PDA

View Full Version : Chaulaks?

Linic
2017-03-31, 12:12 PM
I've seen this name come up a couple times but other than being compared to the spiked chain, I can not find any other information on this weapon anywhere, so I come before this mighty community in hopes that this mystery may be uncovered.

Zaq
2017-03-31, 12:17 PM
The cahulaks is a weird weapon from Dark Sun. It kind of looks like a rope with a grappling hook on either end of it. In 4e, it's basically a double weapon with the flail keyword, and the main hand side of it has reach. It's a "superior" weapon, which is 4e's equivalent of an exotic weapon. I'm not familiar with any official rules for it in 3.5, though it may show up in a Dragon issue that I'm not familiar with.

Venger
2017-03-31, 12:21 PM
I've seen this name come up a couple times but other than being compared to the spiked chain, I can not find any other information on this weapon anywhere, so I come before this mighty community in hopes that this mystery may be uncovered.

The chaulaks is identitical to the spiked chain in all respects, but I can find no reference to its damage or original source.

The cahulaks is a weird weapon from Dark Sun. It kind of looks like a rope with a grappling hook on either end of it. In 4e, it's basically a double weapon with the flail keyword, and the main hand side of it has reach. It's a "superior" weapon, which is 4e's equivalent of an exotic weapon. I'm not familiar with any official rules for it in 3.5, though it may show up in a Dragon issue that I'm not familiar with.

I can't find any mention of it in dragon magazine, but that's not to say it's not in there, they're difficult to search through.

Is it possible it's unupdated 3.0 material or that it's from a module or adventure path?

oh, it's cahulaks and not chaulaks.

it's from dragon 185 on page 11. it's a 2e weapon which mean its stats do not translate to 3e.

It's mentioned by name in issue 391 on page 8, but no stats are given.

I don't think it actually exists in 3.5, or if it does, people are using some kind of update I can't find.

GilesTheCleric
2017-03-31, 12:48 PM
Here's the info for them in 3e:

Exotic
Two-Handed Melee Weapons
Cahulak5 120 Cp 1d4/1d4 1d6/1d6 x3 -- 12 lb. Piercing

5 Double Weapon

Cahulak: A cahulak consists of two alaks (see above)
joined by a 5‐foot rope. You may fight as if fighting with
two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal
attack penalties associated with fighting with a light
offhand weapon (PH 160). A creature using a double
weapon in one hand, such as a half‐giant using a set of
cahulaks can’t use it as a double weapon. When using a
cahulak, add a +2 bonus on the opposed attack roll when
attempting to disarm an opponent (including the roll to
avoid being disarmed if the character fails to disarm his or
her opponent). Because the cahulak can wrap around an
enemy’s leg or other limb, you can make trip attacks with
it. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you
can drop the cahulak to avoid being tripped. If you strike
at an opponent 10 ft. away, you cannot use the cahulak as
a double weapon unless you possess natural reach.

Alak: An alak consists of a 2‐foot long shaft of bone or
wood, with four serrated bones tied to the sharp end, like
the four prongs of a grappling hook. When using an alak,
add a +2 bonus on the opposed attack roll when
attempting to disarm an opponent (including the roll to
avoid being disarmed if you fail to disarm your
opponent).

There's no image. If you like, I could look up their 2e stats.

Elysiume
2017-03-31, 01:42 PM
The chaulaks is identitical to the spiked chain in all respects, but I can find no reference to its damage or original source.

I can't find any mention of it in dragon magazine, but that's not to say it's not in there, they're difficult to search through.

Is it possible it's unupdated 3.0 material or that it's from a module or adventure path?

oh, it's cahulaks and not chaulaks.

it's from dragon 185 on page 11. it's a 2e weapon which mean its stats do not translate to 3e.

It's mentioned by name in issue 391 on page 8, but no stats are given.

I don't think it actually exists in 3.5, or if it does, people are using some kind of update I can't find.I actually looked it up for this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?519976-PF-Rules-Advice-Please), coincidentally. They have stats in DM#319, page 40. Exotic, two-handed, 1d6/2d4/2d6, x2, 25cp (made of bone/stone/wood), 1lb, piercing, 10' reach. You can drop it to avoid tripping yourself if you get tripped during your trip attack, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls to disarm an opponent, and can attack at both 5' and 10'.

Linic
2017-03-31, 01:43 PM
People like you are why this site is the best, thank you all for the quick, great feedback!

Sadly your right, in that it's basicly a spiked chain and the only reason it'd see use is from a flavor aspect :(