PDA

View Full Version : DM Help one of my players wants a diffrent familar. any ideas

Peter stonefist
2017-03-31, 01:02 PM
so one of my players wants a different familiar but can not cast the spell.
any help will be considered

Specter
2017-03-31, 01:16 PM
Well, I guess he'll have to learn the spell somehow, huh?

But really, any snall animal works. Iguana, parrot, crab, worm, hamster... go crazy.

Peter stonefist
2017-03-31, 01:20 PM
thank you .

nickl_2000
2017-03-31, 01:21 PM
...hamster...

Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!

MadGrady
2017-03-31, 01:21 PM
I think even Volo's guide mentions as long as it's considered tiny (or maybe small in some cases), you can pick it. Really what you're looking for is something with just a couple of HP and a CR less than 1 (there might be 1 or two exceptions to this rule, so take it as general guidelines). If it's a wizard, can't attack with it anyway, so really its just an extension of his senses and maker of touch attack spells, which isn't crazy.

If the stats of the creature are similar to those already listed, I say go for it.

MadGrady
2017-03-31, 01:22 PM
He could also just purchase a pet, and use animal handling to train it.

sir_argo
2017-03-31, 01:45 PM
skunk

Hrugner
2017-03-31, 05:25 PM
How did he get the familiar in the first place and why is it not repeatable?

Vorpalchicken
2017-03-31, 11:21 PM
Urchin background?

NNescio
2017-03-31, 11:26 PM
I think even Volo's guide mentions as long as it's considered tiny (or maybe small in some cases), you can pick it. Really what you're looking for is something with just a couple of HP and a CR less than 1 (there might be 1 or two exceptions to this rule, so take it as general guidelines). If it's a wizard, can't attack with it anyway, so really its just an extension of his senses and maker of touch attack spells, which isn't crazy.

If the stats of the creature are similar to those already listed, I say go for it.

That's a variant rule, and taking the variant rule "as it is" is absurd, because Demilich.

Even if you exclude Demilich, this is treading on the Chainlock's toes if you grab the Imp or Quasit.

Beelzebubba
2017-04-01, 05:24 AM

The truly legal way...
Wait until level 4/8/12
Feat: Magic Initiate
Spell: Find Familiar
Fluff the familiar to what you want from combining or riffing off of the stats of the other familiar options

If they want just the familiar, it's a big part of the character concept they want, and you're open to home-brewing, maybe give them only the 'cast Find Familiar 1x day' part, in exchange for dropping something else, like a skill, or delaying another class trait by a level or two?

Really, the system is flexible, that's not a huge thing, just be careful not to power creep, it'll be fine.

Strill
2017-04-01, 06:42 AM

Look at the Variant Familiar rules in the Monster Manual. They cover finding creatures in the wild and getting them to follow you.

Dalebert
2017-04-01, 05:35 PM
Point out the Magic Initiate feat to him if he can't cast it normally.

Really what you're looking for is something with just a couple of HP and a CR less than 1 (there might be 1 or two exceptions to this rule, so take it as general guidelines).

Standard familiars are all CR 0 actually. I think pseudodragons and sprites are both less than CR 1 so you're treading on chain lock territory just to go over CR 0.

MrStabby
2017-04-01, 05:59 PM
I have allowed a player that wanted a familiar to split the magic initiate feat into a half feat that gives the ritual spell and a +1 to a stat.