PDA

View Full Version : The Adventures of Habius Feldspark (IC)

Skitterbug
2017-03-30, 06:32 PM
You arrive in the city of Lifton in the kingdom of Zamp. You've come here on rumors about a mysterious artifact that fell from the sky and landed on a nearby mountain. You've heard tell that the item that fell might be a weapon of some kind, and its giving off a weird magical aura. Possibly something you might want to research being a wizard. There's also a town to the south of Lifton with a rather impressive mage guild so if all else fails you could still swing by there.

In other news the prince to Zamp is still missing and the reward for his safe return is 875,000 gold pieces. The prince went missing a few months ago and still no leads. While the ruling king does have other sons, the missing prince is next in line of succession. Even information pertaining to the whereabouts of the prince could pay a hefty reward.

To the west of Lifton lies the forest of Melkret. A massive plot of land, the forest is so large it could count as its own country. In fact in the past disputes and wars have broken out over the sovereignty of Melkret. The elf tribes inhabiting the woods claim to be a separate nation from Zamp. However due to the location and fact wanted bandits have been know to hide out in Melkret the Zamp government refuses to acknowledge it as its own independent country.

You're currently standing in the Gnomish Boot Inn. Gnomes and halflings are rare in these parts, but luckily you've heard talk of a tavern run by a gnome. The bar is pretty full. Not really any noteworthy people. Although there is a rather large man wearing very shiny chainmail (possibly mithril) with enormous biceps and a huge battle axe strapped to his back. You also notice a rugged, hairy many wearing only ragged cloth sitting in the corner. There also appears to be a group of armored men all carrying crossbows (along with other weapons). There's a male elf singing to the amusement of the patrons.

Darius
2017-03-30, 10:59 PM
Habius moves through the crowd and carefully "lifts" a patron of his coin purse along the way.

[roll0]

The gnome will empty its contents and use it to purchase drinks for the men-at-arms as well as the rugged warrior types. Once the serving wench delivers the drinks, Habius will raise his tankard at the men in hopes of attracting their attention. Once he gets it, Habius will approach and smile along the way. "Greetings and well-met sirs. I am called Habius, and I am seeking strong arms and brave warriors to help me with my quest to locate the prince and collect the reward. Though, there may not be a one man as strong as you, many men united are surely stronger. Let us combine our efforts and split the reward, shall we?"

Skitterbug
2017-03-30, 11:26 PM
You manage to steal 42 gold. The ale costs you 20 gold. After you speech most of the patrons return to their own business as if your talk had no effect on them. The hairy man in rags hands his ale to you and says "My honor will not allow me to accept this." Then he walks away. A man with a spear though still continues to glance at you.

The large man in the shiny armor approaches you. "Hey halfling. You a thief?"

Darius
2017-03-31, 06:42 AM
When the hairy man approaches, Habius smiles and says, "Then your meal shall be paid for, sir." Habius indicates to the innkeep as such by showing the purse and pointing at the man and doling out a gold.

Making sure there was an open area for him to jaunt to in the event that this situation turned violent, Habius squares up to the large man and says, "I know that you are not talking to me, for I am not a halfling. This very establishment is named after my industrious race. Though I realize that it is difficult for big folk to tell other races apart, it would be akin to me asking if you are an orc or elf, you see. A proper means of introduction would be to say something to the effect of, "Thank you, sir, for the drink. My name is...and to what do I owe this honor?" See? By doing so, one does not insult another by calling a stranger thief." Habius smiles. "To answer your query, I am an adventurer who specializes in the finding of lost things - like the prince. It is a good thing for you that I am slow to offend and I think that this lesson in etiquette is all that is necessary. Would you care to join me in at least a meal and mead and perhaps my quest to locate the prince?"

Skitterbug
2017-03-31, 03:16 PM
The Hairy man says "No. You do not understand. I am on a quest of redemption and am forbidden to accept such generosities." He place the stein on a nearby table and walks away.

The other "gentleman" in the chainmail responds to your comments. "I didn't ask for you life story tiny man." A tone of impatience radiating from his voice indicating he is not one for long talk.

"I just need someone sneaky. I wanna get my hands on that weapon that fell from the sky, but the local guard has the perimeter surrounding it blocked. You can get me in there I'll pay you 5,000 gold."

Darius
2017-03-31, 06:42 PM
Inwardly relieved that the warrior did not catch him picking the patron's pocket, Habius replies, "I can certainly help you. This is what I do best. However, I would require a payment of half now and half after we succeed. Come, let's go prepare. My name is Habius. What should I call you?"

Skitterbug
2017-04-01, 03:12 PM
"No.No. No." The man responds. "I pay you 2,500 now you could just run off with it. I'll pay you the full amount after I get my hands on the weapon."

You also notice the man with the spear still glancing at you.

Darius
2017-04-01, 03:32 PM
"No.No. No." The man responds. "I pay you 2,500 now you could just run off with it. I'll pay you the full amount after I get my hands on the weapon."

You also notice the man with the spear still glancing at you.

"I would say the same about your claim - you could just run off with the weapon. And - you haven't even told me your name. This is not a good beginning of a business relationship." Habius begins to leave the establishment. "Perhaps I will simply take the weapon for myself."

Skitterbug
2017-04-03, 09:41 PM
"You want to take the weapon? Go ahead! That just means I got to kill one little gnome rather than speak past the entire town guard. And I've take down beast 10 times your size!

"Trust me! I'm good for the money!" He gestures to his large pack. You hear the sound of coins jingling. He places it on a table with a loud thud. "Just get me into the perimeter past the guards and all this is yours. I'll even throw in an extra 500."

As the man talks, you can notice the man with the spear inching his way closer to you but still making sure a table to two stands between you and him.

Darius
2017-04-03, 10:34 PM
"Listen, what you do in your free time is your business. If my taking this weapon is going to cause you to murder some innocent gnome like the innkeep, then I will have to leave it alone. But I will take that extra 500 gold. I would be more willing to trust you if you gave me a name to call you by - it doesn't even have to be real; it just should be something for me to call you." Habius motions with his eyes and head towards the man with the spear. He says to the warrior quietly, "Is the fellow with the spear a friend of yours?"

Habius continues to talk, "Perhaps we should get out of here and get started on our adventure?"

Skitterbug
2017-04-05, 01:32 AM
"You can just call me 'Rock'. I don't give out my real name to such business acquaintances. I'm fine with taking this conversation else where. As for the spear guy I don't know him." The man says.

As you prepare to leave the man with the spear intercepts you. "Perhaps I can repay your kindness for the beer you bought for me. I'd love to buy the gnome a beer or two and we can talk of this missing prince and other topics. If not maybe I'll swing by the town guard and inform them of how you got the money for these drinks."

Darius
2017-04-05, 09:29 PM
Habius does his best to not roll his eyes at the Rock. "Very well, Rock, pleased to meet you. Yes, let's discuss our business venture outsi..." The gnome stops to listen to the spearman. He addresses the man with the spear with as much genuine shock that he can muster, "No need to repay me, sir. Feel free to talk to whomever you would like, but I know not that which you speak other than, yes, the prince is missing. I, too, would like to find him. The problem is that Rock and I have some business to attend to at the moment, and you are preventing us from taking care of that business. I kindly ask to extend the invitation for a time in the short future after we conclude our business."

[roll0]

Darius
2017-04-08, 08:58 AM
Habius stands and smiles as he waits for a response.

Skitterbug
2017-04-08, 11:36 PM
"Very well. Do as you please. Though some words of advice my friend. Always choose your acquaintances carefully." The man with the spear says and walks off.

You and the other man leave the bar. He says to you "Alright. I've been doing some scouting and have a good idea of the guards shifts and rotations. Three days from now at night there should be a slight vulnerable spot in the patrols. I say slight in that there will still be guards to deal with but they won't be able to call for reinforcements at that spot. It's from the spot by a large cave opening. I suggest you scout the area. We meet back up at this bar three days from now at sunset. Until I'm not sure how much time we should spend together."

Darius
2017-04-10, 07:42 PM
"Got it, Rock. See you then. I'm going to so some scouting." The gnome then ventures off in the opposite direction and around the corner of the building out of the sightline of Rock. He then [roll0] and [roll1] as he tails Rock to see where he goes. He will then spy on the brute.

Skitterbug
2017-04-11, 06:29 PM
You follow Rock for about an hour. He heads to a market and buys a turkey leg from a vendor. After eating it he chucks the bone at a homeless person and chuckles lightly at the bum's misfortune. He then spends about ten minutes haggling with another merchant for a danger with a golden hilt. Eventually he gets tired of haggling and leaves. He then goes to a brothel. All this time following him he doesn't seem to notice you.

As you stand outside the brothel a large orc approaches you and taps you on the shoulder from behind. The orc has mutton chops, a comb over, and large sack that's filled with something. The orc says "Hello tiny child. Would you like to buy some candy? It's real good!"

Darius
2017-04-11, 10:19 PM
"Perhaps." The gnome turns to look behind him to ensure he is not a mark and is being waylaid. "How much?"

Skitterbug
2017-04-12, 04:59 PM
"Well what kind do you want little boy?" the orc says probably unaware you are a gnome. "I have regular candy for a few copper pieces. I also have magical candy that cost a few gold pieces or more depending on the kind."

Darius
2017-04-12, 09:27 PM
"I will buy them all."

Skitterbug
2017-04-13, 03:01 PM
"'All of them'?" the orc asks. "Like the whole sack? Okay. Let me see how much that will cost..."

He stands there for a minute doing the math. You can tell he is desperately trying to do the math. "One...one thousand gold...plus 20 copper...I think."

Darius
2017-04-13, 10:44 PM
"Hmm, I don't have that kind of gold on me. I will have to say no for the moment."

Habius leaves to case the place of the weapon. If he gets close, he will hide and move silently - using his invisibility spell as needed.