PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Pimp my Golem

KindOfGoodGuy
2017-03-31, 01:02 AM
So I had an odd thought. Imagine if you were a 20th level wizard with only access to the srd and spell compendium. As a means of defense you decide to craft a huge size stone golem, but sculpt it specifically so that you have a kind of hole to hide in for your adventures. After this you order it to lower its magic immunity and cast Awaken Construct to give it sentience. Finally you cast magic jar to effectively control its body.

What kind of buff spells and magic items would said golem be wearing to maximize its combat potential so that the wizard is effectively a huge juggernaut 24/7?

Inevitability
2017-03-31, 01:07 AM
Are we going by the assumption that even a creature with 'Immunity to Magic' can voluntarily lower this immunity?

ATHATH
2017-03-31, 01:10 AM
Are we going by the assumption that even a creature with 'Immunity to Magic' can voluntarily lower this immunity?
Since Immunity to Magic is treated as having an SR of "Infinite" (and creatures can use a standard action to lower their SR), I'd say that yes, yes we are going by that assumption.

Venger
2017-03-31, 01:15 AM
So I had an odd thought. Imagine if you were a 20th level wizard with only access to the srd and spell compendium. As a means of defense you decide to craft a huge size stone golem, but sculpt it specifically so that you have a kind of hole to hide in for your adventures. After this you order it to lower its magic immunity and cast Awaken Construct to give it sentience. Finally you cast magic jar to effectively control its body.

What kind of buff spells and magic items would said golem be wearing to maximize its combat potential so that the wizard is effectively a huge juggernaut 24/7?

1) unlike spell resistance, magic immunity cannot be lowered, so you can't cast awaken construct on a golem with spell immunity
2) awaken construct gives intelligence, but does not remove the necromancy immunity that it has by virtue of the construct type

That said, if you were to bypass his magic immunity somehow (simplest way is by turning your spell into a su ability) and then transform him into a suitable target, you could easily magic jar him, dismiss the polymorph effect or wait for it to time out,

as far as spells go, something to let you fly is a must. golems are slow as hell and can't run, so if anyone overpowers you, you want a chicken switch.

spell immunity to whatever obscure spells are harmful to you is always a good idea (in your case rock to mud and stone to flesh)

make sure you've got a spellblade (or armor spike, whatever) for dispel magic/ gdm. if someone turns off your magic jar, you're kind of screwed.

bite of the werex line are helpful for melee brute capacity (though you don't care about con, obviously) but without a method to beef up the duration (assuming you don't have a turning pool from sacred excorcist or similar) probably isn't worth the effort.

as far as items go it's pretty much the same as normal. you put a big dent in it from your construct immunities.

other than that, what kinds of special powers do you want your guy to have that aren't covered by wizard20?

KindOfGoodGuy
2017-03-31, 01:20 AM
1) unlike spell resistance, magic immunity cannot be lowered, so you can't cast awaken construct on a golem with spell immunity
2) awaken construct gives intelligence, but does not remove the necromancy immunity that it has by virtue of the construct type

That said, if you were to bypass his magic immunity somehow (simplest way is by turning your spell into a su ability) and then transform him into a suitable target, you could easily magic jar him, dismiss the polymorph effect or wait for it to time out,

as far as spells go, something to let you fly is a must. golems are slow as hell and can't run, so if anyone overpowers you, you want a chicken switch.

spell immunity to whatever obscure spells are harmful to you is always a good idea (in your case rock to mud and stone to flesh)

make sure you've got a spellblade (or armor spike, whatever) for dispel magic/ gdm. if someone turns off your magic jar, you're kind of screwed.

bite of the werex line are helpful for melee brute capacity (though you don't care about con, obviously) but without a method to beef up the duration (assuming you don't have a turning pool from sacred excorcist or similar) probably isn't worth the effort.

as far as items go it's pretty much the same as normal. you put a big dent in it from your construct immunities.

other than that, what kinds of special powers do you want your guy to have that aren't covered by wizard20?

That actually covers most of it, thank you. If by any chance The wizard would have to enter melee combat, are there any specific spells or items that could enhance the slam attack?

Celestia
2017-03-31, 07:44 AM
Well, I believe the Book of Erotic Fantasy has a pimp class. Or maybe it was Nymphology. Either way, that should work.

Anthrowhale
2017-03-31, 08:29 AM
Immunity to Magic and Immunity to Necromancy on a Construct can be directly bypassed via Supernatural Humanoid Essence + Supernatural Magic Jar.

Calthropstu
2017-03-31, 12:17 PM
Pimp your golem?*charges 20gp*

Jowgen
2017-03-31, 12:35 PM
There be a dragon mag article dedicated to constructs, including upgrades you can pay for. Shall have to check issue number later...

Venger
2017-03-31, 12:36 PM
There be a dragon mag article dedicated to constructs, including upgrades you can pay for. Shall have to check issue number later...

I assume you mean issue 341. that's got some oddball golems like origami and I think that's where rudimentary intelligence comes from also

Calthropstu
2017-03-31, 01:49 PM
Sorry Op, no takers. It appears your golem is not anatomically correct.

flappeercraft
2017-03-31, 01:54 PM
I remember there was a Dragon Magazine article somewhere in the 300's that gave some upgrades to golems such as giving them an extra set of arms and IIRC extra HD.

arkangel111
2017-03-31, 03:55 PM
Sorry Op, no takers. It appears your golem is not anatomically correct.

Actually he said "some kind of hole to hide in" so it COULD be anatomically correct....