PDA

View Full Version : DND 3.5 Psion short list of powers (a.k.a. every Psion should have...)

Rerednaw
2017-03-30, 11:47 AM
Working on some builds and trying to come up with a short list.
Read a few guides as well.

Of course picks will vary by campaign, concept, discipline choice (only so many feats for Expanded Knowledge).

What do you consider must have powers?

General (not discipline specific):
For defense: Inertial Armor, Energy Adaption-Specified, Freedom
Offense: Mind Thrust, Amethyst Burst
Utility: Time Hop, TK, D. Door, Psych. Reform. Over Flight. True Seeing
Special: Bestow Power (only with ESense, EPower, Mid Augment)

Discipline:
Ego: Metamorph
Kin: Energy Missile
Shap: Astral Construct
TP: Dominate, Schism

Thanks!

Manyasone
2017-03-30, 05:50 PM
For offense, I actually prefer the humble 'energy ray' over mind thrust

SaintNick
2017-03-30, 07:29 PM
I'd include the following:
Dispel Psionics, assuming Magic/Psionic Transparency is in play
Detect Hostile Intent
Share Pain + Vigor
Contingency, Psionic
Temporal Acceleration
Mind Blank, Personal
Teleport, Psionic Greater
Touchsight and/or True Seeing, Psionic

Red Fel
2017-03-30, 08:53 PM
This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10238.0) is my go-to handbook for Psions, generally. If you scroll down, the ninth post (Reply #8 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=j4tcukd8pklir7h2nf0oae4ia5&topic=10238.msg345817#msg345817)) is titled "Developing a Solid Repertoire of Offensive Powers" and includes a pretty detailed list of your must-have powers and the situations in which they'll be useful.

Or, I could just be awesome and post a quote, like so:

Filling out our list of bases to cover, here is what we get:
Ranged attack roll: Crystalstorm (Psion 2), Disintegrate, Psionic (Psion 6)
Melee attack roll: Astral Construct (Shaper 1)
Targets Fortitude Save: Disintegrate, Psionic (Psion 6), Energy Wall (Psion 3)
Targets Reflex Save: Energy Wall (Psion 3), Amethyst Burst (Psion 2)
Targets Will Save: Time Hop (Psion 3)
Allows no Save: Crystalstorm (Psion 2)*
Not Subject to Spell Resistance or Power Resistance (SR/PR): Crystalstorm (Psion 2), Energy Wall (Psion 3), Amethyst Burst (Psion 2)
Area of Effect (particularly for fighting Swarms): Energy Wall (Psion 3), Astral Construct (Shaper 1)**, Amethyst Burst (Psion 2)
Force Effect (for fighting Incorporeal/Ethereal creatures): Amethyst Burst (Psion 2), Astral Construct (Shaper 1)**
Effective against Anti Magic Field/Null Psionics Field: Crystalstorm (Psion 2), Amethyst Burst (Psion 2)
Effective against Globe of Invulnerability: Disintegrate, Psionic (Psion 6)
* Crystalstorm allows no save against HP damage, but does against Con damage component of power.
** Only at high levels.

That’s one first-level power, two second-level powers, two third-level powers, and one sixth-level power. A total of six, leaving you 30 others to play around with. For most of these categories, you have multiple effects that can be brought to bear. Not bad at all!
Boom.

The thread also lists various powers in the various disciplines, along with whether they're particularly useful or not. Really great resource.

ben-zayb
2017-03-30, 09:21 PM
Seconding Red Fel's link/suggestion.

But if I really have to narrow it down to just one power, it would have to be Psychic Reformation. You just can't go wrong with that power. Oh, you want X power instead of it? Then just reform it to that.

danielxcutter
2017-03-31, 05:42 AM
Vigor is great whether you're a full manifester, a gish, or even a Psychic Warrior. It gets crazy fast when used with Share Pain and a Psicrystal, but even without it it's still a nice power to have, especially at the lower levels.