PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on wraithstrike

Chidori
2017-03-29, 07:25 PM
Hi i have a quick question about the spell as an weapon enchanment. Before you ask my dm is okay with the spell.

Is it possible to give a weapon that spell as an enchanment? Can it be a permanent effect as in each turn i can activate it at-will. Or is it only possible as x/day. If it possible where can i calculate the price for such enchanment

Crake
2017-03-29, 07:35 PM
permanent wraithstrike is better than the brilliant energy weapon ability, in that it still hits non-living creatures, and ignores natural armor, wheras brilliant energy does neither, but if it's activated, that means it still takes up your swift action each round. The reduction of value of that last bit varies from character to character, on a fighter it means practically nothing, but on an initiator it's a pretty big deal. So if you were looking for a place to start with pricing, I would say at least a +4 bonus, if it eats up your swift action, higher (+5 perhaps) if it's just always on.

If it's an x/day ability though, it's cost should be 2 (spell level) * 3 (minimum CL) * 2000 (use activated) / 5 * charges per day, so for say, 3/day, it would cost 7200. However, as a weapon ability, it is considered slotless, meaning a double cost multiplier (this is why weapons cost twice as much as armor by the way), and since it's an additional ability on top of the already enchanted weapon, it incurs another *1.5 cost multiplier (this precedence is set by other set price abilities on weapons and armor) for a total cost of +21,600 gp for 3/day wraithstrike.

Particle_Man
2017-03-29, 07:38 PM
A novice level ring of the diamond mind would allow one to pick "emerald razor" as a maneuver, allowing its "touch attack" use 1x/combat if one is not a martial adept (crusader, warblade, swordsage, etc.) and 1x/refresh mechanic if one is. This would cost 1500 gp, 120 xp and 3 days to make for an item worth 3000 gp. It would take the ring slot.

Spell Storing is a +1 enchantment that would allow one use (but would need "recharging with spell strike" to be used again.

Crake
2017-03-29, 07:41 PM
A novice level ring of the diamond mind would allow one to pick "emerald razor" as a maneuver, allowing its "touch attack" use 1x/combat if one is not a martial adept (crusader, warblade, swordsage, etc.) and 1x/refresh mechanic if one is. This would cost 1500 gp, 120 xp and 3 days to make for an item worth 3000 gp. It would take the ring slot.

Spell Storing is a +1 enchantment that would allow one use (but would need "recharging with spell strike" to be used again.

Spell storing casts the spell on the target of your attack, so it wouldn't really apply here.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-29, 08:26 PM
The correct method for pricing this is to compare it to existing items, i.e. Brilliant Energy (+4 cost) or Novice Ring of the Diamond Mind (1/encounter, no item slot doubles the price to 6,000 gp).

Since neither of those are an exact match, let's see what happens if we use Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) instead:

Use-activated or continuous (as a continuous effect): Spell level (2) × caster level (minimum 5th (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#casterLevel) Craft Magic Arms and Armor) × 2,000 gp.

"If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4."
"No space limitation (An item that does not take up one of the spaces on a body costs double.): Multiply entire cost by 2"

So that's 2 x 5 x 2,000 gp x 4 x 2 = 160,000 gp, plus it must be applied to a magical (+1 or greater) weapon.

Chidori
2017-03-29, 08:50 PM
Ah okay thx alot

Crake
2017-03-29, 09:03 PM
The correct method for pricing this is to compare it to existing items, i.e. Brilliant Energy (+4 cost) or Novice Ring of the Diamond Mind (1/encounter, no item slot doubles the price to 6,000 gp).

Since neither of those are an exact match, let's see what happens if we use Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) instead:

Use-activated or continuous (as a continuous effect): Spell level (2) × caster level (minimum 5th (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#casterLevel) Craft Magic Arms and Armor) × 2,000 gp.

"If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4."
"No space limitation (An item that does not take up one of the spaces on a body costs double.): Multiply entire cost by 2"

So that's 2 x 5 x 2,000 gp x 4 x 2 = 160,000 gp, plus it must be applied to a magical (+1 or greater) weapon.

The feat does not set any sort of minimum caster level at all. There are numerous examples of items existing at lower caster levels than the feat requires, 1st level wands and potions are a prime example, but also practically every ring in existence. Admittedly that would still only reduce the cost to 96,000gp, but when you consider that a +1 weapon with a +5 weapon enhnacement is 72,000 (effectively costing 70,000gp after the +1), and anything above that goes way up (+2 vs +7 cost puts the value at 120,000gp), I think +5 for always on fits pretty decently.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-29, 10:51 PM
The feat does not set any sort of minimum caster level at all. There are numerous examples of items existing at lower caster levels than the feat requires, 1st level wands and potions are a prime example, but also practically every ring in existence. Admittedly that would still only reduce the cost to 96,000gp, but when you consider that a +1 weapon with a +5 weapon enhnacement is 72,000 (effectively costing 70,000gp after the +1), and anything above that goes way up (+2 vs +7 cost puts the value at 120,000gp), I think +5 for always on fits pretty decently.

Published magic items have the printed caster level when found as treasure. Prior to the DMG errata, the printed caster level of an item was an additional prerequisite for creating it.

After the DMG errata, they made it so every created magic item has a caster level set by the creator, with the minimum caster level being the minimum required to meet all of the item's prerequisites, per the link I provided (last sentence under caster level). Magical weapons and armor have Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a prerequisite for making them, thus any created magic weapons or armor must have a caster level of at least 5th, by RAW.

Crake
2017-03-29, 11:00 PM
Published magic items have the printed caster level when found as treasure. Prior to the DMG errata, the printed caster level of an item was an additional prerequisite for creating it.

After the DMG errata, they made it so every created magic item has a caster level set by the creator, with the minimum caster level being the minimum required to meet all of the item's prerequisites, per the link I provided (last sentence under caster level). Magical weapons and armor have Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a prerequisite for making them, thus any created magic weapons or armor must have a caster level of at least 5th, by RAW.

All magic items were created at some point or another. NPCs follow the same rules as players, and someone, somewhere, made that ring of invisibility at CL3 (which by the way means that the ring, when activated, only leaves you invisible for 3 minutes).

I mean, I can see your point, but there's just such a rediculous precedence that says otherwise.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-29, 11:36 PM
All magic items were created at some point or another. NPCs follow the same rules as players, and someone, somewhere, made that ring of invisibility at CL3 (which by the way means that the ring, when activated, only leaves you invisible for 3 minutes).

I mean, I can see your point, but there's just such a rediculous precedence that says otherwise.

Maybe those items were made before the rules changed? :smallwink:

Dagroth
2017-03-30, 08:05 PM
You can voluntarily lower your caster level when you make a magic item... as long as it stays high enough to cast the spell required for the item. This is how the same Caster can make either a +4 weapon or a +1 weapon.

As for a weapon with Wraithstrike... just get UMD and put a Wand Chamber in the sword.

Eldariel
2017-04-02, 04:31 AM
If you can cast 8th level spells (or have some means to Persist spells for free, such as Divine Metamagic, Incantatrix, Spelldancer or such), you can simply cast Persistent Wraithstrike and have it last for 24 hours per casting. Saves you actions and makes all your attacks touch attacks.