PDA

View Full Version : Gnomish Cunning vs Halfing Bravery

Garresh
2017-03-31, 02:35 PM
Which do you think is better? It seems to me that fear effects are the most common type of will save, and most of those aren't magical, but the few magic saves are devastating when they occur. What do you guys think?

Edit: Extrapolating a bit further, if you compare those racials to proficiency in wisdom saving throws(because humans OP), would they be better or worse overall than general proficiency?

Addaran
2017-03-31, 02:41 PM
Which do you think is better? It seems to me that fear effects are the most common type of will save, and most of those aren't magical, but the few magic saves are devastating when they occur. What do you guys think?

IMO, it's easily the Gnomish Cunning. Getting advantage against fear just take the Heroism spell (lvl 1). Getting advantage against all 3 mental magic saves, i'm not sure you can get it easily, aside from blanket advantage vs magic (abjurer and oaths of the ancient i think?)

While fear is annoying, it usually just make you run away or not get closer. It's not as bad as being dominated, held for auto-crit, crown of madnessed so you hit a friend, etc.

JackPhoenix
2017-03-31, 02:45 PM
I think the most common type of wis saves is actually Charm, not Fear, so Fey Origins propably beats Halfling Bravery on that front. And I would take Gnomish Cunning over both, but it depends on game... in mine, magic effects are more common.

Garresh
2017-03-31, 02:56 PM
IMO, it's easily the Gnomish Cunning. Getting advantage against fear just take the Heroism spell (lvl 1). Getting advantage against all 3 mental magic saves, i'm not sure you can get it easily, aside from blanket advantage vs magic (abjurer and oaths of the ancient i think?)

While fear is annoying, it usually just make you run away or not get closer. It's not as bad as being dominated, held for auto-crit, crown of madnessed so you hit a friend, etc.

What about all the mental saves which aren't magical in nature? Fear is the biggest one(except the spell which is covered), but a lot of mental saves are nonmagical.

DivisibleByZero
2017-03-31, 02:59 PM
I think Gnomish Cunning vs. Halfling Luck is the better question.

Addaran
2017-03-31, 03:03 PM
What about all the mental saves which aren't magical in nature? Fear is the biggest one(except the spell which is covered), but a lot of mental saves are nonmagical.

Aside from fears, i can't think about much mental saves that are non-magical.

Of course, it probably depends on the DM, since i don't think it's ever explicitly written if something like a mind flayer's blast is magical.

Garresh
2017-03-31, 03:07 PM
So how would you say those racials stack up to humans with resilient(Wisdom)?