PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Feats for L1 Ranger gestalt

Ghostfoot
2017-03-31, 05:13 AM
Hi all

I'm putting together a Human Ranger character for a level 1 Eberron game. We're using a variant gestalt system whereby gestalt dips are available every 5 levels only (so 1, 6, 11, etc). All 3.5 books are allowed but the 3 ToB classes are banned (feats/ maneuvers etc are allowed).

I'd quite like to go the twin-wielder route and I don't want to go into Swift Hunter. I thought perhaps the Feat Rogue variant might be fun as the gestalt dip (so a bonus feat at level 1 & 6 dips, and evasion at 6. Bunch of skill points etc).

Question 1: What feats to take? I have three at level 1 (starting feat + human + feat rogue). Given the ToB restriction perhaps some combination of Martial Study, Martial Stance, Shadow Blade, Weapon Finesse? Or is that just dumb?

Question 2: Is there another class I am overlooking that would make a better gestalt dip for a level 1 ranger?

Thanks
GF

Cavir
2017-03-31, 11:01 AM
Making sure you've seen this handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook).

Nemesis could add some nice flavor and effectiveness.

Ghostfoot
2017-04-01, 05:21 AM
Making sure you've seen this handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook).

Thx, I had seen virtually everything except that handbook.

Darrin
2017-04-01, 08:56 AM
Ok, so these gestalt rules spread the first four levels of a base class across 20 levels. Feat Rogue looks very good, but Monk might be worth considering. Wis to AC, IUS for offhand attacks, and swap Evasion for the Invisible Fist ACF. Standing Long Jump ACF at Monk 3rd (Dungeonscape). Variant fighting styles gives some variety for bonus feats... I'd probably go with Power Attack and IBR, taking Oversize TWF at 3rd. You could TWF with two morningstars, head for Shock Trooper at 6th and then work towards Three Mountain Style. I also love dual tigerskull clubs, but that would require EWP.

Are you taking any Ranger ACFs? Arcane Hunter is great if you're not going the Swift Hunter route. I generally swap Wild Empathy for Spiritual Connection and Animal Companion for Distracting Attack. I prefer Ranger casting/wands to bonus feats (and it doesn't help that the feat selection for Champion of the Wild is terrible).

Rebel7284
2017-04-01, 10:44 AM
I think the usual melee dips would be good.

Stuff like:
- Barbarian 1 for pounce.
- Cloistered Cleric 1 for up to three feats.
- Monk 1 for improved unarmed strike so you can TWF with a greatsword+kick
- Psychic Warrior 1 for useful powers
- Hit and Run variant fighter for Dex to Damage against flat footed opponents and a feat or a point of sneak attack to qualify for Craven.

You may want to take Martial Stance for that stance that gives you 20% miss chance and then take Shadow Blade to add Dex to Damage.