PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What's the best system for a pony-themed game?

Miltonian
2017-03-29, 07:28 PM
Hello playgrounders! Yeah, my question is pretty much the title. I'm looking to run an MLP game, but I don't know what system would be best. But I see a lot of quotes and other stuff from players and DMs currently in those sorts of games, so I figured this would be the place to ask!

Vitruviansquid
2017-03-29, 07:32 PM
That would entirely depend upon what you think are the significant parts of MLP you wanted to emulate.

Fable Wright
2017-03-29, 07:39 PM
It really depends on your preferred framework. GURPS and FATE are both rigorous enough as systems to handle mechanics for basically any kind of adventure, up to and including pony adventures. Ponyfinder is a well-known supplement to Pathfinder which introduces the races and feats to get ponies integrated into the system. Alternatively, I've used DigoDragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?435720-My-Little-Pony-Races-for-D-amp-D-5e)'s 5e edition races for a game with him before that imploded.

Usually, the pony aspect of a game is usually just cosmetic/fluff over another system. So, what's your preferred game? We can help you find content from there.

sktarq
2017-03-29, 07:40 PM
Most will need massive modification. So I'd say work with what you are most familiar.

Fate would work well

World of Darkness mortal setup may be good for its social focus etc far more than the supernatural splats based on it
Just heavily modify the skill list and change the morality/integrity stuff to something more friendship based

Avoid FATAL

Miltonian
2017-03-29, 07:50 PM
Alright then. Good point.

For the game I have in mind, there would have to be some combat, but it's no Fallout: Equestria. In other words, combat is an option but not necessarily the first option. DnD and Pathfinder, at least as I've encountered them, both assume that the mass-slaughter of enemies is the norm. So I was looking for something else.

Avoid FATAL. Ha. As if I wasn't avoiding it as hard as I could already.

Koo Rehtorb
2017-03-29, 08:42 PM
Dark Heresy, clearly. http://i.imgur.com/H1BdJlE.jpg

TheCountAlucard
2017-03-29, 09:48 PM
You should give Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine a shot. Pony-style shenanigans aren't the default, but it's adapted easily enough. :smallsmile:

Anderlith
2017-03-29, 10:40 PM
Sounds like a job for DresdenFATE.

I dont know the source material, but i know that the brands on their side indicate what kind of jobsmurf they are so that is their High Concept. Then add other character bits. Also add in the Theme of Friendship is Magic

Alabenson
2017-03-30, 06:52 AM
Hasbro actually released an official MLP RPG called Tails of Equestria not too long ago, and the reviews for that have been that it does a pretty good job of portraying the show. Also, you may want to head over to the MLP thread, Topaz routinely posts a list of links to various MLP related tabletop RPGs.

Socksy
2017-03-30, 07:46 AM
How much combat do you want?

There's a third-party setting for Pathfinder with half a dozen rulebooks called Ponyfinder.

Martin Greywolf
2017-03-30, 08:13 AM
I'd say go for FATE, either Core or Accelerated, depending on taste. Since social encounters use the exact same mechanics as combat (if you remember to use them, that is), you get mechanical depth whether you're fighting Discord or baking cakes for Ponyville's Annual Totally Cannon Shindig.

Only real work you need to do is figure out how you'll handle the magic and you're pretty much done.

Darth Tom
2017-03-30, 10:47 AM
Paranoia?
Call of Cthulhu?
Fallout?

I'll be going, now.

Alabenson
2017-03-30, 11:00 AM
Paranoia?
Call of Cthulhu?
Fallout?

I'll be going, now.

Well, considering that one of the biggest fanworks in the fandom is a Fallout/MLP crossover, that last one isn't totally out of bounds

FocusWolf413
2017-03-30, 11:10 AM
I second Dark Heresy, because friendship is magic, magic is heresy, and heretics get a bolt to the back of the head.

LibraryOgre
2017-03-30, 11:37 AM
While I don't think it would be especially good at it, nor do I think Savage Worlds would be especially bad at it.

Miltonian
2017-03-30, 03:56 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!