeen
2017-03-29, 10:40 AM
There's a 3.5 (or maybe 3.0) book called... Elder Evils or Exemplars of Evil... that has several apocalyptic scenarios, each with a different otherworldly being bringing about the end of the world. One neat aspect is that, as the end draws near, the being's influence increases in the world. You might find that interesting.

If you want some intrigue, you could have the 'quest giver' who summoned the heroes -- or at least one of the group of wise sages -- actually be the agent of another great evil that wants the players to get part of the task done. Maybe evil beings can't charge the items of power, so it wants the players to do that then will try to steal the items in order to usurp the big bad's role in ending/ruling all things. It posed as good -- or killed and is now impersonating someone who was good -- since that was the only way to fulfill its goals.

One critique I have of the campaign is that it sounds awfully railroady (not itself a problem if the players are cool with it) and repetitive (get items 1, 2, 3, then charge items, 1, 2, 3). I can see having to journey to the three underworlds to get each item, but I'd recommend having the quest to recharge them being one quest instead of three. UNLESS you can really make a cool enough scenario that it would alleviate any repetitiveness.

Ancalidormis
2017-03-29, 10:54 AM
There's a 3.5 (or maybe 3.0) book called... Elder Evils or Exemplars of Evil... that has several apocalyptic scenarios, each with a different otherworldly being bringing about the end of the world. One neat aspect is that, as the end draws near, the being's influence increases in the world. You might find that interesting.

Definitely a possibility. I'm still not sure of what/who is doing this apocalypse. It could be Rovagug, the Four Horsemen, the Demon Lords, the Archfiends, or evil deities.

If you want some intrigue, you could have the 'quest giver' who summoned the heroes -- or at least one of the group of wise sages -- actually be the agent of another great evil that wants the players to get part of the task done. Maybe evil beings can't charge the items of power, so it wants the players to do that then will try to steal the items in order to usurp the big bad's role in ending/ruling all things. It posed as good -- or killed and is now impersonating someone who was good -- since that was the only way to fulfill its goals.

I could even see a powerful fiend willingly coming to aid them.

One critique I have of the campaign is that it sounds awfully railroady (not itself a problem if the players are cool with it) and repetitive (get items 1, 2, 3, then charge items, 1, 2, 3). I can see having to journey to the three underworlds to get each item, but I'd recommend having the quest to recharge them being one quest instead of three. UNLESS you can really make a cool enough scenario that it would alleviate any repetitiveness.

I agree. Perhaps a trip to the positive energy plane to charge all three?