PDA

View Full Version : Half-Elf Eladrin: Would You Allow It?

QUARE
2017-03-31, 10:12 AM
I'm going to ask my DM if I can be an Eladrin Half-Elf. Similar to the variants in SCAG, I would lose Skill Versatility. In turn, I would gain Fey Step. Would you as a DM allow this?

Lucadibeppo
2017-03-31, 10:30 AM
I don't see why not. Might make for an interesting back story.

Specter
2017-03-31, 10:38 AM
Misty Step 1/day in exchange for 2 skills? Sure. I don't even think it's a good deal, since Drow Magic would give more spells.

jaappleton
2017-03-31, 10:42 AM
Misty Step 1/day in exchange for 2 skills? Sure. I don't even think it's a good deal, since Drow Magic would give more spells.

Fey Step on an Eladrin is 1x / short rest.

Putting it onto a Half Elf which gets +2 Charisma and +1 to two other stats essentially makes it the best race in the game and its not much of a contest.

Once per long rest? Yeah, no problem. Once per short rest? Ehh.... That's really pushing it.

Though my table doesn't allow flying races (IMO at-will flight is a huge benefit), so if this persons table does, I don't see the issue.

Cybren
2017-03-31, 10:46 AM
Misty step 1/short rest probably isn't better than two skills.

miburo
2017-03-31, 06:14 PM
I'd allow it. Half Moon Elf substitution gets one cantrip which is really powerful already (free Booming Blade for Rogues/Bards!). Misty Step 1/short rest doesn't seem any more powerful.

jaappleton
2017-03-31, 06:20 PM
I'd allow it. Half Moon Elf substitution gets one cantrip which is really powerful already (free Booming Blade for Rogues/Bards!). Misty Step 1/short rest doesn't seem any more powerful.

I wanted to comment on your sig. The Stormwind Fallacy. One of the first things I learned when I started playing D&D, and browsing the old WOTC forums. It's something I'll always, always remember.

As far as being on topic, I have to go back to my original comment. Depends what else you allow at the table. If your group is cool with things like winged races, or monster races, there should be no problem. If you're more... By the book, as it were, and played closer to AL rules, then I think its too much.

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-31, 08:58 PM
Though my table doesn't allow flying races (IMO at-will flight is a huge benefit), so if this persons table does, I don't see the issue.

At-will flight isn't that great, just model encounters to f*ck up with flying people, like always make archers target him and almost kill him before level 5 when there is no reanimation...

Steampunkette
2017-03-31, 09:08 PM
Where is the Eladrin written up?

jaappleton
2017-03-31, 09:12 PM
Where is the Eladrin written up?

DMG, next to the original Aasimar.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-31, 09:14 PM
At-will flight isn't that great, just model encounters to f*ck up with flying people, like always make archers target him and almost kill him before level 5 when there is no reanimation...

I agreed I don't see why people always get their panties waded up in a bunch when they talk about race is wood flying ability. Your not going to be able to fly every were. And a creature can just find cover or lay down to give disadvantage on range attacks. Then stand back up and firer back. Also your taking a big risk when your flying with out the fly spell. Because hold person, sleep or grapple and restrain and maybe a few I forgot. Can all cause you to came plummeting to the ground dealing some nice damage depending on how high up you got.

jaappleton
2017-03-31, 09:24 PM
I agreed I don't see why people always get their panties waded up in a bunch when they talk about race is wood flying ability. Your not going to be able to fly every were. And a creature can just find cover or lay down to give disadvantage on range attacks. Then stand back up and firer back. Also your taking a big risk when your flying with out the fly spell. Because hold person, sleep or grapple and restrain and maybe a few I forgot. Can all cause you to came plummeting to the ground dealing some nice damage depending on how high up you got.

Any race that gets something innately superior to a third level spell (which only lasts a short while and requires Concentration) or replicates a high level ability (Tempest Cleric, Dragon Sorc, etc) raises eyebrows to me.

Beelzebubba
2017-04-01, 05:15 AM
I've had parties with reincarnated eagles, half demons (a decade before Planescape & Tieflings) and sentient golems.

I don't see why not, just don't use it as an excuse to power creep.

Keep D&D weird!

hymer
2017-04-01, 05:30 AM
Misty step 1/short rest probably isn't better than two skills.

This. I mean, Misty Step is probably better at level 1, when skill proficiency means relatively little, and second level spells are hard to come by. But as levels go up, this changes.
That said, Misty Step never goes entirely out of style, and is particularly welcome on those with little or no magic of their own.

That said I wouldn't allow it. But that's because der ain't no Eladrin in mah campane.

Malifice
2017-04-01, 05:54 AM
Totally balanced. I'd allow it no problems.

Arkhios
2017-04-01, 07:04 AM
Yeah, sure. If a DM were to allow Eladrin in the first place. Otherwise, not a chance.

Mbarbs
2017-04-01, 08:45 AM
I'd also allow it, provided that there's not some goofy specific mechanical interaction the player is chasing that I'm just not thinking of. It makes for a good race, but I think that it's important that custom player options are actually competitive with existing options. The Misty Step ability is a very nice thing to have at level 1, where mobility options are limited both in and out of combat for most characters and uses for bonus actions are limited, but blends in more or less once a few levels are behind the character.