PDA

View Full Version : Ptolus

j!nx
2017-03-29, 01:23 PM
running the ptolus campaign setting bought the book and gear should be up and running next month for first game after finishing my ptolus literature, gave each player the guide to read anybody else ever run this campaign or play in it? any good stories or good times anybody wishes to share about it

j!nx
2017-03-30, 02:40 PM
so no one played this campaign before and had a good time...?

Ualaa
2017-03-31, 07:20 PM
I bought the digital version, on Drive Thru RPG.

Each time a campaign ends, we vote on what the next campaign will be.
The last three times a campaign ended, Ptolus was the least desired next campaign.

That's a bit odd, as you can run several different styles within the setting.
I wouldn't have spent that much (on a PDF) if I didn't like the reviews for it, and think it had a lot of potential.

I like that there is the decaying empire that is failing.
That there are noble families, essentially feuding but discreetly rather than war on the streets.
The crime families are also feuding, for control of the streets.
That you can run a series of dungeon delves, or use them occasionally to acquire old/lost treasures.
That you can buy insurance to be rescued, or the PCs can rescue other parties that didn't return from beneath the city.
The Spire, as a high level adventure, to close out the campaign is neat.

I like the technology aspect as well, Chaositech.

I thought it had a lot of variety and potential.
But apparently, it isn't that highly rated amongst my players.

j!nx
2017-04-03, 11:44 AM
I am running 3 players solo for a few levels ( rouge,ranger,warlock) until there characters start to become somebody or something then I was going to run all of them together for the rest of ptolus ran a game with one of the players he played a Halfling rouge living in the warrens went pretty good I really enjoy the description on every page I do not like the chaositech, but I enjoy just about everything else this will be the first time ever playing a urban based campaign and your right this city gives you much to work with, the book tho.. must at least weigh 20lbs,

lightningcat
2017-04-03, 08:16 PM
I also got the pdf, and found the setting really interesting. And that is as far as it went. I've not ran a D&D game since I got it.

j!nx
2017-04-04, 02:46 PM
I bought the book with the handouts and everything for $140, hoe come you never ran a game? nobody wanted to play??