PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Waves crashing around me, the sand slips out to sea...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-27, 04:23 PM
Landwave

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7376/2321/400/jacek_yerka_14.jpg

Huge Elemental (water)
Hit Dice: 8d8+56 HD (92 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), swim 80 ft.
Armor Class: 23 (+3 dex, +12 natural, -2 size), touch 11, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+22
Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d10+12)
Full Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d10+12)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Crash, drench, mud, pounding surf, soak
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/-, elemental traits, resistance to piercing and slashing 10, tremorsense 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 16, Con 25, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills: Listen +12
Feats: Improved Bull-Rush, Improved Sunder(B), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (slam)
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 9-16 HD (Huge), 17-35 HD (Gargantuan), 36+ HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: -

No one is quite certain why landwaves come to be, though many have seen them after great tsunamis have crashed onto shore. It is speculated that the massive rise of water shatters itself onto the land, meshing the intense elemental energies that produced the wave with those of the demolished land. Together they produce elementals that manage to sustain themselves upon land.
Peculiarly, they seem to have little interest in returning to the waters, delighting in continuously smashing themselves against obstacles and soaking all they can with their substance. Some that have survived have said that they were much as destructive children, and those that speak Aquan hear their speech as continuous amused ramblings.

A landwave appears as a great, scintilating wave of deep, jeweled blue fringed with froth that rises and dashes itself down in continuous arching dives. Mud often spatters amongst their surface for a brief time before rolling off like water from a duck's back.

Landwaves can arch up to 30 feet and weighs somewhere around 20,000 lbs. It speaks Aquan and Terran.

Combat
A landwave is innocently destructive, and has no other strategy than to crash down with destructive force upon whatever interests it. It particularly hates fire and will slam down upon a source of it, or any that wield it, and sit there upon it until the entire area is waterlogged.

Crash (Ex): A landwave may make an attack at the end of its move by crashing down with particular violence upon any creature that occupies the squares it wishes to end its move in. The landwave may treat this a bull-rush attempt, a sunder attack, or a standard attack, dealing its slam damage.

Creatures within 10 feet of a landwave that chooses to crash at the end of its move must also succeed on a DC 21 reflex save or fall prone as the ground shudders violently. The save DC is Strength-based.

Drench (Ex): A landwave's touch puts out torches, campfires, exposed lanterns, and other open flames of nonmagical origin if these are of Large size or smaller. The creature can dispel magical fire it touches as dispel magic (caster level 8th).

Mud (Ex): A landwave that remains without moving for 6 rounds automatically affects all squares it occupies, and those adjoining them, as the Soften Earth and Stone spell. This is normal mud and unlike the spell lasts for as long as it would normally take thick mud to dry, depending on the weather and terrain.

Pounding Surf (Ex): A landwave gains a +8 bonus on any Strength checks it makes to break down doors or break inanimate, immobile objects.

Soak (Ex): A landwave may move through dirt, stone or almost any other sort of earth at half its base speed by being absorbed by the material or slipping through the innumberable cracks and crevices. This leaves behind no tunnel or hole, though it does soften the earth to the consistency of clay for 1 minute after its passing.

Matthew
2007-07-31, 08:01 PM
This is mind boggling. I really like the idea, but I have this vision of a Mounted Knight laying the Smack Down on this thing with a Lance and I'm not sure how I would describe that working as a DM. Any suggestions?

DracoDei
2007-07-31, 08:06 PM
Same as with a water elemental? (whatever that is)

VT stats out another peice of terrain/natural phenominon... fun.

jindra34
2007-07-31, 08:08 PM
Same as with a water elemental? (whatever that is)

VT stats out another peice of terrain/natural phenominon... fun.

In VT's world the terrain is now officially your worst enemy.

DracoDei
2007-07-31, 08:19 PM
What do you mean "Now"? That probably been true for a while...
In any case you may have a point... perhaps he should do some friendly terrain embodiments (Or maybe he has and I have forgotten).

Demented
2007-07-31, 08:28 PM
This is mind boggling. I really like the idea, but I have this vision of a Mounted Knight laying the Smack Down on this thing with a Lance and I'm not sure how I would describe that working as a DM. Any suggestions?

The cohesion of the water is sensitive to disruption by sharp implements? "Oh dear me, you've pierced my surface tension and now I'm pouring water everywhere!"

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-31, 08:28 PM
Heh, every time I do a 'nice' creature people say, 'Whats the good in it? Why would anyone ever want to attack it?'

Because, y'know, creatures only exist to be killed.... or carry things.

DracoDei
2007-07-31, 08:56 PM
Because it makes the setting feel more ALIVE (morons and powergamers the lot of them! :smallyuk: ). Ok, now that I have that out of my system... this thing could ALMOST be negotiated with if one spoke Aquan... although throwing a Foxes Cunning on it first couldn't hurt... find it a nice peice of mountain place were it can smash up rocks to its hearts content... a more adventuring use of it would be a Cleric with the water domain Commanding it and then using it for civic tasks (including forest clearing, soil tilling, canal digging and other such 'destructive' tasks) or even going adventuring with it...

Matthew
2007-08-01, 08:35 PM
The cohesion of the water is sensitive to disruption by sharp implements? "Oh dear me, you've pierced my surface tension and now I'm pouring water everywhere!"

Heh, I never thought of this Monster as having a British accent, but I think I will from now on...

Peregrine
2007-08-03, 12:04 AM
Resistance to bludgeoning? I would have thought that bludgeoning would be the most effective damage type... slashing and piercing weapons are streamlined, they would slip into and out of the creature with little effect. Bludgeoning weapons... go splash.

Perhaps we need some new damage types... scooping, siphoning, and absorbing? :smalltongue:

DracoDei
2007-08-03, 11:10 AM
I now have this image of a mighty half-orc Barbarian charging with a mop with a greatly oversized head and a metal handle...
Or "har-spoons" that do scooping damage (actually I came up with that a long time ago as a joke on a way to hunt jellyfish)