PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Rules/Advice Please

adonis53
2017-03-30, 11:38 PM
Part 1:
Alright... my dm wants to make it so my cahulak (Dragon Magazine 319), aka rope dart, is counted as a ranged weapon for any reach farther than ten feet. I tried pointing out that spiked chains and whips are the same and they're melee too. Is there any source that goes into detail on the mechanics of reach weapons?

Part 2:
Now that that's done, what sort of magic items should I be looking for? I'm a strength based tash monk/psywar, I'm not trying to be op, but i also have no idea (other than a few like strength buff, ac, etc) what magic items i could use.

Dagroth
2017-03-31, 12:54 AM
Something that gets you more Power Points. Amulet of Mighty Fists/Necklace of Natural Attacks. Something that gets you more Power Points. Stat raising items. Something that gets you more Power Points. Anklet of Translocation.

Oh, and did I mention Something that gets you more Power Points? :smallbiggrin:

adonis53
2017-03-31, 02:35 AM
Actually I'm not really going for an unarmed strike build. I mainly use the weapon... currently I do the most damage in the party easily, I actually need more ways to increase my to hit mod... as far as the power points, I have 15 right now. So with my 2 powers I don't need more yet. Anklet of translocation might be good if my 50 speed isn't enough haha.

Florian
2017-03-31, 12:21 PM
Part 1:
Alright... my dm wants to make it so my cahulak (Dragon Magazine 319), aka rope dart, is counted as a ranged weapon for any reach farther than ten feet. I tried pointing out that spiked chains and whips are the same and they're melee too. Is there any source that goes into detail on the mechanics of reach weapons?

Weapons like this follow the basic rules given for daggers, so using it at range counts them as thrown weapons (The rope dart basically is a dagger that can be thrown and fetched with the rope).

adonis53
2017-03-31, 12:25 PM
Except that it is labeled as a reach weapon and not a thrown weapon because you don't throw a rope dart, you swing it with a rope to take advantage of it's momentum.

Psyren
2017-03-31, 12:30 PM
I'm a bit confused, because you have the thread tagged [PF] but you're referencing Dragon Magazine, which is 3.5.

In PF, the Rope Dart is a ranged weapon - you can find it in the Eastern (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/eastern-weapons/) section.

Elysiume
2017-03-31, 01:00 PM
Except that it is labeled as a reach weapon and not a thrown weapon because you don't throw a rope dart, you swing it with a rope to take advantage of it's momentum.Are you seeing an exception to the reach rules somewhere that are even allowing you to attack at 15'+? The cahulak only has a reach of 10', RAW. As described in DM#319, to reach 15'+ you'd basically need to throw it. The rope is only 12' long, unless I'm looking at a different DM#319.

Cahulaks: This weapon consists of a pair of four-bladed heads tied to either end of a 12-foot rope. Despite the cahulak's 10 foot reach it can be used to attack an adjacent foe.Just because it's a reach weapon doesn't mean you get to arbitrarily increase the range on it. If your DM is letting you hit at longer ranges (albeit using your dex rather than str), that's more than you get RAW.

Here are the rules on reach:

Reach Weapons: Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren't adjacent to him. Most reach weapons double the wielder's natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away.The description for cahulaks explicitly says "the cahulak's 10 foot reach"; there's nothing that indicates it is an exception to the normal rules.

Dagroth
2017-03-31, 05:02 PM
This weapon is not a "thrown weapon" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IPl2tFNihc