PDA

View Full Version : Kar-Tur fiend warlock, What fiends are in Kar-Tur?

BladeWing81
2017-03-30, 11:16 AM
I created an AL fiend warlock with the far traveler background and wanted to set her in kara-tur, so I wanted to know if it's valid to maybe a japanese spirit like a yuki onna (snow lady), an Oni or a yokai or any other type of Japanese folklore monster/creature/demon for my fiend pact. and would that be legal for AL?

for the record, My character story was that she got lost in a mountain and was force to make a pact to spare her life that she can't reveal to anyone about a secret she now knows about the yuki onna (par for the core for most Japanese ghost stories).

Naanomi
2017-03-30, 11:25 AM
Same plane, same cosmology, just different window dressing. Since generally patrons don't have 'monster manual' style stats; just choose what you like and go with it. I know you said fiend, but I find Shinto/Taoist folklore spirits tend to map well to Archfey; and one could always look to Oni, Raksasha, and Naga for inspiration.

Many of the traditional 'ghost' varieties would be passable undying patrons as well

BladeWing81
2017-03-30, 03:33 PM
Same plane, same cosmology, just different window dressing. Since generally patrons don't have 'monster manual' style stats; just choose what you like and go with it. I know you said fiend, but I find Shinto/Taoist folklore spirits tend to map well to Archfey; and one could always look to Oni, Raksasha, and Naga for inspiration.

Many of the traditional 'ghost' varieties would be passable undying patrons as well

Mechanically I want to take on the fiend patron, for the options that it offers. I mainly want to know if this is Adventure league legal or do I need to take one of the deities or demons from the pantheon list from the PHB or the monster manual?

Naanomi
2017-03-30, 04:32 PM
Mechanically I want to take on the fiend patron, for the options that it offers. I mainly want to know if this is Adventure league legal or do I need to take one of the deities or demons from the pantheon list from the PHB or the monster manual?
Clerics taking oddball deities is a grey area, but your Patron is much less defined and (since it will almost certainly never come up in an AL game formally) can be whatever you like

Spore
2017-03-30, 04:39 PM
I'd take a particularly brutal Oni and if anyone asks, just present them the Balor stats.

JackOfAllBuilds
2017-03-31, 02:42 AM
How about a Night Hag (Fiend) named Yubaba? :tongue:

Arkhios
2017-03-31, 03:22 AM
Fiends are the same no matter where you come from. They might have different names by different people, but effectively they are the same entities as anywhere else.

Joe the Rat
2017-03-31, 07:46 AM
I particularly like Rakshasa-types for fiend patrons, but I'm sort of in the mindset that they make good deal-makers. Pretty much any evil spirit has potential as a fiend

Silfazaris
2017-04-03, 06:30 AM
Completely valid from my point of view. You don't need the stats of an Oni, Kuchisake-Onna or whatever monster of the japanese folklore.
The background seems nice, just make it. If you happen to fight against your patron in a far future, let the DM deal with it, and it's not difficult. Like someone said, convert the Balor into that spirit, simple like that.

BladeWing81
2017-04-03, 09:37 AM
Completely valid from my point of view. You don't need the stats of an Oni, Kuchisake-Onna or whatever monster of the japanese folklore.
The background seems nice, just make it. If you happen to fight against your patron in a far future, let the DM deal with it, and it's not difficult. Like someone said, convert the Balor into that spirit, simple like that.

I was told while entering the game that it had to be a demon from either the PBH out of the abyss or Scag. So we made a compromise, we made a change from an actual yuki Onna to the Demon Fraz-Urb'luu prince of deception who enjoys tormenting mortals by tricking them.

Under the guise of the yuki-Onna the Demon created an unwilling pact with my character or let her die in the mountain. knowing the shame of what that would cause her. we also made some adjustments to the far traveler by adding some different bonds and flaws from the haunted one background, we even added some cold burn scars to my characters arms symbolizing the pact.

Not what I wanted but this created an adventure hook to play in OotA.
Any thought on this would be appreciated?

GM_3826
2017-04-03, 10:47 AM
Not exactly familiar with Forgotten Realms lore, but I find it perfectly plausible that demons could be seen as "oni" in Kara-Tur, since they're a cultural equivalent. It's another name for the same thing, essentially. (Although a bit odd considering the fact that Wizards actually admits that "ogre magi" are just oni, now.)

Silfazaris
2017-04-03, 08:43 PM
I was told while entering the game that it had to be a demon from either the PBH out of the abyss or Scag. So we made a compromise, we made a change from an actual yuki Onna to the Demon Fraz-Urb'luu prince of deception who enjoys tormenting mortals by tricking them.

Under the guise of the yuki-Onna the Demon created an unwilling pact with my character or let her die in the mountain. knowing the shame of what that would cause her. we also made some adjustments to the far traveler by adding some different bonds and flaws from the haunted one background, we even added some cold burn scars to my characters arms symbolizing the pact.

Not what I wanted but this created an adventure hook to play in OotA.
Any thought on this would be appreciated?

Out of the Abyss is an entire module. A DM can adapt it to run a few chapters only of course, but what was the intent of the DM from the beginning? Dming another module? This is his jurisdiction, not yours. If he's comfortable with DMing OotA tell him that. He could make a homebrew adventure until level 8 and then start Out of the Abyss from chapter 8, seems nice to me. Or even starting OotA from chapter 1.

Anyway, the idea of uncle Fraz is nice and very solid, but as a japanese/chinese-like character I'd prefer to have a pact with a true "asian" demon instead of a demon lord tricking me. Unfortunately my knowledge about Kara-Tur is close to nothing.

BladeWing81
2017-04-04, 09:16 AM
Out of the Abyss is an entire module. A DM can adapt it to run a few chapters only of course, but what was the intent of the DM from the beginning? Dming another module? This is his jurisdiction, not yours. If he's comfortable with DMing OotA tell him that. He could make a homebrew adventure until level 8 and then start Out of the Abyss from chapter 8, seems nice to me. Or even starting OotA from chapter 1.

Anyway, the idea of uncle Fraz is nice and very solid, but as a japanese/chinese-like character I'd prefer to have a pact with a true "asian" demon instead of a demon lord tricking me. Unfortunately my knowledge about Kara-Tur is close to nothing.

my knowledge is close to nill as well, and I would like to use an asian Demon as well but I don't know of any in Kara-tur. my DM had started OotA a few sessions ago before I had joined so we made those changes under his request to create the adventure hook for my character.

Silfazaris
2017-04-04, 12:25 PM
my knowledge is close to nill as well, and I would like to use an asian Demon as well but I don't know of any in Kara-tur. my DM had started OotA a few sessions ago before I had joined so we made those changes under his request to create the adventure hook for my character.

Stick with that then. OotA is very fun and I love "asian" characters

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-04-05, 05:55 AM
Hm.. If your DM hadn't already proposed a solution, I would have suggested making a deal with an evil 'kitsune' which was an Arcanaloth.

But I suppose using an actual Demon Lord is more dramatic.

BladeWing81
2017-04-05, 11:50 AM
Hm.. If your DM hadn't already proposed a solution, I would have suggested making a deal with an evil 'kitsune' which was an Arcanaloth.

But I suppose using an actual Demon Lord is more dramatic.

I like that! the story how it is now, makes sense for OotA but your version makes my character make sense.