PDA

View Full Version : Optimization My "Talk Softly and Carry a Big Stick" Build

RickAsWritten
2017-03-30, 09:45 AM
Ok, so I've been putzing around with a character concept that that I think should be fun to play.

Name: Briar Patch on the Leeward Hillside Where the Weasel Burrow Is(Briar for short)
Race: Firbolg
Class: (Grass)Land Druid x/Open Hand Monk x
Class Progression:
Druid 1-5
Monk 1-5
After that I'm not sure. Maybe Druid to 12, Monk to 8?

Adventurer's League
Point Buy
Initial Stats:
Str: 9 Dex: 15 Con: 15 Int: 8 Wis: 17 Cha: 8

The goal of the class is to run around with a Shillelagh and Haste, and smack stuff with me giant stick(meant to type "my giant stick," but I like this better). My AC will be a little bit sub-par, but as long as I max out Wis and Dex for Unarmored, I should be alright. I'll probably take Resilient-Con at some point, but the rest of the ASI's will go to pumping Wis/Dex. I'm not a numbers guy, so I don't know how viable he's gonna be pure damage wise, but I should have enough utility with Druid control-type spells, utility Wild Shapes, and Monk shenanigans. The Ki powered abilities should help with mobility and not getting hit as often, as i will be somewhat glass cannon-y(glass thorny? glass vine-y? My clever bone is busted this morning).

How I envision an encounter going:
1st Rd: Pop Haste and Shillelagh
Rds 2-9:Smack stuff or back off and drop a control spell, repeatedly smack stuff
Rd 10: Firbolg Hidden Step, Disengage, Wild Shape into a badger, Burrow underground and wait out the penalty round or if burrow isn't possible, some other small, inconsequential and stealthy animal.

I think that should work, and be a good time to play. Role playing wise, it's AL so it doesn't matter much, but in a RP heavy game I'd justify it by saying that he was a protector of his savanna homeland, it has some threat to it that makes him travel to the civilized world, he becomes addicted to the pleasures of civilization(aka., cocaine), and joins a monastery to get clean/find a way to experience the thrill of the high in a natural way. He'd be soft spoken and somewhat whimsical; drawing on the Fey connections of his background.

My question is: Once I hit Monk 5 for the Second Attack, where do I go from there? Right now, as I stated, I'm leaning towards Druid 12/Monk 8(6th level spells and Evasion), but also have considered Druid 15/ Monk 5(8th level spells) and Druid 6/ Monk 14(Diamond Soul).

sir_argo
2017-03-30, 09:49 AM
1st Rd: Pop Haste and Shillelagh

I don't claim to be a rules expert, but I'm under the impression that if you cast a spell with a bonus action (Shillelagh), you can only cast a cantrip with your action [PHB 202]. Is there a Firbolg ability or some other rule that would allow you to cast both spells in one round?

nickl_2000
2017-03-30, 09:52 AM
I don't claim to be a rules expert, but I'm under the impression that if you cast a spell with a bonus action (Shillelagh), you can only cast a cantrip with your action [PHB 202]. Is there a Firbolg ability or some other rule that would allow you to cast both spells in one round?

This is correct

PHB 202

Bonus Action
A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

RickAsWritten
2017-03-30, 10:03 AM
This is correct

PHB 202

Bonus Action
A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

Ah, ok. I thought that, since Shillelagh was a cantrip I could do that, but oh well. It doesn't ruin things. I can just Thorn Whip or melee or something. Then Haste next round.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-30, 01:38 PM
You can cast haste as a action then as a bonus action cast sheleighle. It's in the order of what you cast and when. If a you cast a 1-9 lv spell as your action after that goes off you can cast a cantrip as a bounes action if it has a casting time of bounes action. But if you cast anything as a bonus action you can't cast anything but a cantrip as a action. That's how I understand it. If I'm worng show us the page number plz and thx.

LeonBH
2017-03-30, 02:16 PM
You can cast haste as a action then as a bonus action cast sheleighle. It's in the order of what you cast and when. If a you cast a 1-9 lv spell as your action after that goes off you can cast a cantrip as a bounes action if it has a casting time of bounes action. But if you cast anything as a bonus action you can't cast anything but a cantrip as a action. That's how I understand it. If I'm worng show us the page number plz and thx.

The page number that nickl_2000 has cited mentions the rule. In that rule, it doesn't mention the order. If you cast as an action a spell, and a bonus action cantrip after that, then you've violated the rule regardless.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-30, 05:39 PM
Umm ok I well my hole group of DMs have been doing it wrong ok. I was wrong thx.

dejarnjc
2017-03-30, 06:26 PM
Umm ok I well my hole group of DMs have been doing it wrong ok. I was wrong thx.

Eh I wouldn't even bother changing how you've been doing. There's almost a 0% chance of this affecting game balance.