PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Archetype - Divine Patron: Thunderbird (PEACH)

Crisis21
2017-03-30, 08:56 PM
This archetype is based off a couple of other homebrews. The Divine Patron that must be sought out is the Thunderbird (https://lootthebody.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/monstrous-monday-the-thunderbird/) and I'm also cribbing heavily from, and expanding a bit with new Incantations, the Otherworldly Patron: Storm Lord (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Otherworldly_Patron:_Storm_Lord_(5e_Archetype)) archetype.

Divine Patron: Thunderbird

The Thunderbird is one of the more dangerous patrons for the beginning warlock to seek out. For one, they are highly hostile to anyone who can be sensed as Evil or who performs Evil actions in their territory. For another, Thunderbirds make their home in high mountains and are followed by storms wherever they go making the journey to meet them hazardous in its own right. In addition, while they are intelligent and divine messengers who can understand most languages, they are incapable of speaking any language known to the mortal races, making the process of coming to an agreement a difficult one. Good-aligned individuals will have an easier time of reaching an agreement than Neutrally inclined people, and Evil-aligned persons are advised not to waste their time as there are more expeditious ways of committing suicide.

If an agreement is reached, the method by which the Thunderbird's power is granted is also dangerous, given that it involves being struck by lightning. If the recipient has been honest and truthful of their intentions in the agreement reached, they will be left with one hit point and a permanent burn scar where the lightning struck them and have gained the Warlock Archetype Divine Patron: Thunderbird. If they have been duplicitous or deceptive with their intentions they will instead take 14d6 Electric damage as if struck by a 9th level Lightning Bolt and if somehow not killed outright, the Thunderbird will be more than happy to finish the job.

Spell List Expansion

First Level: Feather Fall, Thunderwave
Second Level: Blindness/Deafness, Gust of Wind
Third Level: Fly, Lightning Bolt
Fourth Level: Storm Sphere, Freedom of Movement
Fifth Level: Blinding Flash, Control Winds

Storm Strike

Starting at first level, when you use this feature, when you cast a spell or make a weapon attack and it hits you can cast Thunderous Smite without expending a spell slot or being limited to melee weapon attacks. You cannot use this ability again until after a short or long rest. In addition, you know the Shocking Grasp cantrip. This cantrip counts as a Warlock cantrip for you and does not count against your cantrips known.

Storm Barrier

Starting at sixth level, when you engage in battle you can activate this ability; encasing your body in an armor of wind and electricity. When a creature makes a melee attack against you while wearing the armor; the creature must take a Constitution saving throw against your Spell Save DC. On a failed save, the target takes 2d6+CHA lightning damage or half as much on a success. If a creature attempts to grapple you, they take the full damage each round they are in direct contact with you. This ability recharges after a short or long rest and has a duration of 1 minute.

Stormkin

Starting at tenth level you become resistant to thunder and lightning damage as well as non-magical bludgeoning. You have natural armor of 10+DEX+CHA when not wearing armor.

Storm Body

Starting at fourteenth level you can cast Investiture of Wind (ee) without using a spell slot as a bonus action. In addition, you may take one additional action or bonus action for the duration. This recharges after a long rest.

New Incantations

Essence of the Storm
Prerequisite Divine Patron: Thunderbird
When you cast a Warlock spell, you may change its damage type to Lightning or Thunder.

Storm Talons
Prerequisite Pact of the Blade feature, Divine Patron: Thunderbird
Your pact weapon deals an additional 1d8 electric damage when you succeed on an attack.

Storm Arcanum
Prerequisite 11th level, Divine Patron: Thunderbird
For your Mystic Arcanum at 11th, 13th, 15th, and 17th levels, you may select a spell from the following list rather than the Warlock Spell List:
Sixth: Chain Lightning
Seventh: Whirlwind
Eighth: Control Weather
Ninth: Storm of Vengeance

Crisis21
2017-04-01, 01:53 PM
*Pokes*

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Flashy
2017-04-01, 06:24 PM
Storm Barrier is a fairly strong ability. +2 AC (which means it can be stacked with AC calculations) is already a uniquely strong boost on its own. Adding additional stat gain on top of it strikes me as unnecessary, especially since this is a level the other patrons are all granting a mid-quality 1/short rest ability. I think storm barrier should be brought in line with these other patrons.

Stormkin then makes Storm Barrier actively problematic. A thunderbird warlock can easily reach 24 AC, far higher than fighters or paladins who have specialized for AC are able to achieve. This should be 10+Dex+Cha to keep it in line with monk and barbarian features.

Storm Body is theoretically fine, but there are no swift actions in 5e (only Actions, Bonus Actions, and Reactions), and Shocking Grasp is a cantrip so it doesn't use a spell slot regardless.

There's also some cleanup that needs to happen in the wording on some of the invocations, along with some possible balance things that I'm not sure if you've thought of. I'll go through the invocations in order.

Essence of the Storm: This makes Warlock 2 a hilariously broken dip for a Tempest Cleric (or vice versa). This means that literally any spell can be maximized with the tempest cleric channel divinity.

Storm Touch: As mentioned above Shocking Grasp is a cantrip, so it never consumes a spell slot. It's an at-will ability. If you want this class to be able to use shocking grasp maybe change the first level ability to grant the warlock shocking grasp in addition to the occasional free thunderous smites?

Storm Talons: Fine as written

Divine Bolt: This doesn't work. Warlocks never gain 6th level spell slots, so they cannot use one to cast Chain Lightning. The Mystic Arcarnum isn't a spell slot, it's a 1/long rest use of one specific spell of each given level.

Divine Wind: Same problem as Divine Bolt

Control Storm: Same problem as Divine Bolt

Storm's Wrath: Same problem as Divine Bolt

Crisis21
2017-04-01, 07:05 PM
Storm Barrier is a fairly strong ability. +2 AC (which means it can be stacked with AC calculations) is already a uniquely strong boost on its own. Adding additional stat gain on top of it strikes me as unnecessary, especially since this is a level the other patrons are all granting a mid-quality 1/short rest ability. I think storm barrier should be brought in line with these other patrons.

Stormkin then makes Storm Barrier actively problematic. A thunderbird warlock can easily reach 24 AC, far higher than fighters or paladins who have specialized for AC are able to achieve. This should be 10+Dex+Cha to keep it in line with monk and barbarian features.

Storm Body is theoretically fine, but there are no swift actions in 5e (only Actions, Bonus Actions, and Reactions), and Shocking Grasp is a cantrip so it doesn't use a spell slot regardless.

There's also some cleanup that needs to happen in the wording on some of the invocations, along with some possible balance things that I'm not sure if you've thought of. I'll go through the invocations in order.

Essence of the Storm: This makes Warlock 2 a hilariously broken dip for a Tempest Cleric (or vice versa). This means that literally any spell can be maximized with the tempest cleric channel divinity.

Storm Touch: As mentioned above Shocking Grasp is a cantrip, so it never consumes a spell slot. It's an at-will ability. If you want this class to be able to use shocking grasp maybe change the first level ability to grant the warlock shocking grasp in addition to the occasional free thunderous smites?

Storm Talons: Fine as written

Divine Bolt: This doesn't work. Warlocks never gain 6th level spell slots, so they cannot use one to cast Chain Lightning. The Mystic Arcarnum isn't a spell slot, it's a 1/long rest use of one specific spell of each given level.

Divine Wind: Same problem as Divine Bolt

Control Storm: Same problem as Divine Bolt

Storm's Wrath: Same problem as Divine Bolt

Did some tweaking and rebalancing per your suggestions.

Shocking Grasp was added as a cantrip for the 1st level Thunderbird Warlock.
Storm Barrier no longer gives ASI or AC bonus, just damages someone who makes melee contact. Also made it so grappling the warlock deals the damage every round.
Stormkin rebalanced to match Monk and Barbarian.
Storm Body altered without Shocking Grasp to avoid redundancy. Instead, it allows +1 action or bonus action so please critique.

The Invocations were altered a bit.
Essence of Storm was changed to specifically affect Warlock spells cast, so a Cleric Spell Slot from multiclassing would not be eligible.
Storm Touch was deleted due to redundancy.
The four Invocations for higher level spells were folded into one invocation that simply increases the Warlock's options for Mystic Arcanum to include those spells.

Thank you for your input. :)

ravencroft0
2017-04-03, 03:24 PM
I love the concept. Current patrons could be reskinned for other supernatural or mythological entities, but The Thunderbird really is a breath of fresh air. Nice work.

Crisis21
2017-04-09, 03:59 PM
I love the concept. Current patrons could be reskinned for other supernatural or mythological entities, but The Thunderbird really is a breath of fresh air. Nice work.

Thank you! I'm a fan of the Thunderbird personally, and I would really like to see the creature get more mileage in fantasy settings.