PDA

View Full Version : Warlock 3.5 question

j!nx
2017-03-29, 11:26 AM
I am having a little bit of a hard time understanding how invocations work with eldritch blast like essence and shape even reading out of the complete arcane I still have a little confusion does anybody know how to put it in more simple terms (KISS)
-sincerely the rook

Hunter Noventa
2017-03-29, 11:32 AM
All invocations are standard actions.

Eldritch Blast is an invocation that deals damage with a ranged touch attack similar to a ray, by default.

An Eldritch Blast can have a single shape, and a single essence applied to it.

For example with shapes, Eldritch Spear is a shape, it increases the range of the Blast to 250ft. Eldritch Cone is a shape, it changes the blast to a 30ft cone that allows a reflex save. You can't use both at once, and you don't have to use any if you don't want. Essences work the same way.

Adding a shape or essence to the blast is a totally free action. It's like decided who you're targeting, it doesn't take any time at all.

In the most basic terms, you have Eldritch Blast + (Shape) + (Essence). But both (Shape) and (Essence) can be none.

j!nx
2017-03-29, 11:35 AM
so you can have both like lets say a level 1 warlock you can have eldritch spear and frightful blast? you just have to chose which one or none to use or no?

Telonius
2017-03-29, 11:37 AM
Right. You can have one shape and one essence; just not two shapes or two essences.

j!nx
2017-03-29, 11:41 AM
now does the 1 invocation known include choosing one also from the other invocations list such as breath of the night,darkness etc..

Maximum Carnage
2017-03-29, 11:42 AM
Warlock invocations work similar to spells of other arcane casters, with a few exceptions. They draw from their own spell list, and they don't use a level classification for the different tiers of spells, instead of 1,2,3,4,5... you have Least, Lesser, Greater, and Dark. Your allotment of daily spells is given in the Warlock table.

As far as the blast shapes go, they are applied to your bread and butter spell: Eldritch Blast.

Some examples are:

Eldritch Spear (increases range of Eldritch Blast)
Eldritch Glaive (allows the spell to be used as a melee attack)

Not entirely sure if blast shapes affect the level of the invocation, but I'm sure someone can shed some more light on the subject. Hope this helps!

MC

Particle_Man
2017-03-29, 12:00 PM
now does the 1 invocation known include choosing one also from the other invocations list such as breath of the night,darkness etc..

The (non-shape) (non-essence) basic eldritch blast is free.

You at first level get 1 known invocation. It could be a shape blast, it could be an essence blast, or it could be something else. You don't get a free shape blast beyond the 1 invocation known at level 1. You don't get a free essence blast beyond the 1 invocation known at level 1. You at first level get 1 invocation total.

The paucity of invocations known and paucity of skill points are the two banes of the warlock class. It is also "feat hungry". So human or strongheart halfling are good race choices.

j!nx
2017-03-29, 12:07 PM
The (non-shape) (non-essence) basic eldritch blast is free.

You at first level get 1 known invocation. It could be a shape blast, it could be an essence blast, or it could be something else. You don't get a free shape blast beyond the 1 invocation known at level 1. You don't get a free essence blast beyond the 1 invocation known at level 1. You at first level get 1 invocation total.

The paucity of invocations known and paucity of skill points are the two banes of the warlock class. It is also "feat hungry". So human or strongheart halfling are good race choices.

SO IS Hunter Noventa AND Telonius still correct? or do you just have ONLY 1 meaning u pick only 1 blast or 1 essence or 1 other invocation

Telonius
2017-03-29, 12:15 PM
SO IS Hunter Noventa AND Telonius still correct? or do you just have ONLY 1 meaning u pick only 1 blast or 1 essence or 1 other invocation

Oh - didn't realize you were talking about just what you get at level 1, not using invocations generally. Yes, you only pick 1 invocation at first level. You would pick either a shape or an essence or an other. (You don't have to pick Eldritch Blast itself; all Warlocks get it). When you get a bit higher level, combining blasts, essences, and others starts becoming an issue.

Remuko
2017-03-29, 04:05 PM
At level 1 you have your 1d6 at will Eldritch Blast. You can choose any one Least invocation from the Warlock list. It could be a shape, an essence, or just a normal invocation (which tend to be fairly strong and last 24 hours, even though theyre usable at will as well). I hope this clears things up for you.

KillianHawkeye
2017-03-29, 10:54 PM
All the talk about combining eldritch blast shapes and eldritch essence invocations was all on the assumption that you've taken some with your invocations known. You don't have to take any, or you could take several and decide on the fly which one you'll use from round to round. They are simply two categories of invocations which change the effects of your eldritch blast. The third category contains all the other invocations which have effects that aren't related to eldritch blast.

If you're only level 1, you won't be able to have both a shape and an essence (or multiples to choose from), so that's not an issue yet. When you gain a new invocation, it can be any of the three types of invocations.

Particle_Man
2017-03-30, 12:49 AM
This might be helpful to you in making invocation choices:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?252715-The-New-Warlock-Handbook-3-5-WIP

Mordaedil
2017-03-30, 01:15 AM
You could also play NWN2 to get an idea of how it works.

But basically your choices are between shapes, essences or "other".

Everyone else has gone into detail about the two first, but the "other" category are spell-like abilities you get instead. You can cast them an unlimited times per day and they are often a bit stronger than the Wizard equivalent, at the cost of your lack of choices. The "other" category does not use your eldirtch blast in any way, shape or form.

weckar
2017-03-30, 07:15 AM
I keep forgetting, does EB count as an invocation you could trade away later or is it exempt from that rule?

Mordaedil
2017-03-30, 07:26 AM
It's your base ability, so no.

Particle_Man
2017-03-30, 09:15 AM
I should add that I had a blast playing my Warlock. :smallsmile:

It is a "no paperwork" magic-user which I liked a lot.

Allanimal
2017-03-30, 09:40 AM
I should add that I had a blast playing my Warlock. :smallsmile:

Was it, by chance, an Eldrich blast?

j!nx
2017-03-30, 10:34 AM
I 100% completely understand it now through all of your time an effort on explaining It to me

Hunter Noventa
2017-03-30, 11:50 AM
I 100% completely understand it now through all of your time an effort on explaining It to me

Happy to help! Have fun with your lasers!

KillianHawkeye
2017-03-30, 12:22 PM
Pew! Pew! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Rerednaw
2017-03-30, 01:16 PM

Ask your DM if he accepts flaws. Take 2 of them (say -2 melee if u plan to be ranged, or 1- AC, etc...) and then you get 2 feats in exchange. With human or strongheart halfling that gives you 4 feats at level 1 which really helps.

KillianHawkeye
2017-03-30, 02:52 PM
Ask your DM if he accepts flaws. Take 2 of them (say -2 melee if u plan to be ranged, or 1- AC, etc...) and then you get 2 feats in exchange. With human or strongheart halfling that gives you 4 feats at level 1 which really helps.

This isn't bad advice in general, but having more feats at 1st level won't help a warlock get any more invocations.

Big Fau
2017-03-30, 07:00 PM

Now you just have to figure out if Blast Shapes/Eldritch Essences are cast as part of using your Eldritch Blast or if you have to cast them separately. :P