PDA

View Full Version : Good monsters for a semi-aquatic fish army

Epicsakura101
2017-03-29, 04:45 PM
I'm beginning work on a new adventure and I'm looking for ideas. The boss of the adventure is currently called "The Big Bass" and is literally a bass who was once caught, escaped, and now seeks revenge against the cruel fishermen who captured him. To this end he has been amassing an army to mobilize against the local fishing town.

The only problem with this is that I don't know what to put in said army! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

AlanBruce
2017-03-29, 04:58 PM
Depending on the campaign's level, there's a bunch of sea monsters the Bass could have at its disposal.

Stormwrack has sea animals like the Barracuda, Eel and Otter all the way to the Scyllan. Again, power amongst them varies wildly. It depends on how tough the fishermen are going to be.

Monster Manual I has a bunch of sea animals too, in the Animal entry, ranging from octopus to the whale and shark. Other notables are the Chuul, Sahuagin and Kuo Toa, to name a few.

Again, it is all campaign dependent. How tough is this Bass guy? Is he an awakened fish? if so, have him swim with his posse of awakened sea animals, all with class levels to wreak havoc on those evil fishermen.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-30, 01:01 AM
The notorious Monstrous Crab (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a)!

Venger
2017-03-30, 01:10 AM
what's the class, level, and optimization level of your party?

hope someone makes a bass-slapping joke in your campaign.

Bullet06320
2017-03-30, 01:25 AM
reading the threat from the sea trilogy and the anthology forgotten realms novels would give you a good idea of aquatic armies

Celestia
2017-03-30, 02:32 AM
Psionic Cuttlefish.

Swaoeaeieu
2017-03-30, 03:09 AM
My players are currently encountering a migration of Kuo Toa. The smallish fish people are very lovable, except they are terrifying in a fight.
Maybe the big bass has a Kuo Toa cleric as an adviser?

Uncle Pine
2017-03-30, 03:34 AM
What kind of resources should we expect from this particular big bass? Because I can totally see something like a Big Damn Crab with arcane cannons (fiendish monstrous crab with a Warlock dip) used as a tank in an evil fish army, but without some additional information on the power level of the bass, the PCs and/or the world it's kind of difficult to make less than vague suggestions.

Epicsakura101
2017-03-30, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure who my party is yet. We're thinking they'll be about level 5 by the time we run this adventure.

I have no idea what the bass is exactly yet. I know he's going to have powers of telepathy, his stench will give the PCs a negative morale bonus to will saves, and near the end of the fight I think he'll transform into some kind of fish goliath. That's all I've got this far. I like the idea of him being an awakened animal, but I only have a vague idea what that means.

This was sort of a spur-of-the-moment idea that was born from a typo. It popped up and we ran with it. Since I have no idea how he'll turn out everything is fairly malleable.

As a new DM I appreciate all the advice you guys have been providing more than you can imagine.
Thanks! :)

Rerednaw
2017-03-30, 11:50 AM
Re-skin an Aboleth. Just be careful, these guys can easily TPK.
Kua-Toa are essentially wimpy versions of Lovecraftian Deep Ones....but it does open the door to Mythos. :)

AlanBruce
2017-03-30, 04:54 PM
I like the idea of him being an awakened animal, but I only have a vague idea what that means.

This was sort of a spur-of-the-moment idea that was born from a typo. It popped up and we ran with it. Since I have no idea how he'll turn out everything is fairly malleable.

As a new DM I appreciate all the advice you guys have been providing more than you can imagine.
Thanks! :)

Here's the spell. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm)

Since you're the DM, you could explain the awakened sea life as an act of 'Mother Nature', choosing the Bass as their leader.

From there, go wild with rogue minnows and barbarian otters.