PDA

View Full Version : Marine infantry (Royal Marine Commandos)

Melcar
2017-03-29, 05:34 PM
Hellow fellow scribes...

I'm looking to build some marines for a future naval setting, we play high level, so this is really some NPC's the character can command on deck, and during boarding of other ships. My initial thought was to mix modern English Royal Marines (correct my if I'm wrong, but I think they are some of the first original marines) or perhaps on modern ones (Except the gun part).

I'm looking to make them level 8, and need some good ideas for classes, feats, equipment and fluff. The setting is Forgotten Realms and we play in a kind of year 1300 AD era.

Any comments would be much appreciated

PS: All official sources are allowed.

PPS: I have been looking through Stormwrack, but have exhausted that I feel (might be wrong)...

Eladrinblade
2017-03-29, 06:18 PM
Wilderness Rogue 5/Ranger 3

This gives you all the low-level goodies of the rogue class (minus improved uncanny dodge), two attacks per round, basic ranger stuff pre-animal companion/spells, and all the skills you'd want. Proficiency with martial weapons, decent fort and great reflex. If you're using elite array, I'd go Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8. I'd have some of them go twf with improved shield bash and light spiked shields, and the others go rapid shot with longbows (with precise shot). Improved Initiative on everybody. I think they can use wands for ranger spells despite not having casting yet.

Particle_Man
2017-03-29, 07:53 PM
How scary do you want them to be?

Because a group of 8th level Crusaders with all White Raven Maneuvers and Stances would be a frighteningly organized group, fighting at full BAB and working seamlessly to deny foes AoOs, give bonuses to their combat buddies to hit, charging (if you allow that from ship to ship) for extra damage, giving bonuses on will saves and in particular vs. fear, maneuvering easily around enemies (possibly to flank), doing extra damage to flanked opponents, doing extra damage when a buddy's foe is dropped, giving each other extra turns(!), making opponents flat-footed, and having a temporary buffer against damage that gives them bonuses to hit and damage when wounded, plus a free reroll/day on saves. Mind you the recovery mechanic might be wonky so to save time you might use the same random results for all the marines. They could use different stances though, as tactically appropriate.

You can even throw in the feats: White Raven Defence and Clarion Commander.

Vizzerdrix
2017-03-29, 08:36 PM
What is that prc from heroes of battle that boosts party init? Commando something? I could see them using that on a ranger+ rogue base.

Also, forgotten realms has firearms, so you could go that route if you wanted. And dont forget shapesand, those alchemical breath masks, eggshell grenades, and a few of those kobold explosives.

Melcar
2017-03-30, 09:08 AM
Thank you for your build suggestions so far. I will surely look into those suggestions and see how they marry up with my thought and further ideas. One thing, which is important to me, is that they are build around the concept of marine infantry, so for my the fluff has to be there. I can always give them a few more if needs be, but they just really have to feel like marines. These jar heads needs to be cool.

With that said, I surely can see some great ideas in the already mentioned suggestions, but I still need some cool fluff I feel.

Feel free to bring forth any concept or fluff ideas... the actual optimizations is second hand in this build!

Thanks again!

nintendoh
2017-04-01, 03:01 AM
Wilderness Rogue 5/Ranger 3

This gives you all the low-level goodies of the rogue class (minus improved uncanny dodge), two attacks per round, basic ranger stuff pre-animal companion/spells, and all the skills you'd want. Proficiency with martial weapons, decent fort and great reflex. If you're using elite array, I'd go Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8. I'd have some of them go twf with improved shield bash and light spiked shields, and the others go rapid shot with longbows (with precise shot). Improved Initiative on everybody. I think they can use wands for ranger spells despite not having casting yet.

Disagree. Marines have at least a 18 in charisma. Its the uniform.

Dappershire
2017-04-01, 04:34 AM
Disagree. Marines have at least a 18 in charisma. Its the uniform.

Seconded.

Also consider they all wear Leather Gorgets.

Andezzar
2017-04-01, 05:24 AM
Also consider they all wear Leather Gorgets.But can they fire three shots in a minute?

Firechanter
2017-04-01, 09:46 AM
Three rounds a minute? The South Essex can fire two on a good day!

--

For Marines, the dumpstat should go into Int. XD

nintendoh
2017-04-01, 12:22 PM
Three rounds a minute? The South Essex can fire two on a good day!

--

For Marines, the dumpstat should go into Int. XD

I see you enjoy sterotyping. Allow me to join you. Marines should have two flaws. Aggressive and making poor decisions involving women.

Int 14 or higher as they are highly skilled in a variety of things.

Eladrinblade
2017-04-01, 12:52 PM
highly skilled in a variety of things.

A given marine has roughly average int like anybody else, but they likely have a class that gives many skill points, like ranger or rogue.

nintendoh
2017-04-01, 01:03 PM
I would be willing to concede a low wisdom score however the average marine has an above average spot/listen.

nintendoh
2017-04-01, 01:38 PM
What is that prc from heroes of battle that boosts party init? Commando something? I could see them using that on a ranger+ rogue base.

Also, forgotten realms has firearms, so you could go that route if you wanted. And dont forget shapesand, those alchemical breath masks, eggshell grenades, and a few of those kobold explosives.

Dread commando

CozJa
2017-04-01, 04:28 PM
What about Storm Sentry from Dragonmarked? That's basically a group of cool half-elves with full BAB and the ability to slam people in the face with their Gust of Wind. They are built to be powerful guards on a vessel and can make for an interesting group of tactical fighters (Like using Gusts of Wind to dislodge people from their position on enemy ships, or similar things)