PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next PC Race - Satyr

solidork
2017-03-30, 01:09 PM
Just the crunch for now. This is a substantially more innately magical take on the Satyr than most other versions I've seen. I wanted to really execute on the magical music concept.

Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.

Type: Fey. If you cast a spell or use a class ability that would affect Fey creatures but not Humanoid creatures, you may choose to exclude yourself from the effects of that spell or ability.

Size: Medium

Movement: You have a base walking speed of 35 feet.

Unwavering Spirit: You have advantage on saving throws against being Frightened or Charmed.

Musical Aptitude: You are proficient in a musical instrument of your choice.

Spell Focus Aptitude: You may use a musical instrument you are proficient with as a spellcasting focus for any spells you cast.

Subtle Magic: When you cast a spell, you can use handling a musical instrument you are capable of using as a spellcasting focus to replace any verbal or somatic components for that spell. After you use this ability, you can't use it again until you complete a long rest.

Fey Magic: You know the Druidcraft cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Charm Person spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so after a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Suggestion spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so after a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Notes:
-Would +1 Cha, +1 Dex and then +1 to any stat (including Cha or Dex) be reasonable?
-Unwavering Spirit started out as Gnomish Cunning, but I felt that was a little too good.
-I went with Druidcraft as the cantrip because the fey are connected to nature, but it makes Subtle Magic a little vestigial until you get to 3rd level if you aren't a spellcaster.
-I have ideas for some additional ribbons, like double prof to playing music or History checks to recall songs but I'm not sure they're necessary.
-Maybe I should just give straight up subtle spell once per day. It's not as flavorful, but the whole point is that they don't know you're casting, so having to play music kinda gives it away if they know anything about satyrs.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-30, 01:26 PM
Was my satyr (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2016/11/satyr.html) one of the ones that wasn't magical enough for you? :smallfrown: In my defense, I've written a whole slew of fey races, many with lots of magic, and I wanted satyrs to feel more relatable and human than the others.

Overall, I'd say this looks pretty good. The feature names aren't to my taste, but the crunch seems fairly balanced. :smallsmile:

Notes:
-Would +1 Cha, +1 Dex and then +1 to any stat (including Cha or Dex) be reasonable?
-Unwavering Spirit started out as Gnomish Cunning, but I felt that was a little too good.
-I went with Druidcraft as the cantrip because the fey are connected to nature, but it makes Subtle Magic a little vestigial until you get to 3rd level if you aren't a spellcaster.
-I have ideas for some additional ribbons, like double prof to playing music or History checks to recall songs but I'm not sure they're necessary.
-Maybe I should just give straight up subtle spell once per day. It's not as flavorful, but the whole point is that they don't know you're casting, so having to play music kinda gives it away if they know anything about satyrs.

Yes, that'd be fine. What you have already is also fine. It's a matter of taste.
I agree, Gnomish Cunning would have been too much.
Eh, 8 out of 12 base classes have spellcasting. Lots of WotC-designed races have features that can be made redundant by class choice, so I don't think that's a problem.
I'd keep ribbons to a few carefully-selected ones rather than throwing in the kitchen sink. That said, something about remembering songs would probably be cooler than Spell Focus Aptitude, which is pretty lame in my opinion.
I'm a fan of keeping it simple. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of stepping on sorcerers' toes - they have a narrow enough niche as it is... I'd say this one's your call.

solidork
2017-03-30, 04:07 PM
I hadn't actually seen yours, somehow! Or I did and then forgot? We clearly think very similarly. I 100% agree about the names, I could do a lot better.

Getting to use an instrument as a spellcasting focus isn't super exciting, but it does mean that you don't have to carry around the material components for your innate spells. I'm personally fine handwaving stuff like non-valuable/non-consumed material components, but at the same time I appreciate it if something lets me justify said handwaving.