PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Arrow Damage Question

TentacleSurpris
2017-03-31, 09:50 AM
Lightning Arrow uses a Ranged Weapon Attack. It states "Make the attack roll as normal. The target takes 4d8 lightning damage on a hit, or half as much damage on a miss, instead o f the weapon’s normal damage."

The weapon's "normal damage" (say from a longbow) is 1d8. Or is it 1d8 plus all bonuses? I wouldn't say that bonuses from spells and other effects are part of "normal damage" because they are bonuses from other sources.

Some other sources could be:

1) Hunter's Mark?
2) Dexterity Bonus
3) Revised Ranger Favored Enemy?

So does Lightning Arrow add damage from any of these?

I don't have twitter, can someone post this to Sage Advice and ask him?

Foxhound438
2017-03-31, 12:44 PM
if i remember correctly, you're still making a ranged weapon attack, so I can definitely see having those bonuses apply, as with colossus slayer if you have that, crudader's mantle if you're within range of your paladin friend, and superiority dice if you have and choose to use them. The only thing I don't think would apply is if you happened to have a magic bow with extra dice, since those are part of the weapon's damage.

djreynolds
2017-04-01, 03:46 AM
Lightning Arrow uses a Ranged Weapon Attack. It states "Make the attack roll as normal. The target takes 4d8 lightning damage on a hit, or half as much damage on a miss, instead o f the weapon’s normal damage."

The weapon's "normal damage" (say from a longbow) is 1d8. Or is it 1d8 plus all bonuses? I wouldn't say that bonuses from spells and other effects are part of "normal damage" because they are bonuses from other sources.

Some other sources could be:

1) Hunter's Mark?
2) Dexterity Bonus
3) Revised Ranger Favored Enemy?

So does Lightning Arrow add damage from any of these?

I don't have twitter, can someone post this to Sage Advice and ask him?

No it does not. And no hunter's mark anyhow, because it is also concentration

But you can use lighting arrow as the first attack in a volley

Harley Morgan @TheCriticalFail

@JeremyECrawford You earlier stated whirlwind/volley is a single attack. Lightning arrow activates on all targets for huge aoe dmg? help?

Jeremy Crawford ‎@JeremyECrawford

@TheCriticalFail Lightning arrow affects a piece of ammunition, so it wouldn't work against all the targets of Volley.

So since volley is all enemies within 10ft and lighting arrow is all enemies also with in 10ft

The middle orc would get 4d8 (half save), and nothing else

and his buddies would get 2d8 (half save) in splash damage from lightning arrow and then you would also roll a separate attack roll versus all of them and you would add your dex modifier to those buddies and favored enemy also but no hunter's mark because it and lightning arrow are both concentration and if the paladin was nice he could place elemental weapon on you since it is touch but not divine favor since it is self