PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimization and role play help Aasimar Redemption Paladin/ Tranquility Monk

Nishant
2017-03-31, 01:37 PM
With the new unearthed arcana having been released and discussed at length since Monday. we've had several people talk about how each of these two archetypes stepping on the other's base classes' toes; one has a superior LOH, and the other has a better unarmored defense. Now, early on someone mentioned adding a level of monk to the redemption paladin so it can use a quarter staff with dex that way. That of course actually reminded me of the Tranquility Monk from an earlier unearthed arcana, and I began to wonder how the two archetypes could work together to make an odd, but unique character. (Though admittedly Garret from the Quest for Camelot movie is beginning to come to mind.)

My issue however, is having never even considered a paladin/monk build I'm not quite sure where to go off of. I know I'll have to start paladin, as to deal with the multiclass requirement, and that both classes are a tad front-loaded.

The focus of the character would end up being diplomacy/ Healer, using my spell slots and various versions of LOH (racial, paladin, and monk) to aid the party. I likely won't have to put too much into dex, as the paladin's Unarmored defense mixed with tranquility monk's sanctuary should keep me out of direct trouble, and when I do attack with my quarterstaff, my dualing fighting style should help shore up a little bit of the damage.

Outside of some basic theory crafting, though, I'm still rather lost, and would love some advice on the subject.

Herobizkit
2017-04-01, 02:24 AM
At first glance, seems fine.

Caveat: UA material is neither balanced nor intended for multi-classing.

Re. Multi-class requirement: You must meet the m/c requirements of both classes in order to m/c. So, out the gate, you need at least 13's in Str, Dex, Wis AND Cha.

Defenses: take the higher between Monk's Unarmored Defense and the Paladin's Armor of Peace.

Levels: You'll be really great come Paladin 5/Monk 3. Hope your DM does fast leveling or starts you at level 3 or higher.

Nishant
2017-04-01, 12:16 PM
Ah, I should have clarified. My DM changed the paladin requirement to STR or DEX because he found it odd that they limited dex paladins. And you're right about the UA multiclass issue, but we figured since I'm not trying to take the most optimal potential power-gamey stuff (Deepstalking-Assassin-Paladins) It'd be okay, since I'm more focusing on being a secondary tank/healer in combat, and a face outside of it.

We tend to start at 3-5, as far as levels go.

Prophes0r
2017-04-01, 05:22 PM
If you are going to take monk levels, take exactly 1 or 4. 1 is enough to let you use a quarterstaff as a dex weapon, and let's you unarmed attack at 1d4+dex as a bonus when you hit with your staff as an attack action.

Or just go straight Paladin. Warrior of Reconciliation isn't very useful. Nowhere near useful enough to worry about giving up class levels.