PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age: The Sinful March

Celticbear
2017-03-31, 12:43 PM
Nearly one year ago, the world almost ended. During a civil war spearheaded by the traitor Logain, an Archedemon had risen and with it an army of Darkspawn that ravaged the lands. Both the Archedemon and the civil war were stopped by an elven mage named Galelendrel backed by an army of Dwarves, Mages, the forces of the Hinterlands, and a plethora of Werewolves. After the war against Logain was over, Galelendrel helped the Werewolves destroy any of the Dalish elves still left in the Brecilian Forest, and then went with his now loyal army of Werewolves to Rule the Arling of Amaranthine.

That is not where your story begins however. Your story starts in a town off of the foothold of the Frostbacks: Haven. There you have built a reputation of cold blooded mercenaries who get the job done, no matter what it is. Your status is depleting however due to an increase of Templar activity in the area (drawing the Chantry's eye as hired thugs isn't a good way to improve your health).

After a long day of no work, you gather yourselves into a tavern, ready to drink your sorrows away. However, before any of you can take the first sip, a man in heavy platemail baring the Templar's sigil walks into the bar, and raises his hands in an attept to gain attention.

I am Knight-Commander Ealiues, and I come to offer any able bodied man or woman a job. Warden-Commander Galelendrel has revealed that the Urn of Sacred Ashes is held within these mountains, and a team of Templars including myself are going to investigate this claim. However, due to the reconstruction of the Circle of Magi, we are at a loss for men. The Chantry is willing to pay anyone who joins in this expedition a sum of fifty golden sovereigns to each man who helped us recover the Urn.

Space Lawyer
2017-03-31, 01:29 PM
Badger looks up from his oversized mug. This Ealiues was no fool; come in to a place like this and announce you've got the kind of gilt to be offering fifty gold sovereigns casual-like, and wearing armor was just good sense. Of course, the Templar sigil was just as good as any armor. Nobody wanted to be starting a personal war with those zealots.

"Oi, commander, over here. I think we're the sort you're looking for." Badger pulls a scroll-tube out of his bag, and pulls from it an unnecessarily flamboyant sheet of heavy paper. Emblazoned at the top was the seal and name of the company, with the body consisting of the standard contract terms. A section at the bottom allowed for the addition of terms. Always count on a dwarf to be prepared for contracts.

"Simple terms. Half up front, half on the job done, and we keep the spoils. 'Course, your goal being this Urn, you'll keep that."

EarthenRite
2017-04-02, 06:49 PM
Raleth Eldwynn raised his cup to his lips as he listened to the dwarf begin the usual pitch. Had he not been interested in the offer, he would have stood up and walked away. It would not do to cause a scene here, especially when the Templars were notoriously easy to anger. Even by something as simple as observing traditions that has been around for centuries and were under no authority of their precious Chantry. It irked Eldwynn, but not as much as their lowering stores and the lack of coin jingling in his pouch. He could hold his tongue.

He looked at the others, trying to guage their response. They had become as close as any mercenary company, and he was curious as to how they would take to the offer.

He did not like the idea of being absorbed by the templars, however. Sure that his comrades could at least pick out the basics, and the templar would not, he spoke low and in Elvish. "We work on our own though, Badger. Do not let him think we work for any more than his coin."

Sahe
2017-04-02, 08:36 PM
So far, Haven had not been kind to The Frost Biters mercenary company. There was no work for them here and no work meant, no coins would join the two lonely silvers of Hrala's purse. For this evening they had settled in the local tavern for some ale and a thin stew with some bread. At least for tonight their stomachs wouldn't be empty, hunger was a feeling everyone living in the Frostbacks knew, but no one missed.

They chose a table in the small tavern and Hrala lifted the massive axe from her shoulders and leaned it against the table. Like her, the weapon was tall and sturdy, while the many scars told of how many battles they both had been through. As they waited, Hrala's eyes scanned the room trying to make out if a merchant or another one with the need and coin for their services had arrived since the morning...but they were out of luck it seemed.

The ale came, and Hrala just wanted to take her first frustrated sip when the door swung wide open and a man entered the tavern, dressed in heavy plate, as if he was about to ride into battle. A Templar of course. His proposition was tempting, they sure could use the coin, but also suspicious. The payment was exorbitant by her standards, so naturally she suspected something was up. There was also always the risk of working with a Templar, when they would be so quick to dismiss her as an abomination of they knew the truth.

Of course Badger lept at the opportunity and big payday before anyone else had a chance, waving the Knight-Commander over and offering their services. Hrala gave the man a taxing look, her skepticism was obvious. "Say Templar, a fifty sovereigns is a lot of coin, where is the catch?"

Celticbear
2017-04-02, 09:16 PM
There has been strange activity in the deep roads near what we believe is the final resting place of the ashes says the Knight-Commander as he skims over Badger's offer.

Space Lawyer
2017-04-02, 09:26 PM
Badger nods to Raleth. "Yes, ourselves, coin," he replies in broken and terribly-accented Elvish.

To the commander he says, "Oh, the Deep Roads is it? Thats a mighty difference from just somewhere "within these mountains". Might want to explain that part with your pitch. 'Course'n you won't be getting much volunteers then, but I suppose that might be the point. Not gotta pay yer fifty sovereigns to some farmboy thats never swung an axe at a neck if he gets ate by the things lurking down there."

Celticbear
2017-04-02, 10:03 PM
It's probably nothing. Most likely dwarven warriors trying to cripple the darkspawn after they underwent those losses after the blight. Do you have a quill, I didn't expect any who could write, let alone lay legal documents, In this town says the Knight Commander as he puts the scroll down.

EarthenRite
2017-04-03, 07:27 PM
Raleth raised an eyebrow at the quickness with which the templar accepted their conditions and contract. He set down his glass and spoke, this time in the ordinary tongue.

"Where can we find you when we have completed the job?"

Celticbear
2017-04-03, 07:42 PM
The Templar order will be with you, along with the others we have recruited. We shall pay you in the chantry, here in haven, after we return.

Space Lawyer
2017-04-03, 07:53 PM
Badger pulls a bone sharpened for writing and an ink vial out of his bag. Damn, ink vial was near empty, and what little there was had dried. "Gimme a sec." He dumps some ashes, remnants of his cigar, in the vial, followed by a bit of beer. Some vigorous shaking, and he had serviceable enough ink.

"Alright, that should do. It'll be a pleasure doin' business with you, Commander."

Celticbear
2017-04-03, 08:56 PM
The Knight-Commander accepts the ink, signs the parchment, and gives Badger back the scroll.
We'll be expecting you at sun-down, so it would be a good idea to sleep and then pack your belongings. If the report the Warden-Commander gave us was correct, there should be bandits and worse inside the temple.

moondoggy
2017-04-03, 09:22 PM
Listening to the others talk about their new contract Edwyna stares into her mug, swirling the contents within. "Another 'help me' job floated down from the Chantry. You templars would probably be out there looking for Andraste's glowing tits if the Blight-Ender said he saw them."

Draining her mug approaches Ealiues, staring him dead in the face. "Heading down through the Deep Roads is always trouble," she says, jabbing a finger into his polished breastplate. "Darkspawn are always watching for trespassers. Even if you don't see them, they're there. Past that, robbers and 'worse', you said? All for some ceremonial pot that might not even be there? No wonder you're digging through the dregs looking for expendables."

With a wry chuckle she pats Badger on the shoulder and unsteadily saunters off towards the bar. "You're lucky you found us, mister Knight-Commander. Isn't anyone in the surrounding lands who'd be better guarding your shiny arse. Us Frost Biters always bite back. Oi, Jonsen, I'm dry over here," she says to the barkeep with a swing of her mug. "Could be dying in the Deeps tomorrow so make it stiff."

Celticbear
2017-04-04, 02:59 PM
I'm on it! says the bartender.

The Knight-Commander goes from shock, growling anger, cool calm, and then indifference in roughly ten seconds before he mutters Mercenaries, and then wanders off.

EarthenRite
2017-04-04, 06:44 PM
Raleth leaned in and lowered his voice.

"In my experience the only time there is not even a token amount of haggling is when the person who's paying you either plans to kill you, or thinks you'll die doing the job. Not even any casual amount of personal attacks exchanged either? Something is fishy about this deal"

He leaned back, reaching out to run his hand along the familar carved wood of his staff, laying it down across his lap. He drew a small carving knife and made a notch. Another job signed on for. Later, he'd place another lower to signify the job's completion.

"Not that I mind overly much. People and things scarier than templars have tried to get us killed."

Sahe
2017-04-05, 06:06 PM
A hearty laugh came from Hrala, when Edwyna chimed in. The woman was always good to make her laugh and she joined her in another round of drinks. If she was honest, she was a bit nervous. Working with Templars on a job that seemed awfully suspicious, as the Elf had pointed out. What really worried her though, was that they would be under the mountain in the Deep Roads for weeks. It was the realm of Korth, the Mountain Father, and Hrala wondered of the Blue Raven would even follow her there. She was certain, that the Lady of the Skies had no eyes there as her messengers didn't travel there. If she were to die in the Deep Roads, there would be no proper burial, her soul would never find her way to the Lady.

Nervously she played with the simple braided strap around her wrist, it was made of a blue, a white and a black strand and bound losely, but with a strong knot. Her membership of to the Frostbiters was bound to that simple wristband. She had sworn to fight with them until the day the knot loosened and the band came off. It was the Avvar way, as they believed that nothing had permanence. There was a beginning and an end to everything.

"I agree, I don't like this. Templar, the Roads, and quite happy to flash around a lot of coin.", she looked around at each of them, "Promise me, should I die, drag my corpse out of there and give me a proper Avvar burial."

moondoggy
2017-04-05, 06:36 PM
"Aye, the old Sky Burial wasn't it? Strew your corpse across the snow for the birds? I'll take care of it. I owe you that much for keeping that Ogre off me." Edwyna takes a long swig from her mug, wiping her face with her sleeve. "I still remember the look on its face when I sunk an arrow into its eye and you buried your axe in its chest. Still got that charm you made from the horn, too. Good times..." She sits for a few moments in silence, again studying the contents of her cup as if searching for an answer in its amber-hued contents.

"As long as I can see you, you'll live. There's not much that can keep on fighting with an arrow in its throat."

Sahe
2017-04-05, 07:43 PM
"Yes", Hrala said, nodding towards Edwyna as a 'thank you'. There were rites that should be performed, but they weren't Avvar and she never taught them. When Edwyna mentioned it, Hrala looked down on the charm, she carved out of the ogre's bone. She had thought about using the full horn to adorn her helmet, but the horns of the monster had been splintered in the fight.

She grinned at the other woman. "Aye, that was one for the songs", Hrala said while she delved back into memories of that fight as well. "You forgot that it had already grabbed me. Your arrow saved me...hitting it past me, at that distance, maybe worthy of a legend mark", Hrala continued and chugged from her ale again. She had never really thought about giving each of the Biters their own legend mark. At least the Elf would most likely more agreeable to a mark than Hrala butchering his name or just calling him Dalish or Elf.

EarthenRite
2017-04-05, 07:53 PM
"You are not going to die before your time, any of you," Raleth smiled at the rest of the team. "Well, at least not as long as I still am standing. Your songs I trust will mention the contribution of..."

He frowned a little, catching himself in the need for discretion, even in their telling of war stories. He lowered his voice and added, "...healing magics."

His good humour returned he said, "At least a verse or two. I think I cut quite a poetic figure that day, if I do say so myself. Shall I take the liberty of securing our usual supplies?"

Celticbear
2017-04-06, 08:06 AM
As the sun sets, and the fools who wanted gold crowd around the mountain base, your group joins them. It is a great climb, filled with nothing but noise and uncomfortable glares, but eventually the Knight-Commander holds his hands high in the air.
This door... it is our destination. he says as he pull an odd looking key from his pouch, and inserts it into the door. It opens, revealing a massive antechamber with numerous side chambers going this way and that. To the far north of the chamber lies a great staircase.
The Knight-Commander wastes no time gawking however, and starts to issue orders. he eventually gets to you, saying, Your task is to scout the path beyond the staircase there. If you find anything of import, do not touch it. Come right back to us with post-haste.

Sahe
2017-04-07, 10:46 AM
Out of all the members of the expedition Hrala probably enjoyed the hike up the mountain the most, despite the heavy load she was carrying. After all this was what she was used to and while the valley and Haven soon disappeared behind them in the fog, the sky was clear for the sun that slowly rose, bathing the peaks in red light. Hrala was no Skywatcher, but she interpreted this a good sign, the Lady was with them.

Despite that, the Avvar woman got slightly nervous when they finally reached the gates and ventured into the ancient cathedral. The antechamber was gigantic in it's proportions and size and even gave Hrala, who had little sense for architecture and masonry, a moment of pause. But there was little time to take in the scenery as the Knight-Commander already ran around and barked orders. Hrala responded with a half-assed salute and then looked at her companions. "Ancient Flatlander ruins here we come...let's get to it", she said and lit a torch before leading the way upwards and beyond the staircase.

moondoggy
2017-04-07, 06:35 PM
Ed follows behind Hrala, an arrow at the ready. "This sure is some piece of work... I can't imagine how long it took to build something like this," she said, awestruck. "You guys ever seen ruins like this?" she asks the others.

Space Lawyer
2017-04-07, 08:28 PM
Badger chuckles. "Aye, right, we'll be sure to leave any shinies right where they are and tell someone else all about it. Don't worry, we'll do what you're payin' us for." He holds his morningstars out horizontal and swings around, limbering up for whatever lay ahead. There was danger and gold to be had, just how he liked it.

EarthenRite
2017-04-08, 01:29 PM
Raleth looked to Edwynna as she asked the question and shook his head, using his staff to brace himself as he followed into the door. "I've not seen ruins like this before. Though ruins tend to attract scavengers, and a bauble like what Commander says is in here is likely to be well guarded and not just by ordinary means."

He raised his eyes to examine the ceiling as well, looking around their group entirely, keeping his senses open to the flow of magic, in case there was any warding present within.

Celticbear
2017-04-09, 09:02 AM
As you walk through the ruin, you can see the long dead remains of what look top be bandits as well as tremendous piles of ash along side them. It is obvious that someone as been here before you, albeit a long time ago.

Perception checks from all of you. You can use smelling, seeing, searching, or hearing focuses on this one. Please use rollv.

EarthenRite
2017-04-11, 08:32 PM
Stepping over the nearest of the bodies he moved to a more advantageous position to look down the corridor. The pull of magic tugged his senses and he felt it, like the strands on a lute. No, actually. Nothing that familiar. These were magics woven by Tevinter hands, shaped by Tevinter will. He whispered to his companions.

"This place reeks of Imperium magic. It is likely that there are many magical traps around."

It makes sense, he mused, given what they were seeking. He looked down for but a moment when he saw the sheen of what looked like glass. He squatted down, reaching out with the point of his staff to gently shift the bottles before picking them up.

"Our lucky day. They appear to be potions. Not that they did these poor souls much good."

He reached out to touch the bones gingerly, speaking only audibly enough for the corpse to hear if it still could the words "dareth shiral" before rising again, holding out the potions in case any of the company desired to lay claim to them.

Celticbear
2017-04-12, 11:45 AM
I assume you guys are ready to move on. If not, just ignore this post.

As you move throughout the tomb, you find a secret passageway that leads to the outside as well as a way further into the tomb, but this way appears to be blocked off by some obstruction. Try and break through the door, or take a walk outside?

Space Lawyer
2017-04-12, 12:28 PM
Badger tucks one of the reddish potions into a belt pocket. He was no scholar of magic, but it always seemed like the red ones were good for healing wounds.

"Looks like we need to do some mining and hauling. Lucky for you all, you've got a dwarf. Now, embarrasingly 'nuff, I only brought a solid hammer and chisel. Anybody think to bring a pickaxe?"

Sahe
2017-04-13, 06:33 AM
"Imperium Magic?", Hrala asked with uncertain suspicion in her voice, "I thought Andraste was burried here."

Hrala didn't know too much about Andraste and the Maker, only the basics. She was a great warrior woman who fought against the Tevinter Imperium and was betrayed by her Avvar husband Maferath, one of the reasons for the distrust between the Avvar tribes and the flatlanders.

She gave the potions they found a critical look, by all accounts they should've dried up if not for the magic they must contain. She didn't take any of the bottles, leaving them for the others, should they get into trouble she'd be in the thick of it and there was no reason to risk that she'd accidently break the valuable ressource in a fight.

-----

The group continued on, until they reached a blocked doorway and a passage that apparently led outside. She could smell the fresh mountain air and it was pretty clear what her opinion would be on how to proceed. She looked at the dwarf.

"I brought my axes, but I'm not dulling them chipping away at stone, I vote we go outside."

EarthenRite
2017-04-14, 08:08 AM
Raleth nodded. "Outside has my vote as well. Any moment to breathe fresh air won't be unwelcome as we venture deeper."

He put the other vials into his belt pouch and pressed forward outside, on alert for the magical traps he felt sure would be nearby.

Space Lawyer
2017-04-14, 11:36 AM
"Ah, buncha damn surface-dwellers. Always wanna be out where the temp keeps chhangin' and the birds be swoopin' an ****tin'". Otto grumbles.

Celticbear
2017-04-14, 12:11 PM
(I take it we all want to go outside at this point.

Going through the passage way, you eventually get to a clearing covered in snow near the top of the mountain. The only feature of this location is a gong at the very center of the clearing and a doorway to the far end.

Before you can react, the door towards the far end opens, and a man in red robes with the Templar insignia upon the center of his chest walks out. he appears to be a very sick man with boils bubbling all over his face and hands. He carries a staff in his right hand, and in the other a wicked looking dagger. Behind him walks nearly fifty other sick men, each wearing the same robes with the Templar insignia. What do you do?

Space Lawyer
2017-04-16, 04:36 PM
Badger's morningstars leap into his hands. "Oi, back off you lot! Keep yer plagued selves well-away!" To be fair, Badger couldn't actually tell if this was any sort of plague or not. However, boils and daggers were best kept at a distance.

Sahe
2017-04-18, 08:38 AM
Hrala's joy to be under an open sky only lasted for a short moment until she spotted the large group of sick men with Templar insignia approaching them. They were armed and didn't look friendly. Hrala readied her axe and shield as she expected a fight and her little group was hilariously outnumbered.

"If they attack, stay together and retreat back into the stone. Their numbers are worthless there", she said to the others.

Celticbear
2017-04-18, 08:50 AM
The sick men seem to ignore you. What appears to be the leader of the bunch raises his hand, and two more robed men come from a cave at the far end of the clearing with an urn. They put the urn in front of the leader, and then go back into the line of the others. The leader proceeds to bang the gong once, twice, then three times. All is quiet in the clearing, until a great roar is heard. A great purple high dragon rises far above the clouds, and lands merely thirty feet away from the group of sick men. The leader raises his daggers high, shouts something in Tevinter, and brings it into his hand. A red mist fills the air as the robed man fall, their blood drained from their bodies. The blood flows to the urn, corrupting it, and then the urn explodes in black hue of death and destruction. The red mist, now coupled with what appears to be a cyclone of ashes, rushes towards the dragon, filling the area of its head. The land quiet again, and what is left is a now red dragon and the leader of the sick men.

Space Lawyer
2017-04-18, 10:44 AM
A string of unusually creative and eloquent Dwarvish expletives come hissing from Badger's mouth. He sits with his back against a rock, breathing heavily. "A dragon, blood magic, cultists, no no no. We did not sign up for this. The templars want this urn so bad, they can send in all of the sword-wving armored goons they have. Can't spend no gold if I'm dead and crispy in a dragon"

moondoggy
2017-04-18, 06:51 PM
Ed had kept quiet and vigilant throughout the brief foray into the ruins, but seeing this... "What have these bastards done..?" Her voice was hushed, mixed with awe, disgust and fear. Staring towards the beast for a moment, she snapped backto reality and turned to her group."We've got to do something! Vint scum are never up to any good and this, well this looks really bad. Worse even than the Fairstone job. We- we've got to... Damn! A magic dragon... How do we even- ARGH!" she bellowed, throwing up her hands. "This is why I hate vints! They're always raising the bar for evil!" She paced the snow, a bundle of impotent rage. "Do- do we fight this abomination? I'm ready if that's the plan, always ready to smear vint blood, but I don't wanna get you guys killed. Badger... Boss. Friend. What's the plan?" she asked, pleading for some kind of direction. "I'm way too pissed off to think right now."

Celticbear
2017-04-18, 07:40 PM
My disciples! You there by the door, you shall be my disciples! says the leader in an excited tone.

Come hither! I mean you all no harm! Let us speak like gentlemen, and I shall treat as such. If the holy spirit unsettles you I shall send it away! shouts the leader as he waves the dragon off. The dragon then flies back into the mountains, roaring at the wind.

Space Lawyer
2017-04-19, 07:04 PM
"The plan? The plans that we save our sorry hides and get out of here! I'm not one to confuse bravery n' stupidity, an' stayin anywhere near some dragon-controllin blood-mage s'bout the stupidest idea out there. Now, RUN!" Badger lurches from his hiding place, full sprint back the way they came.