PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Steel Crossbow (Drg 349) and Special Materials?

Jowgen
2017-03-29, 05:05 PM
Dragon Magazine 349 p. 28 details rules for making any given Crossbow entirely out of steel. Cost 300 gp and you can then whack people with the crossbow as if it were a mace, plus seperately enchant it as a melee weapon.

What I now wonder is whether this opens up the option to then make things such as Adamantine Crossbows which then bestow the benefits of the special material onto the bolts that are fired.

Thoughts?

Uncle Pine
2017-03-29, 05:32 PM
I don't have that Dragon issue on hand at the moment, but I don't remember any mention of adamantine projectile weapons bestowing their special (adamantine-based) benefits on their ammunitions. I'll be back once I actually read the weapon description.

tyckspoon
2017-03-29, 05:42 PM
The bow is not its ammo. If you want ammunition made of special materials, there are rules for that. You only transfer what the game tells you to, which is typically magical properties that say so.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-29, 05:44 PM
No. Magical enhancements bestow their properties on ammunition because of magic.
Special materials aren't magical. A crossbow made of adamantine doesn't turn your steel-tipped crossbow bolts into adamantine-tipped crossbow bolts any more than a wooden crossbow turns them into wood-tipped bolts.