PDA

View Full Version : Knight in shiny multiclass

Desteplo
2017-03-30, 05:37 AM
Was trying to find a good way to play a mounted character and came up with this build.
Level progression:
Lvl1 fighter
Lvl5 paladin

Lvl3 sorcerer
Lvl6 paladin
Lvl11 fighter

You get an intelligent mount that attacks on its own initiative, plus can share spells such as enlarge then 3 attacks an action. On top of metamagic, smites and con save + cha bonus.
But how do lances work on horseback? Since your mount is one size bigger and you are the center of a 4 square creature, can you attack someone adjacent to your mount without disadvantage? How does that work when using a non reach weapon?

Arkhios
2017-03-30, 05:44 AM
You get an intelligent mount that attacks on its own initiative, plus can share spells such as enlarge then 3 attacks an action. On top of metamagic, smites and con save + cha bonus.
But how do lances work on horseback? Since your mount is one size bigger and you are the center of a 4 square creature, can you attack someone adjacent to your mount without disadvantage? How does that work when using a non reach weapon?

First of all, a creature's space is an abstraction. The creature isn't stationary in a locked position, it can move within the space as needed, bending from one side to another, etc. to allow you to utilise your weapon's reach as if you were on the edge of that space.

Desteplo
2017-03-30, 06:36 AM
First of all, a creature's space is an abstraction. The creature isn't stationary in a locked position, it can move within the space as needed, bending from one side to another, etc. to allow you to utilise your weapon's reach as if you were on the edge of that space.

So "yes" and "normally" thank you for answering my question.

Arkhios
2017-03-30, 06:48 AM
So "yes" and "normally" thank you for answering my question.

Mind if I ask you what's your problem with being thorough? Should I be apologetic or something for doing that? I was just trying to be helpful the best way I thought possible: by being thorough. Or if you have some other issue with me for some unknown reason, please do tell with a Private Message and maybe we can sort this out?

Specter
2017-03-30, 07:00 AM
Not only do you not get disadvantage, but if you have the Mounted Combatant feat you get advantage against medium > creatures. Mandatory for anyone who's trying a mounted build.

Frankly I'd get rid of Sorcerer, unless it's really important for a concept.

JellyPooga
2017-03-30, 07:25 AM
Multiclassing your Fighter with Lore Bard might be a viable alternative to Paladin+Sorcerer;

- Additional Magical Secrets for Find Steed.
- Proficiency and Expertise in Animal Handling to stay in the saddle.
- Bardic Inspiration can be used on your steed.
- Better spellcasting progression.

Having said that, Paladin 6/Bard 14 is a mighty fine "knight in shining armour" build. You can get Find Steed from Paladin as needed and spend your Magical Secrets on other spells. You get 9th level spell slots and most of the goodies Paladin offers.

Desteplo
2017-03-30, 09:48 AM
Multiclassing your Fighter with Lore Bard might be a viable alternative to Paladin+Sorcerer;

- Additional Magical Secrets for Find Steed.
- Proficiency and Expertise in Animal Handling to stay in the saddle.
- Bardic Inspiration can be used on your steed.
- Better spellcasting progression.

Having said that, Paladin 6/Bard 14 is a mighty fine "knight in shining armour" build. You can get Find Steed from Paladin as needed and spend your Magical Secrets on other spells. You get 9th level spell slots and most of the goodies Paladin offers.

Was going more martial, and a quicken enlarge to effectively become huge turn one while still getting an action to attack felt better

-I agree that was my first choice. Very much saves the day gets the girl.

-but I remembered shining force and the duel wielding lance centaurs. Them read find steed and noticed they shared spells. Then the feat gives you advantage on smaller enemies. So wanted to maximize those finer points.

-fighter lvl1 gives con save proficiency and paladin adds cha to it. (Since being huge because mount and able to redirect damage from mount) you are going to be the main target just by size!

-although thinking that, it's a VERY feat heavy build and would probably end up with its base stats through the game

Desteplo
2017-03-30, 09:50 AM
Not only do you not get disadvantage, but if you have the Mounted Combatant feat you get advantage against medium > creatures. Mandatory for anyone who's trying a mounted build.

Frankly I'd get rid of Sorcerer, unless it's really important for a concept.

Find steed shares spells, QUICKEN ENLARGE!!! ;)
-read that feat when I was making the concept ;)

Tetrasodium
2017-03-30, 09:44 PM
Was trying to find a good way to play a mounted character and came up with this build.
Level progression:
Lvl1 fighter
Lvl5 paladin

Lvl3 sorcerer
Lvl6 paladin
Lvl11 fighter

why are you bouncing between fighter & paladin?

Desteplo
2017-03-30, 10:50 PM

To start with con save
then get the mount
then get enlarge
then get charisma to saves
Then eventually 3 attacks

-I'm sure
Fighter 1
Paladin 6
Sorcerer13
Is easier to work out (armor and con save, more spells and more sorcery points/uses of smite) but I was thinking more of a martial character.

Or even paladin 6 sorcerer 14 and use resilient feat for con save

I get there are probably better builds.

My main reason for this post was to ask about how lances worked.

Tetrasodium
2017-03-30, 11:08 PM
To start with con save
then get the mount
then get enlarge

-I'm sure
Fighter 1
Paladin 6
Sorcerer13
Is easier to work out (armor and con save, more spells and more sorcery points/uses of smite) but I was thinking more of a martial character.

I wasn't criticizing just curious. But there is a much better option for an intelligent mount if you buddy up with a friend, moon druid mount. pickup mounted combatant for the rider & sentinel for the druid it is win win awesome for both

Arkhios
2017-03-30, 11:25 PM

Well, along with what he already said, there is some benefit in having two fighting styles (say, maybe Protection to keep the mount alive longer(*), and maybe Dueling for the lance to deal 1d12+str+2 damage?)

*edit: although, Mounted Combatant is likely better if you yourself have Defense style, but I'm really not sure whether disadvantage on attacking the mount isn't better than completely redirecting the attack to you who will take the whole brunt of its results.

djreynolds
2017-03-31, 04:23 AM
To start with con save
then get the mount
then get enlarge

-I'm sure
Fighter 1
Paladin 6
Sorcerer13

Why not just
Fighter 1
Paladin 12
Sorcerer 7

improved divine smite is really that good, IMO, as it makes it easy to hold back on the smite usage since your damage is competitive, and your Auras at 7th and 10th are that good