PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Advice for a Transformed Paladin

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-29, 06:34 PM
So me and my group (level 4) were sorting through a haunted mansion, you know, checking out magic artifacts. Apparently Protection From Evil and Good does stuff all against the Stone Mask from JoJo and now I have been turned into a magic hungry vampireish, thing. Luckily the affects seem to be limited at this point to be a hunger for eating magic items which I think I can temporarily suppress.

What would be the best way for an Oath of the Ancients Paladin to search for a cure without breaking his oath? Is there a certain amount of Dirty Harry tactics I can employ without violating the spirit of my Oath? There's a sorcerer who's spirit (or body) may still linger in this mansion so I'm probably going to interrogate him, what do you guys think would be the best way to go about it?

furby076
2017-03-29, 10:17 PM
In 5e, i dont think your oath is broken if you are being unwittingly controlled or corrupted. Maybe your powers will be supressed until you get fixed...

Everstar
2017-05-03, 03:59 PM
In 5e, i dont think your oath is broken if you are being unwittingly controlled or corrupted. Maybe your powers will be supressed until you get fixed...

The general consensus is if an oath is broken willing or unwillingly (while you are being controlled for example) then you have fallen and lose your powers. In either case you seek absolution from a Cleric pretty easily to regain your former standing. A DM might require a quest or some other act to show your willingness to repent if you have broken your oath willingly. Oaths broken unwillingly should always be easy to be absolved of since it is not really your fault in the first place.

Breaking the oath willingly, and not caring you have, makes the fall more dire, either becoming an oathbreaker or taking levels in a new class.

Obviously, not everyone agrees with this interpretation but it best follows the RAW.