PDA

View Full Version : Illusionist tips

GreyBlack
2017-03-30, 01:00 AM
Good morning playground!

So we're starting a new campaign in our group and we all had to roll for our classes and specializations (although multiclass is permitted). So, I wound up rolling for an illusionist, which can get very borked vey quickly in previous editions. Even minor illusion was able to get extremely powerful. Need some space? Make an illusory wall and cast spells through it while the enemy is confused. Wanna spy on someone? Make an illusory table to hide behind. Wanna panic your enemies? Make it sound like an army is coming through the halls and make some shadows to make it more convincing.

My DM, who has more experience in 5e than me, feels that illusion is rather weak, however. Are there any differences in illusions I need to be aware of? Is his opinion justified? Are there any tips that I should be aware of? Thank you all so much!

NecessaryWeevil
2017-03-30, 01:16 AM
My DM, who has more experience in 5e than me, feels that illusion is rather weak, however. Are there any differences in illusions I need to be aware of? Is his opinion justified? Are there any tips that I should be aware of? Thank you all so much!

Illusion is as strong or as weak as your DM chooses to make it. Run some of the things you expect to do with it past your DM to make sure you are on the same page.

GreyBlack
2017-03-30, 04:53 AM
Illusion is as strong or as weak as your DM chooses to make it. Run some of the things you expect to do with it past your DM to make sure you are on the same page.

That's fair. More than anything, I'm looking for differences in how illusions might function and maybe pick up some fun tricks. XD Really not a Player vs DM thread.

NNescio
2017-03-30, 05:08 AM
The key thing is to never rely on illusions as a one-trick pony (until you have Illusory Reality, but even then you still don't want to have only one trick, even if it's a very good one). Mix it in with Conjurations and Transmutations (and some Evocation BFCs) to keep your enemies on their toes (I this an illusion or an actual summoned creature? Is this fire real or fake?).

Mixing things up also provides solid backing to call out on a DM's bullcrap metagaming against illusions (How did those creatures without spellcasting experience or Knowledge: Arcana manage to figure out which effect is an illusion and which is not?).

One of the most important things to notice about illusions (chiefly the Image line) in 5e compared to previous illusions is that they generally still retain some effect even if enemy creatures find them unconvincing. There are no longer free disbelieve checks and saving throws against most illusions ('except' for the Phantasms, which generally require an initial failed INT or WIS save to take root in the target's mind), so creatures have to spend actions to investigate them or movement/attacks to physically interact with illusions to see through them. So, in a way, the Image line of illusions allows you to block LoS for a short while at the very least even if your illusions aren't particularly convincing and your enemies have every reason to suspect they're illusions.

This is best illustrated with Minor Illusion, your bread and butter during the earlier levels. Since I'm too lazy to retype everything, I'm just going to quote myself from another (mostly unrelated) thread:

Every High Elf should take Minor Illusion. Best cantrip in the game bar none.

Need a distraction? Minor Illusion! Better than Prestidigitation/Thaurmaturgy too, for this purpose!

Need something to hide inside? Minor Illusion!

Need to break LoS? Like, say, against enemy Counterspells? Minor Illusion! Works even if they know you're there!

Need advantage on your attack roll next round? Or your ally's? Minor Illusion! True Strike is for chumps. Heck, you even get to keep your advantage sometimes, if your attack doesn't physical interact with the illusion (c.f. Chill Touch)!

Want disadvantage against one enemy attack roll? Minor Illusion!

Need to conceal or set up traps? Minor Illusion!

Need to tell your party or an NPC what you just saw? Minor Illusion!

Need to help your party illusionist (Actual Illusionist, or a Warlock, Bard, etc) make their Silent Images seem more real? Now with Minor Illusion,anyone can be a sound projectionist too!

Need to spruce up a conversation? Intimidate an enemy, or punctuate your statements with images? A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say, and this spell provides RP opportunities par excellence! Say hello to MINOR ILLUSION!

Most of the good uses of Minor Illusion noted above are just benefits you gain by blocking LoS.

Once you gain Malleable Illusions, you open up a wide range of options, as you can use an action to 'reset' an Image if it's no longer convincing. This is powerful when combined with Major Image cast from a 6th level spell slot or higher (as it effectively becomes permanent). Note that Malleable Illusions works on every spell in the Illusion school (so long as you can "see" the spell effect), and not just the Image line. You can use it on, say, an object created by Creation (which is Illusion instead of Conjuration now), like a piece of rope (which you Created on the day before), and change it into a 5-foot cube of wood instead to block a passageway, all with just one action, without touching any further spell slots. This gets downright broken with Mirage Arcane, as you can freely change terrain and structures (which are solid even without Illusory Reality) every round as an action so long as you have LoS. Note also that Malleable Illusions is restricted only by LoS and not line of effect or even interplanar barriers, as you're not technically casting a spell, but modifying one already in place. This makes it powerful in conjunction with remote-sensing spells like Arcane Eye and Project Image.

(Yep, Mirage Arcane + Malleable Illusions is pretty much your own personal Reality Marble.)

Your illusionist 'capstone' is of course Illusory Reality. This one can turn Image spells into no-save BFC effects by creating physical obstructions around your enemies (like say, an adamantine cage or hollow cube), but really, its power is limited only by your imagination (and to some extent, what your DM allows you to get away with it) and the restriction that it would not deal any damage or harm other creatures. It's your personal Green Lantern ring by that point.

Vogonjeltz
2017-03-30, 04:52 PM
Make it sound like an army is coming through the halls and make some shadows to make it more convincing.

Minor Illusion can't make shadows. (Only objects)

Silent Image on the other hand, can. (Creatures, Objects, Phenomena)

#1 tip for aspiring Illusionists: Make sure to actually read the spells before coming up with grandiose ideas.

jaappleton
2017-03-30, 04:57 PM

Yeah, this sums it up incredibly well. If your DM loves creativity and rewards you for it, Illusions can be utterly spectacular. If they think it sorta sucks, or have that "It sucks because it doesn't do damage and you need to think" mentality, it can be pretty worthless.

EDIT: One thing I will suggest, which can go a long way toward providing fake effects, is the Thaumaturgy cantrip. If your DM lets you pair cantrips (The ones I have had have never cared if I wanted to use Prestidigitation in conjunction with Thaumaturgy) you can create some really awesome effects. Change your eye color while your palms crackle with electricity and your voice booms for all to hear!