PDA

View Full Version : Adding flavour to my warlock

Khutef
2017-03-30, 08:06 AM
Hi Playgrounders.
I'm playing in a group of four characters and I'm wanting a bit more variety class-wise from my character. Problem is that I don't know what would work.

Some background:
Party consists of a War cleric, Berzerker, Moon Druid and my Undying Warlock. We're now lvl 7 and I might want to multiclass after lvl 10.
The campaign is Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat.
Character's stats: Str 7, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 18
Race: Svirfneblin
Tomelock with the ritual Invocation
Spells:
Cantrips: Thaumaturgy, Poison Spray, Eldricht Blast, Spare the dying, Chill Touch, Mending, Blade Ward
Others: Arms of Hadar, Hex, Gaseous form, Hallucinatory Terrain, Misty Step and I can't remember the rest.

Anyone have any ideas how to make this more interesting onwards from lvl 10?

nickl_2000
2017-03-30, 08:12 AM
Dropping a few levels into Bard would be an interesting addition, gives your 4 bardic inspirations a day, some more cantrips, and a mess of face skills (plus the instrument of the bards magical items). The challenge with this is the why. What made you warlock all the sudden consider picking up and instrument and strumming along

Sirithhyando
2017-03-30, 08:19 AM
Well, i'm playing a halfling death cleric 2/ undying warlock 5. (and he plays the bagpipe at any religious ceremony to the point my companions want to destroy the bagpipe... he also doesn't heal... the paladin is the healer... when he have to heal, i roll a percentage to see if he mistake cure wounds for inflict wounds... they haven't yet asked for Healing :smallbiggrin:)

Anyway, it's a fun combination though you asked for flavor ideas... his flavor is not mechanicaly. I think it's more fun for the group when flavor comes from outside a mechanic. (not sure if i make much sense, sorry if i dont :P)
Mecanic doesn't make the flavor, you make the flavor then see if you can do something mecanically to complement it. :smallwink:

Khutef
2017-03-30, 08:29 AM
That bard idea is pretty good.

The why needs a little work, but this reminds me somewhat of a Finnish folk-hero called Väinämöinen. He sang his enemies into marshes (read drowned).

Khutef
2017-03-30, 08:33 AM
Well, i'm playing a halfling death cleric 2/ undying warlock 5. (and he plays the bagpipe at any religious ceremony to the point my companions want to destroy the bagpipe... he also doesn't heal... the paladin is the healer... when he have to heal, i roll a percentage to see if he mistake cure wounds for inflict wounds... they haven't yet asked for Healing :smallbiggrin:)

Anyway, it's a fun combination though you asked for flavor ideas... his flavor is not mechanicaly. I think it's more fun for the group when flavor comes from outside a mechanic. (not sure if i make much sense, sorry if i dont :P)
Mecanic doesn't make the flavor, you make the flavor then see if you can do something mecanically to complement it. :smallwink:

I had more in mind a working mechanic and then spin a story around that. Sort of a backwards flavouring :)

Sirithhyando
2017-03-30, 08:48 AM
I had more in mind a working mechanic and then spin a story around that. Sort of a backwards flavouring :)

That's good, then the bard idea is awesome. You might want to see the sorcerer UA for the stone sorcerer, could be interesting too.

Arkhios
2017-03-31, 02:21 AM
That bard idea is pretty good.

The why needs a little work, but this reminds me somewhat of a Finnish folk-hero called Väinämöinen. He sang his enemies into marshes (read drowned).

College of Lore would fit amazingly for the concept of Väinämöinen (if you chose to pursue that further). Especially with the Cutting Words at 3rd level forward. Plus, if you get beyond 16th level in the campaign (I'm not sure if it's probable, as I haven't played it because of reasons), Additional Magical Secrets at 6th Lore Bard level would be a sound match with your already variable collection of spells as a Tomelock.

A Lore bard could just as well be a story teller instead of a traveling musician. Yes, from your multiclass, you gain proficiency with one (1!) instrument, but that's really, in my honest opinion, just for fluff. You don't need to be proficient with an instrument to use one as a spellcasting focus, for example. For a Warlock with a focus on learning everything there is to learn about magic, becoming a Lore bard would in my opinion be quite reasonable for organic character growth.

As a bonus, for reasons you and I know, the kobold's skull you have could be worked to become a Kantele (Finnish zither), by drawing strings between the teeth... I'm sure you get the reference! And work as both your Bardic Spellcasting focus and as your Arcane Spellcasting Focus.

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-03-31, 02:25 AM
Well, it all depends on what you want from the character*.

Warlock works well with other Charisma casters. Paladin gives you a sweet Nova option. Bard is free magic. Sorcerer metamagic is wicked on a Warlock. If you instead wanted more combat applications, Fighter is never a bad choice. And Rogue-Swashbuckler is so good it hurts.

That being said, what's your character like? In the RP department, I mean?

*Why you have more damaging cantrips than EB is beyond me.

Khutef
2017-03-31, 04:44 AM
College of Lore would fit amazingly for the concept of Väinämöinen (if you chose to pursue that further). Especially with the Cutting Words at 3rd level forward. Plus, if you get beyond 16th level in the campaign (I'm not sure if it's probable, as I haven't played it because of reasons), Additional Magical Secrets at 6th Lore Bard level would be a sound match with your already variable collection of spells as a Tomelock.

A Lore bard could just as well be a story teller instead of a traveling musician. Yes, from your multiclass, you gain proficiency with one (1!) instrument, but that's really, in my honest opinion, just for fluff. You don't need to be proficient with an instrument to use one as a spellcasting focus, for example. For a Warlock with a focus on learning everything there is to learn about magic, becoming a Lore bard would in my opinion be quite reasonable for organic character growth.

As a bonus, for reasons you and I know, the kobold's skull you have could be worked to become a Kantele (Finnish zither), by drawing strings between the teeth... I'm sure you get the reference! And work as both your Bardic Spellcasting focus and as your Arcane Spellcasting Focus.

Otherwise good pointers but the skull isn't anymore from a kobold. I upgraded it to a half-dragon version :)

Arkhios
2017-03-31, 04:52 AM
Otherwise good pointers but the skull isn't anymore from a kobold. I upgraded it to a half-dragon version :)

Better yet! Considering how dragon is translated in Finnish ("salmonsnake" XD) and that salmon is closely related with pike.

Khutef
2017-03-31, 05:10 AM
Well, it all depends on what you want from the character*.

Warlock works well with other Charisma casters. Paladin gives you a sweet Nova option. Bard is free magic. Sorcerer metamagic is wicked on a Warlock. If you instead wanted more combat applications, Fighter is never a bad choice. And Rogue-Swashbuckler is so good it hurts.

That being said, what's your character like? In the RP department, I mean?

*Why you have more damaging cantrips than EB is beyond me.

Can my character multiclass to Paladin or Fighter with those stats? I'm AFB so that's why I ask.

Damage cantrips other than EB are because of damage types and secondary effects/targets.

RP stuff:
Was almost killed by a white dragon who killed his whole extended family and now hates all dragons. His patron "paid" Death so that he wouldn't die so easily.
Character doesn't know any more about his patron.
The incident with the dragon broke his left shoulder so his arm is crippled (RP flavour for having str 7)
Very indifferent about the lives of other people if they are in the way of his vendetta.
Pragmatic and true to his word even if it could kill him.
He is sort of the party face despite carrying a lot of death related imagery (skulls, large tome with small bones stiched to the back, trophies of cretures killed)
Also has a habit of severing the head of any and all draconic corpses and arranging them on the ground as ornaments.
He is a scholar of dragons to find their weaknesses.

Joe the Rat
2017-03-31, 08:42 AM
Can my character multiclass to Paladin or Fighter with those stats? I'm AFB so that's why I ask.
You'd Need STR 13 for Paladin, and STR or DEX 13 for Fighter.

Bard would bring a lot of handy boosts, and fits very well with the scholarly/info-gathering bent of the character.